Anyone flying near Grosse Ile, Michigan?

Reaction score
As title states, anyone? Reason I ask, I've been trying to get ahold of the municipal airport there for a while and have been unsuccessful. I'm just barely inside the 5 mile radius and I'm trying to ask for permission. I've tried to call and email and nothing works.

If they don't respond, does this just mean I'm not given permission? Curious to hear if there is anyone else in the area who had to ask for permission to this specific airport.

What are your intentions? Are you going to be Flying closer to the airport ? Dont sweat it if your not. I fly at my place of employment and they are within 5 miles of major airport . I was able to go up 400 feet even without any warnings.

No, I don't plan on being anywhere near the airport at all, I'm just barely inside the 5 mile radius, but I'm trying to go by the law and get permission. I don't want to get into any sort of trouble by assuming it would be OK. Also, I have no need to even going up to the 400 feet limit. Just find it strange that I can't get ahold of these guys.

AirNav shows the airport manager (Mike Duker) & the FBO both on the same tel #: 734-675-0155. Also lists the manager's email as mduker at grosseileairport dot com

Is that what you have?

If you don't have any luck via phone or email, you can always try a visit during business hours (8AM-5PM according to their website).

In the worst case, your strict responsibility is to notify the airport of your operation: leave them a voicemail, send them a fax, etc. and let them know your location and plans for the operation. Per the AOPA Best Practices document, "Airport management may not say the drone operation is approved, but all that is required is notification for drone operations to take place." In other words, if the airport manager doesn't return your call and tell you that it is hazardous or otherwise unapproved, you've fulfilled your responsibility (obviously this is all assuming that the operation can be completed safely and without interfering with airport traffic).

Good luck.

AirNav shows the airport manager (Mike Duker) & the FBO both on the same tel #: 734-675-0155. Also lists the manager's email as mduker at grosseileairport dot com

Is that what you have?

If you don't have any luck via phone or email, you can always try a visit during business hours (8AM-5PM according to their website).

In the worst case, your strict responsibility is to notify the airport of your operation: leave them a voicemail, send them a fax, etc. and let them know your location and plans for the operation. Per the AOPA Best Practices document, "Airport management may not say the drone operation is approved, but all that is required is notification for drone operations to take place." In other words, if the airport manager doesn't return your call and tell you that it is hazardous or otherwise unapproved, you've fulfilled your responsibility (obviously this is all assuming that the operation can be completed safely and without interfering with airport traffic).

Good luck.

Thank you. Yes, that is the information I have, and I've left voicemails to that number, but I did not know that just notifying them was enough, I was under the impression that I needed some sort of acknowledgment / approval from them. Now I feel bad, I've probably been bugging this person - I've left at least 6 voice mails over the course of the past 4 months or so.

In case you haven't seen it, a good reference for US ops:
Best Practices for Flying your Drone near an Airport - AOPA
(Pretty sure this page is not members-only since the knowbeforeyoufly website refers to it too.)

At the risk of stating the obvious . . . notification alone is suitable for an uncontrolled airport - I wouldn't try flying next to Detroit Metro after leaving the tower manager a voicemail on Friday night an hour before your op! For towered airports, it is probably better to get positive confirmation. (Though they can be challenging to reach too.)

Fly safe and have fun.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik