Anyone else have aliasing on FPV preview with iPhone 5

Reaction score
I am using an iphone 5. The wifi stream is a bit disappointing even when close range and signal is very strong. There are parts of the image which are quite clear but then there are areas that look very pixelated. Is this normal? I attached a screenshot...maybe pixelated is not correct word. It sort of flickers?

Attachments

• IMG_0228 (2).jpg
    IMG_0228 (2).jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 632
Re: clarity of wifi stream

here it is at 320x240 30fps...not much better.

Attachments

• IMG_0230 (2).jpg
    IMG_0230 (2).jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 625

hard to show with stills but if you look at the edges of the cabinets they appear wavy. In fact when it is streaming it actually looks like the eges are moving...waving and flickering etc.

What you're seeing is aliasing. This happens when there aren't enough vertical and/or horizontal lines of resolution in the image acquisition, delivery, or display system. 640x480 should look fine on a phone, however if the wifi link is poor it will switch to lower quality in attempts to maintain delivery of video using lower bandwidth. As it gets worse it may drop resolution and/or start blocking, then eventually freeze and dropout completely.

I've noticed many posts from users experiencing issues with iPhone 5 (I have a 4S and it looks fine). Edit the SUBJ line of your first post to something like: "Anyone else have aliasing on FPV preview with iPhone 5?" and hopefully others will come along to assist or share their experience & solutions.

iDrone

yep aliasing is exactly the word I was thinking. Happens with gaming on pc a lot. the strange thing is that the signal should be very strong as the extender phone and P2V are close to one another.

Yeah, DJI's app currently does not apply any antialias filters, so each pixel shows up as a box even when our screen can display finer detail than 640x480. I hope they apply this in the future to smoothen out the jaggies.

On the other hand, being a digital stream, the picture won't get visual interference as it moves further away; at least not the analog kind (flickers, rains, etc). It will start to get choppy (lower frames per second) until it completely blacks out\disconnected if it can't sustain the connection anymore.

TL;DR: What you're seeing is low-resolution jaggies, completely normal.

Did anyone resolve this? My FPV was perfect initially. PV2 is about a month old. Last 2 days FPV looks like this. :(
2014-04-02%2017.55.46.png

Not too much wrong with the camera as actual photo shows ok.

DJI00027.JPG

Any help appreciated.

never resolved it just learned to accept it. I am pretty happy with the picture/video quality but the wifi range on mine has been disappointing. Not to mention the stream quality with the aliasing.

You -should- be able to receive a perfectly good image up to the specified range for CE & FCC modes, especially if the camera's antennas are facing sideways (antennas are mounted in the sides) therefore facing you. Likewise the flat top of the Range Extender should be facing the Vision (its antennas are located under the top case).

You could park it at one end of your block and walk to the other end so long as you have clear line-of-sight and no objects in between. Your picture should be as sharp as 640x480 can be on your device with no blocking or lower-quality downgrading of streaming video.

If you're not getting that, its time to troubleshoot. Since the camera's FPV transmitter has two outputs, rotate the Vision 180° and face the other antenna on the camera towards you. Any improvement? If so, then your first output may be low, time to contact DJI and get the Camera's wifi transmitter fixed. If you've modded the camera to add an external antenna, open the camera and double-check your work.

If not, then maybe its the Range Extender. If you've modded it to experiment with adding external antennas, open it and inspect your work. Look for antenna connectors popping off the board, pinched cables, or damaged cables at the base of the RP-SMA connector you added. When in doubt, replace the cable.

Another possibility might be phone settings: hopefully your device (phone, tablet, pad) is configured properly and has a solid connection to the Range Extender and that's not the issue.

I hope these suggestions help.

iDrone :ugeek:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues