Anyone else got a 'bad feeling' ?

Reaction score
Right, wrong or indifferent ... I have a bad feeling we're approaching a 'dark era' for UAVs from a legality and legislation standpoint. A combination of higher visibility in the media, hysterics, and some poor discernment by over enthusiastic owners. Am I too sensitive ?

The way it stands right now, it could go either way. It's possible that we could just end up with some regulations that may be a little inconvenient but are logical and livable. That's probably the best case scenario. Speculation abounds about the worst case, and everything in between.

The impact on recreational use vs on commercial use may be significantly different...or they may both be similarly constricted.

Either way, regulation is on the horizon everywhere, the pain you feel as a result will just depend on your intended use and where you live.

Put it this way, if one day we need a permit or license for these things that require a flight exam, we will have sevral years of experience already.

They will need t isolate quads from all other RC's like cars, helicopters, planes, etc...
The problem is that the Phantom gained a TON of traction in a year. It is booming the entire industry really.
It's the iPhone in the sky.

One thing I learned working for the feds is that it takes them 18 months minimum to change anything such as rules and regulations. Probably right that we'll have plenty of flying time should we all need to take exams. ;)

Mike

I remember when politicians were talking about making legislation to control the Internet. They talked about taxing purchases; controlling broadband; etc. etc. there were a million words written and spoken but in the end (remember Sen.Ted Steven's famous statement, comparing the Internet to plumbing? In the end, little was done. The Phantom community is growing as fast as the manufacturers can make them. By the time anything is agreed to the Quad group will be too large to treat with indifference.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic