Any way to add a "follow me" mode to a V2+?

Reaction score
Seems to be the only missing major feature, at least for me. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Nope -- DJI would have it add this feature. I'm not sure how fool proof it would be though since the Phantom is not able to detect objects around it.

3DR's Iris+ has a follow me feature built into it. It will follow any adroid device you connect it to. You set your altitude, distance, and set it to record and follow from in front of you, behind, or either side of you. It is up to the person carrying the adroid device to choose a path free of overhead obstructions or obstacles. I hope to try this feature out this weekend if the weather cooperates.

Its there... but not exactly... It does it at a distance.

Requirements:
Vision + with latest IOS/Android app.
Phantom needs to be on NAZA mode.
A smartphone/device with GPS and data.

Activate ground station and dynamic home point in the DJI app.
Go to flight location and turn on GPS and go in the DJI app ground station and download the map in the area.
Then connect to the phantoms wifi.
If the ring around the radar is yellow it means Dynamic home point is enabled but not locked.
Swipe to ground station and wait till the Radar ring turns green. When it does, this means Dynamic is locked to your device.
Fly it 10 meters or more away and activate home lock (left toggle down).
Now provided its 10m away from your smartphone/device, all you need to do is pull the right stick downwards and it will come to you.

This is perfect for boats.

Mako79 said:
Its there... but not exactly... It does it at a distance.

Requirements:
Vision + with latest IOS/Android app.
Phantom needs to be on NAZA mode.
A smartphone/device with GPS and data.

Activate ground station and dynamic home point in the DJI app.
Go to flight location and turn on GPS and go in the DJI app ground station and download the map in the area.
Then connect to the phantoms wifi.
If the ring around the radar is yellow it means Dynamic home point is enabled but not locked.
Swipe to ground station and wait till the Radar ring turns green. When it does, this means Dynamic is locked to your device.
Fly it 10 meters or more away and activate home lock (left toggle down).
Now provided its 10m away from your smartphone/device, all you need to do is pull the right stick downwards and it will come to you.

This is perfect for boats.
I'm going to try this

Re: Any way to add a "follow me" mode to a V2+?

I was also thinking about this. I wonder if the SDK that DJI released would allow this?

One other thing that might work. Turn on dynamic home point in the app, fly it a ways away from you, then flip the switch for failsafe. If you are moving it should keep trying to follow you. May have to set RTH elevation lower as well. But could sorta work.

I've thought about using RTH with a dynamic home point. I wonder if that would work.

Re: Any way to add a

Shuether said:
One other thing that might work. Turn on dynamic home point in the app, fly it a ways away from you, then flip the switch for failsafe. If you are moving it should keep trying to follow you.
No .. If you could use DHP as outlined above, the Phantom would fly until it hit the pilot.
A true follow-me feature would have to have some input for distance and orientation.
Dynamic Homepoint simply updates the home point location while flying and when RTH is activated the Phantom flies to the last homepoint recorded before RTH.
It does not follow a moving homepoint.

Any way to add a "follow me" mode to a V2+?

Meta4 said:
Shuether said:
One other thing that might work. Turn on dynamic home point in the app, fly it a ways away from you, then flip the switch for failsafe. If you are moving it should keep trying to follow you.
No .. If you could use DHP as outlined above, the Phantom would fly until it hit the pilot.
A true follow-me feature would have to have some input for distance and orientation.
Dynamic Homepoint simply updates the home point location while flying and when RTH is activated the Phantom flies to the last homepoint recorded before RTH.
It does not follow a moving homepoint.

Oh yea, it's not going to be true follow me. But if you are moving fast enough, it might give a similar outcome. If DHP only comes to home point when it's activated, and doesn't take update past that, it's somewhat less interesting. In a boat, you may continue moving after RTH is activated.

This seems like a fairly simple idea to implement in a future upgrade. Or with a custom app. I'm going to look at the SDK and see if it might be possible.

JJM said:
I've thought about using RTH with a dynamic home point. I wonder if that would work.

Wont work. The moment RTH is triggered, it will lock that position and go there.
So for moving boat users.. pls be wary. It will NOT follow you back to land by it self.

Mako79 said:
JJM said:

Wont work. The moment RTH is triggered, it will lock that position and go there.
So for moving boat users.. pls be wary. It will NOT follow you back to land by it self.

What about home lock? Same thing?

Mako79 said:
JJM said:

It's a design flaw if that's the case.

Shuether said:
Mako79 said:
JJM said:

It's a design flaw if that's the case.

Or maybe they added this to prevent flyaways to the last known home that might be miles away?

Re: Any way to add a

JJM said:
Mako79 said:
JJM said:

Home lock is different. YOU ARE FLYING IT and needs your input! Therefore, It will work with the dynamic home point provided you keep your distance. If the phantom is less than 10m from you, it will switch to course lock. And because you are moving dynamically, the orienteering of course lock will be based on where it took off.

Anyways, just to clarify...
Lets say you are on a moving boat. On HL mode, If you pull the right stick down and let it stay 10m from you, then it will always follow provided the GPS on your phone is updating with the phantom (look at the GS mode).

Now if you trigger RTH/Failsafe whilst moving, the phantom will lock that actual point and go there to land. This will now be water since you are on a moving boat.

Make sense??

Mako79 said:
JJM said:
Mako79 said:
JJM said:

Home lock is different. YOU ARE FLYING IT and needs your input! Therefore, It will work with the dynamic home point provided you keep your distance. If the phantom is less than 10m from you, it will switch to course lock. And because you are moving dynamically, the orienteering of course lock will be based on where it took off.

Anyways, just to clarify...
Lets say you are on a moving boat. On HL mode, If you pull the right stick down and let it stay 10m from you, then it will always follow provided the GPS on your phone is updating with the phantom (look at the GS mode).

Now if you trigger RTH/Failsafe whilst moving, the phantom will lock that actual point and go there to land. This will now be water since you are on a moving boat.

Make sense??

Haha Calm down. I was asking if home lock "locked" the position in the same way that RTH did. Makes perfect sense!!!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20