Anyone else thinking about staying at 1.3.2 forever?

Reaction score
With all the discussions around GEO, etc. I never upgrade to 1.4. Also helped that I've been traveling a lot lately and haven't had that much time to fly. But now I'm starting to think maybe staying at 1.3.2 isn't the worse idea if I don't want to deal with personal NFZ's, etc down the road. (I've also got auto update on my iPad off so I'm on a pretty old version of the app as well).

When waypoints came out they weren't that compelling.. but some of these newer apps like FPV and Airnest look like they are more on point. Maybe I go to 1.4 so i can use those and then stop?

My daily reading of this forum hasn't been able to happen as my schedule got busier so I apologize for what I'm sure may repetitive questions.

Thanks for any perspective you can share to help me make this decision.

Alex

Reactions: meringueman
With all the discussions around GEO, etc. I never upgrade to 1.4. Also helped that I've been traveling a lot lately and haven't had that much time to fly. But now I'm starting to think maybe staying at 1.3.2 isn't the worse idea if I don't want to deal with personal NFZ's, etc down the road. (I've also got auto update on my iPad off so I'm on a pretty old version of the app as well).

When waypoints came out they weren't that compelling.. but some of these newer apps like FPV and Airnest look like they are more on point. Maybe I go to 1.4 so i can use those and then stop?

My daily reading of this forum hasn't been able to happen as my schedule got busier so I apologize for what I'm sure may repetitive questions.

Thanks for any perspective you can share to help me make this decision.

Alex
Alex, I am still on 1.3.20 and have no plans to update. Everything works perfect as is. I am still running the dji pilot app and it still works great also.

Reactions: Mr.Spock and Alex_
I only went to 1.4.1 because I wanted to try out the new features (follow me, waypoint, etc.). Don't know if I will upgrade to next firmware 1.5.3...Actually I might do it, as long as I can downgrade back to 1.4.1

There's a popular school of thought on the forums that would have you believe that:
DJI is evil and wants to restrict everything about how you fly
No firmware since version 1.0.0 is any good and every new version brings new restrictions​
But evidence to back up this popular opinion is either very scarce or non-existent.
It would be good if flyers looked for fact-based evidence rather than kooky conspiracy theories when making decisions.
eg ..
With all the discussions around GEO, etc. .. I'm starting to think maybe staying at 1.3.2 isn't the worse idea if I don't want to deal with personal NFZ's, etc down the road.
Instead of being swayed by some forum members' opinions (of varying accuracy) think, find out what the real issues are.
If you are interested to know what's really planned look at this:
DJI GEO Coming to Your P3 In Dec | Page 10 | DJI Phantom Forum

There's a popular school of thought on the forums that would have you believe that:
DJI is evil and wants to restrict everything about how you fly
No firmware since version 1.0.0 is any good and every new version brings new restrictions​
But evidence to back up this popular opinion is either very scarce or non-existent.
It would be good if flyers looked for fact-based evidence rather than kooky conspiracy theories when making decisions.
eg ..

Instead of being swayed by some forum members' opinions (of varying accuracy) think, find out what the real issues are.
If you are interested to know what's really planned look at this:
DJI GEO Coming to Your P3 In Dec | Page 10 | DJI Phantom Forum
I didn't read any conspiracy theories on this thread. The only reason I am staying at 1.3.20 is everything I need or want works flawlessly. If it ain't broke no need to try to fix it.

Everything that's in the old firmware that is. DJI have greatly expanded the capabilities of your quad with software updates.

Reactions: Meta4
Alex,
I'm still on 1.3.2 also. AFAIK, you never "have" to update. If you like your firmware, you can keep your firmware.
A good way to go about this might be to look at the list of changes (I'm not sure where to find it but it's here somewhere), that way you can decide for yourself if you want to upgrade.
Good luck.

Alex,
I'm still on 1.3.2 also. AFAIK, you never "have" to update. If you like your firmware, you can keep your firmware.
A good way to go about this might be to look at the list of changes (I'm not sure where to find it but it's here somewhere), that way you can decide for yourself if you want to upgrade.
Good luck.
Never is a long time:D

Life of each phantom is only few years, enjoy the way you want to.

I will keep updating and if there are issues, write them in forum as there are experts to resolve them.

As long as there is a proprietary battery there will be the possibility of forced upgrades.

Reactions: bobmyers
I'm always one the first to update firmware ... I always keep all my electronics up to date with the latest firmware. My tv, xbox, iPhone, Macbook, Harmony remote, wifi thermostat all require updates ... and this is just what I can see from where I sit.

Reactions: transmetaman
I'm always one the first to update firmware ... I always keep all my electronics up to date with the latest firmware. My tv, xbox, iPhone, Macbook, Harmony remote, wifi thermostat all require updates ... and this is just what I can see from where I sit.
Some of the reasons why folks cant update and have issues upgrading are probably a result of not upgrading previously or staying with the current upgrade program. IMHO

Some of the reasons why folks cant update and have issues upgrading are probably a result of not upgrading previously or staying with the current upgrade program. IMHO
There is a big conspiracy theory that as iPhones get older the updates make the battery die quicker. :)

The only reason I am staying at 1.3.20 is everything I need or want works flawlessly. If it ain't broke no need to try to fix it.
The problem with that train of thought is that you have no idea if its working properly unless YOU are the one that created it. You know you cant tell me that it isnt broke. Because every update comes with at least SOME fixes!

Are you sure that staying on firmware 1.3.2 will keep the upcoming geofencing from taking effect? I thought dji said the new geofencing will be included as part of a mandatory update. Even if your on 1.3.2 it sounds like you won't be able,to fly unless you update the firmware. Correct me if I'm wrong. If this is the case I'll downgrade back to 1.3.2

Are you sure that staying on firmware 1.3.2 will keep the upcoming geofencing from taking effect? I thought dji said the new geofencing will be included as part of a mandatory update. Even if your on 1.3.2 it sounds like you won't be able,to fly unless you update the firmware. Correct me if I'm wrong. If this is the case I'll downgrade back to 1.3.2
What is it about Geo Fencing that you are concerned about?

FAA registration and GEO Fencing are both coming. There are going to be thousands added after Christmas but 3/4 of them will be busted by New Years Day :)

Reactions: Reed L
FAA registration and GEO Fencing are both coming. There are going to be thousands added after Christmas but 3/4 of them will be busted by New Years Day :)
Rather than formulating opinions based on uninformed heresay or forum chatter and spouting absolute nonsense, you guys would be a lot better off if you just checked the FACTS.
You have no idea of geofencing, no idea what you are talking about.

Go and check this post and watch the video to find out what the real situation is.

Reactions: III% Streve
Rather than formulating opinions based on uninformed heresay or forum chatter and spouting absolute nonsense, you guys would be a lot better off if you just checked the FACTS.
You have no idea of geofencing, no idea what you are talking about.

Go and check this post and watch the video to find out what the real situation is.
Forgot the link boss! Here is the video that would be at the link
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic