Any Way To Use iPad Mini With Mavic?

Reaction score
Is there seriously no easy way to use an iPad or other tablet with the Mavic?

That seems like one of the biggest negatives so far.

I really liked using an iPad Mini 2 for a bigger screen size when flying my P4.

Phone screens are way too tiny for this kind of work.

Reactions: len750
There's always a way. My Nvidia Shield is set up as a dedicated drone tablet and I'd really like to keep using it with the Mavic controller. I'm attaching an iphone sized plate to the back of my tablet. Voila, problem solved with 1 plastic plate and some double-sided tape - couldn't be easier.

Last edited:
This guy made his own holder but i'm sure it won't be long before aftermarket mounts come along

Reactions: TonG
I second the sentiments of the original poster. What as DJI thinking limiting the mounting to phone size devices? Anyone doing serious photography needs larger than a phone screen monitor.

I second the sentiments of the original poster. What as DJI thinking limiting the mounting to phone size devices? Anyone doing serious photography needs larger than a phone screen monitor.

Because 95% of all regular owners are just fine using smartphone. And the whole point of making compact controller with dedicated telemetry screen was not to stick a giant tablet to it. And because iPhone 7+ (as well as 6+ & 6S+) exists which is not much smaller then mini iPad.

Aftermarket will quickly come up with a solution for 5% who insist on using tablet with their drone.

I, for one, is happy DJI went minimalistic with controller and nice clamps for the phone. I should finally be able to fly my drone without attracting unnecessary attention to myself as was the case every time someone saw me operating that monstrosity of Phantom controller.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Because 95% of all regular owners are just fine using smartphone. And the whole point of making compact controller with dedicated telemetry screen was not to stick a giant tablet to it. And because iPhone 7+ (as well as 6+ & 6S+) exists which is not much smaller then mini iPad.

Aftermarket will quickly come up with a solution for 5% who insist on using tablet with their drone.

I, for one, is happy DJI went minimalistic with controller and nice clamps for the phone. I should finally be able to fly my drone without attracting unnecessary attention to myself as was the case every time someone saw me operating that monstrosity of Phantom controller.

Umm I think your wrong on this...I think most people use tablets with phantoms, especially the adv/pro, and p4. And definitely people on this forum. I use a iPad mini 2 as well. But I'm ok with the mavic only using a phone cause it's all about portability with the mavic and it defeats the purpose if your caring around a big tablet with a small compact drone. If I want to fly with my iPad mini I'll just take out my phantom...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I am sure as the dead grows for bigger tablets, there would be appropriate solutions.

Umm I think your wrong on this...I think most people use tablets with phantoms, especially the adv/pro, and p4. And definitely people on this forum. I use a iPad mini 2 as well. But I'm ok with the mavic only using a phone cause it's all about portability with the mavic and it defeats the purpose if your caring around a big tablet with a small compact drone. If I want to fly with my iPad mini I'll just take out my phantom...

Agree.

Remember that Mavic should solve two particular issues for those who use tablet with Phantom:
- 1080p vs 720p streaming.
- dedicated high-contrast telemetry display

Both of these improvements should go long way towards making it easier to use smartphones, especially 5.5" screen large ones that dominate the market in the past couple of years.

Reactions: Static8
Anyone doing seriouse photography doesnt choose Mavic Pro. :p

It looks like some smaller tablets might just about fit in but not be able to use the short cable.
The cable connection is no problem as there's an alternative full sized USB same as P3/P4
You could almost cut a piece of plywood to fit between the arms and devise a way to hold the tablet on that, perhaps using a phantom style holder or something else designed to hold it on a desk or car dashboard?
It's sure there will be a range of inexpensive tidier ways to do it available in no time.

There's another thread showing an iPhone sized plate with a phantom display clip bolted to it. It looks easy to implement. The iPad mini will be popular for this craft.

Reactions: len750
It looks like some smaller tablets might just about fit in but not be able to use the short cable.
The cable connection is no problem as there's an alternative full sized USB same as P3/P4
You could almost cut a piece of plywood to fit between the arms and devise a way to hold the tablet on that, perhaps using a phantom style holder or something else designed to hold it on a desk or car dashboard?
It's sure there will be a range of inexpensive tidier ways to do it available in no time.

Easiest way would be to buy one of those $5.00 car magnet holders which come with strong neodium magnet and steel plate, get piece of plywood in the shape of smartphone, attach magnet to the plywood and plate to the tablet - PROBLEM SOLVED. If tablet is too heavy, use two magnet holders - you are still only out $10.

Within 8 hours after somebody with a 3D printer gets their Mavic there will be all sorts of solutions to this problem. In another week you'll be able to get them on eBay. The 21st Century has been a let down in a lot of ways but I don't see this as a big issue....

And, if all else fails, there is my new best friend - VHB tape.

Keep in mind too that the digital display on the controller will take some information off the phone giving it a less cluttered view. Though yes I am also interested in using my iPad mini with mine will probably do both,

Reactions: The Springs
Within 8 hours after somebody with a 3D printer gets their Mavic there will be all sorts of solutions to this problem.
There are already several options on Thingiverse.

A tablet about twice as big as the radio kinda looks laughable and klunky, but meh.

I came up with a basic and simple idea using a tripod for mounting your IPad or other large tablet. I know that it will work no problem. If you own a P3 a/p/Inspire controller, the device holder from those controllers will easily come off and mount to a universal collapsible tripod.
See my post here. Ipad Mount On Tripod (Simple)

I came up with a basic and simple idea using a tripod for mounting your IPad or other large tablet. I know that it will work no problem. If you own a P3 a/p/Inspire controller, the device holder from those controllers will easily come off and mount to a universal collapsible tripod.
See my post here. Ipad Mount On Tripod (Simple)
Yeah, well carrying a tripod around with you everywhere is not really the same.

Reactions: Kilrah

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik