Anyone encounter hostility while flying your drone?

Reaction score
I had a run in the other day while flying my drone. I am sure the guy was slightly unbalanced and he was going on and on how drones are invading his privacy. I was flying over the ocean and had launched from a park. At first I thought he was kidding then I realized he was serious and things started to escalate. He said he had called the police and they were going to confiscate my drone...LOL! I told him no problem let them come. By the way I am a retired police officer from the same PD that he called. Waited awhile and they didn't show so I left before this guy got any more crazy. I called dispatch and IDed myself and told them if in fact they did get a call the guy was nuts and if the beat man wanted any more information they could contact me at home. Dispatcher said the beat man met with the guy and also determined he was whacked...

I fly above the local parks and everyone that I have encountered just seemed thrilled to have actually seen one in person lol. I don't live in a neighborhood so I don't have frequent run ins

I encountered few gentlemen who casually asked me how difficult it is to get FAA registration and how to prove that we have it. I know they wanted to know if I followed the process of registration, I explained them its 5 minutes job to get it done and this is one of the ways to display it on your drone.

No more questions asked.

Reactions: SCGENE
I was flying out over a channel and on the way back was flying along side some train tracks by a small town. Some guy out of nowhere tried throwing a rock at my phantom. I ascended quickly and moved far away from him. He didn't approach me, and his friends came after him to stop him thankfully. I landed when he was out of sight, and packed up to avoid conflict.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: riverphantom3
My 70 year old neighbour was outside shoveling snow on her driveway without her "tin foil" hat. I was just landing my drone in my backyard when she said "are you spying on me"? WTF???

Here is the problem today. I can walk downtown in any location, pull out my cell phone, snap photos of people and places and no one cares. I live in a tourist city where people walk around with DSLR cameras with long lenses, and no one says a thing. But take out a device that allows you to take pictures from above and people think you're spying or invading their privacy. Hello, as soon as you leave the comfort of your home all privacy is gone!

Yeah once. I was flying my drone through compton filming drug dealers @ about 2m range (hard to tell with a wide angle lens). Apparently they didn't like my drone, especially as I'd decked it out with flashing red and blue lights.... they chased it right off the block.

I was very sad :(.

Yeah once. I was flying my drone through compton filming drug dealers @ about 2m range (hard to tell with a wide angle lens). Apparently they didn't like my drone, especially as I'd decked it out with flashing red and blue lights.... they chased it right off the block.

I was very sad :(.
So that's where the wording Straight outa Compton came from? Lol

Everbody is extremely nice, polite and cordial to me.

Only once last year. Nothing since then. Once I registered I printed it and wear it on a lanyard while flying for all to see if needed, including police or security personnel. It's been nice flying this winter, when everyone remains hybernated indoors. But, snow and a frozen world below has once again gotten old and it's time to start filming in favor of greener views. Spring is almost here for me with nice, lusher conditions to film. But, that brings out the annoying general public once again. I avoid fiming on weekends when possible as weekdays there are fewer people around. Also, pick your time of day wisely. I could have flown today down by the water, a flight I'm anxious to film. But on a nice Sunday, forget it. I'll go there Tuesday at 2pm and I'll be more alone, wind willing.

Yeah last weeks I had an encounter that was actually funny. I was flying near a hiking trail right after work. It was about 10 miles out of town in the desert. I hear this guy talking loudly about 50 yards away. I watched him and saw him walking toward me but didn't pay him any attention. None!!! He kept walking and talking loudly. I wasn't over him or near anyone.. No attention given to him but I watched him coming. I am watching him to make certain he doesn't have anything in his hands.. He didn't, I keep flying. He Finally gets about 10 feet away and says "don't fly that....." That's it, he turns around and walks away. I don't know what he saw but I'm guessing he saw something that made him decide not to continue being mouthy..

I suppose, and this is just a guess, he looked at the my Badge and service weapon and decided not to confront me my FBI friend and the three off-duty local police officer buddies sitting with me. That's just a guess though.

Phantom 3 Pro / iPad Air 2

Had mine a week now and had 3 flights so far in the open land infront my house and so far have only seen people stopping and watching it as they have heard or seen it.

I was flying in UK and someone said oh it has camera you are spying on people. I said at the height it goes you cannot see people she then said yes but you could find out about my outdoor swimming pool that I have not told people about....

Yeah last weeks I had an encounter that was actually funny. I was flying near a hiking trail right after work. It was about 10 miles out of town in the desert. I hear this guy talking loudly about 50 yards away. I watched him and saw him walking toward me but didn't pay him any attention. None!!! He kept walking and talking loudly. I wasn't over him or near anyone.. No attention given to him but I watched him coming. I am watching him to make certain he doesn't have anything in his hands.. He didn't, I keep flying. He Finally gets about 10 feet away and says "don't fly that....." That's it, he turns around and walks away. I don't know what he saw but I'm guessing he saw something that made him decide not to continue being mouthy..

I suppose, and this is just a guess, he looked at the my Badge and service weapon and decided not to confront me my FBI friend and the three off-duty local police officer buddies sitting with me. That's just a guess though.

Hey, Good for you and your friends.. We appreciate what you do for the community..

You should have had one of your police buddies write him up for being a jerkoff and to mind his own business...

No one hostile.
Either indifferent or curious enough to ask a few questions.

Nope the funny thing is they came out because they wanted to see the P3 they want me to film some of their training at the speedway. How cool would that be to spend a day "working" at the speedway with the P3. That is cooperative law enforcement [emoji3]

In fact I was approached to film an Art and Wine festival here :)

a guy down the street from me has an inspire, we (and 1900 people) are part of the community facebook page, about once a week he post sunset photos of the neighborhood...the other day, someone threated to shoot it down if it was flying over their house....I "politely" suggested they learn the laws before doing such...

other than then one facebook badass, I've had no issues.

I was at a party last night, and I asked the homeowner is he wanted aerial night shots of his party, he was very excited about the idea...(also intoxicated)...after the first battery, I asked if he wanted to fly (he previously told me he had a RC heli)....I told him CSC to start the motors, and when he is ready ot land, give the RC back to me.....well, he forgot that part and started doing CSC with the A/C 100 ft in the air....I saw him and grabbed the controls to stop it, I assume because of the for mentioned condidtion, he didn't make CSC long enough, almost a disaster...leason learned

Neighbors don't let neighbors fly drunk. Lol, I see a new drone commercial/ public service adv.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic