Anyone flying in the Blizzard?

Reaction score
Looks like it would be fun, except the winds, if it was 20mph and under I would try it out. heh.

I would definitely consider flying in the snow today, but the winds are just too bad. 30+mph

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Snow isn't that bad. Its not really wet until it melts. All you need to do is cover the vent holes and you should be good. The airflow from the props will blow the snow away before it could stick and possibly melt. Just like a car driving 60mph during snow, it wont stick or melt, you don't even need to use windshield wipers.

Reactions: kptw_pilot
If you have little concern about you A/C it would be a blast. But on the other side, it would not be wise. If you tape off the vents and make shields to keep snow and moisture out of the motors would help. Not sure how long it would take snow to cover the camera lens either.

Btw, if the snow was heavy, the line of sight would be extremely limited reducing the fun factor.

I would be all for it... Only about a foot here but still would be fun. Waiting for the snow to stop coming down so hard and I'll probably give it a go

I doubt it would stick to the copter. The props would prevent it. My concern would be getting moisture in the motors.

Phantom 3 Pro / iPad Air 2

Yeah, I thought the same as all you guys with the fog last weekend... Pretty sure the cause of the crash was the props icing up as was 17 degrees out also. I have flown at this temp several times before for much longer with no issues. The only diff was the humidity.
Lesson learned, do not fly in a combination of cold and high humidity or this will happen...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Ohh it looks like I just got away with it! Our area was covered in fog so I flew straight up to get out of it. I did get a series of nice photos above the fog though this was one of them.

dji_0004-jpg.41261

Whilst it was up though I did think the motors sounded 'rough' I thought it could just be the sound distorted through the fog but I landed quickly, just in case. As I took the props off I noticed they were all iced up. Looking at your story I got away with it. :) Lesson learned.

Reactions: bobomet
Ohh it looks like I just got away with it! Our area was covered in fog so I flew straight up to get out of it. I did get a series of nice photos above the fog though this was one of them.

dji_0004-jpg.41261

Whilst it was up though I did think the motors sounded 'rough' I thought it could just be the sound distorted through the fog but I landed quickly, just in case. As I took the props off I noticed they were all iced up. Looking at your story I got away with it. :) Lesson learned.

So how cool would it be if another a/c was up there and able to take a photo of your a/c there in the back ground. Awesome!

Amazingly after the fall from 140 feet high, the only damage was a broken gimbal guard, did its job, and a lost led cover... Swapped out the props just for good measure, but no apparent damage... Feel like I dodged a bullet!

and it started up ok?

When I found it one prop was still spinning. I had to pull the battery to stop it, nothing worked from the controller after the crash. I'm assuming the other 3 motors were off on overload or something. Took her home, let her warm up fully and went through standard preflight checks and tests with blades off, then flew around the living room a little with no issues, have had several flights since then...

brushless motors work fine even when wet. you can run a brushless motor underwater with no issues, make sure to put some triflow on the bearings and run it again to prevent the bearings from rusting/locking up...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.