Anyone else had course lock mode just plain NOT work?

Reaction score
I'm really excited by the idea of course lock and home lock and have my p2v+ in naza mode, but it feels like 1/3 of the time I try course lock it just doesn't work for me. That is, the direction that my drone is pointing *isn't* independent of the way it moves when I press forward.

I've watched a bunch of YouTube videos about those modes and feel like I fully understand them, they just feel super buggy/unreliable to me. Curious if anyone else has found that. Thanks!

Mine works fine

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

Back on old firmware (1. something) I had trouble using CL when further than 3300' out. Back then the app said N/A for distance. That seems to work fine now on 3.06 and 2.00 on my P2V.

Panamon Creel said:
Do the LED s show that it's in IOC mode when you toggle the switch to CL?
I have a Phantom 2 (just got it) and my course lock mode will not engage. The LED's do not show (yellow) that it's in IOC mode. Every thing else on the remote works fine. Could this be a firmware issue? I did do all the updates recently on the firmware. Any ideas here? :?:

One thing to re-check is the condition of the S2 switch, via the Phantom Assistant software. There are reports of defective switches, best tested by toggling S2 several times, confirming each toggle actually 'switches' to the various open/close states necessary to actuate the IOC/Course Lock/Home Lock functions, (as shown in Phantom Assistant).

Sometimes the oriental hardware isn't oriented quite right, internally, due to foreign material.

-Dale-

Just to reiterate..
In the PC/Mac phantom assist, make sure NAZA is activated and IOC check box is checked.

And yes, the toggle switches get faulty easily. Test them in RC Assist and Phantom Assist software.

Mako79 said:
Just to reiterate..
In the PC/Mac phantom assist, make sure NAZA is activated and IOC check box is checked.

+1 on that. It's a tiny little check box that needs to be clicked on AFTER you get all in NAZA mode. It's easy to miss ...

jwegener said:
I'm really excited by the idea of course lock and home lock and have my p2v+ in naza mode, but it feels like 1/3 of the time I try course lock it just doesn't work for me. That is, the direction that my drone is pointing *isn't* independent of the way it moves when I press forward.

Mine works, but I have had it occasionally function opposite to the way it is supposed to work...pushing the right stick forward brings it back....pulling the right stick back makes it go away. When it has done that, I cycle S2 back to Pos 1, then return to Home Lock and it functions normally again.

Well that explains that! Common mistake as it is not checked when you switch to naza.

Sunrunner:

(My comments below are based strictly on what the documentation states, I believe)

1) The NAZA quick start guide states that the "recorded position" for the "forward direction" is recorded 30 sec after the Home Point is established (pg 19).
2) I find no reference to a yellow LED indicating that the plane thinks it is in course lock (I assume you are using PHV2+).
3) Assuming you have checked the LOC box after NAZA is activated before take off, the course lock forward direction should be along a line from Home Point to the plane, regardless of the nose position. Make absolutely certain that Home Point has been recorded (6 blinking green lights after lift off). Make certain that the LOC switch is switched to CL after homepoint (& recorded forward direction) are recorded (see 1) above.
4) Read pg 20 of the NAZA manual wrt LED behavior. WRT Leds the only IOC state is represented by a alternatively blinking of yellow to green and back.

When you think you are in LOC CL mode and you move the right stick forward, which way does the plane fly? Is it as I stated in 3) above? If not, what does it do?

Good luck - Tim

I could not find item #1 on page 19 of either v1.20 or v1.24 of the document you cited.

With regards to your final question:

Course lock means that the direction the quad was facing when the CL position was recorded, either automatically or subsequently by using S2, will be the direction it moves when CL is activated and the right stick is moved accordingly regardless of the position it is facing when CL is selected.

It's on page 18 of the document you cited.

To: N017RW

I'm using version 1.26 of the guide, Pages 18 and 19 both discuss CL. I think the manual is a bit ambiguous. On the page 19 of this manual where it speaks of automatically setting the recorded position of CL "30 sec after you power on the autopilot system". There is no mention of S2 setting the "recorded position" that I can find; but I assumed that S2 would have to be in the CL position as you take off. It would appear to me that I aim the nose at some arbitrary position (e.g., West) and I fly the plane towards West, then after 30 sec the recorded position would be to the West assuming no drift or other changes. If that were the case then CL would be operating on a vector equal to the HL vector.

I've never flown on CL, so I have no experience here. Where in your manual does it say that switching S2 to CL sets the "recorded position". Then maybe I might find it in version 1.26. Page 18 of this manual refers to choosing a 3-position switch, but it does infer that it records the "orientation" of CL and HL. Does "orientation" equal "recorded position"? I'm confused because of the different terms and the section on the next page which explicitly states the way of automatically "record the forward direction" after 30 sec after you power on the plane.

thank you.
Tim

OK, I see v1.26 is now the latest.

Doesn't change anything germain to this conversation other than page #s changing slightly.

Well it's right there in the areas and sections you are citing.

Forward direction for Course Lock is 30sec. after power up not Home point established as was previously stated.

To reassign the recorded forward direction to current direction for use with CL you move S2 from top to middle to top 3-5 times.

Rapid green flashes from the rear arms will confirm this has reset the forward direction.

The same can be done for the Home point also as described on page 19 by moving s2 from center to bottom to center 3-5 times. This can be useful to raise the minimum return elevation to greater than 20 meters during a fail-safe or return-to-home event.

Tim think about CL as flying with a virtual nose position on your Phantom and the direction it goes depends in which way the nose was when the orientation was recorded/saved

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers