any way of tracking a lost phantom? or stolen....

add a tracker on it
2016-02-26 15.13.25.jpg

mines fine, just wondering if theres a way to track them if they get lost?
Sure, there's a bunch of GPS trackers, some you pay a $10 a month fee for, and others that I'm told on eBay that don't use this and you use your phone to call it and it'll transmit where it's at and beep. The more expensive option like the former one mentioned, for $130 + monthly $10 fee one is the trackimo? Something like that, that can be accessed while flying or at any time. They sell small little brackets even to mount them on different things, UAVs are one of them.
I still say it's way better to just spend $60 a year on insurance, screw tracking a downed bird, they're almost 100% of the time beat up, if even found, if not totaled needing hundreds in repairs if lucky, for what you spend on a tracker, you can have a brand new bird, and the extra remote to sell and batteries to keep! Plus extra charger and everything that goes with the piece of mind not having to mess around, I don't even have my name in mine, FAA# and nothing else, no reward nothing, I don't even want my bird if it's gonna fly away anyway! Lol

The flight data recorded by the app for the P3 and P4 does a pretty good job and quite a few lost Phantoms have been found by analysis for the flight record.
I think it's prudent that we should educate on the insurance side of a lost bird, it's cheaper, and you don't spend money on a unreliable aircraft, have no deductible and you don't have to offer a reward, pay for expensive repairs, which most lost birds if, IF even found need.

Of course I'm only advocating legal use of insurance, no ploys or illegal crap, you will go to jail if your not truthful and honest, (not you Meta4 lol just talking to members here) insurance fraud is no joke, beyond that, no extra weight or batteries or things to worry about losing, lol that's a good one, losing a tracker! Lol, ok maybe not losing, of course if you make the swim team, your outta a bird and a $130 tracker! Insurance, again, trumps the trackers, oh, and stolen, or run over? Most thieves would be smart enough to turn a tracker off or throw it, again, insurance....just saying, It's what you want to do, if you want a tracker, then get a tracker, if you want piece of mind, get insurance.
A final plus is with State Farm at least, doesn't matter if you have a P3/4 or inspire, it's $60 a year up to $3000 in coverage, as the $50+taxes and fees is the lowest they offer, in reality it's $22 like $1.50 for every $100 insurance.

Reactions: BuickGS
Sure, there's a bunch of GPS trackers, some you pay a $10 a month fee for, and others that I'm told on eBay that don't use this and you use your phone to call it and it'll transmit where it's at and beep. The more expensive option like the former one mentioned, for $130 + monthly $10 fee one is the trackimo? Something like that, that can be accessed while flying or at any time. They sell small little brackets even to mount them on different things, UAVs are one of them.
I still say it's way better to just spend $60 a year on insurance, screw tracking a downed bird, they're almost 100% of the time beat up, if even found, if not totaled needing hundreds in repairs if lucky, for what you spend on a tracker, you can have a brand new bird, and the extra remote to sell and batteries to keep! Plus extra charger and everything that goes with the piece of mind not having to mess around, I don't even have my name in mine, FAA# and nothing else, no reward nothing, I don't even want my bird if it's gonna fly away anyway! Lol
trackimo is only 5 a month first year is free

Reactions: Sim597
trackimo is only 5 a month first year is free
Oh, that's better then that other one then, Marco Polo maybe, just read the price, or, maybe it's $10 for 3 months, that's what it is, I mean, I still stand by just getting a rider for the bird, like guns or stereos, it's just piece of mind.

I will say a tracker makes more sense the older the bird version, because we know a P3 can be repaired entirely for a nominal cost, and of course too each his own, some people just don't want another policy.

And it's not all good, no deductible but I suppose they could drop you, or try and deny a claim, I can't think of a reason, but we know insurance companies aren't in the business of losing money

If you are willing to use bluetooth I would recommend Tile. Tile is a community find where anyone who has the Tile app can help you find items. If their phone goes in range, you will be sent the location of the drone. There is a surprising amount of users on Tile and there are no fees. The only downside is that you can't change the battery (you have to return it for a new one at 1/2 price every year) and it probably wouldn't work somewhere out in the woods. Anyway, the flight logs are probably your best option.

Reactions: Fourman
You may want to check your insurance. My buddy has insurance also. $100 deductible. and you have to bring in the remains of the drone. No drone no new one. Now you're can be different.

I had thought about tile for a minute...it's that 150ft range under OPTIMAL conditions that kept me from using for the phantom

Does anybody got a comparison between Tile and Trackr.
I messed around with a couple of Trackr's that was giving to me. They worked for a short while. I wouldn't recommend for a Phantom. Bought a new style, it worked for about 3 weeks. Seem to eat up battery's within a month. I use a Marco Polo, did a lot of testing, I trust it, and did help find my bird.

Does anybody got a comparison between Tile and Trackr.
I messed around with a couple of Trackr's that was giving to me. They worked for a short while. I wouldn't recommend for a Phantom. Bought a new style, it worked for about 3 weeks. Seem to eat up battery's within a month. I use a Marco Polo, did a lot of testing, I trust it, and did help find my bird.
Have you looked at a flytrex?

Not where I fly, unless I am around my house "Fir Mtn", lack of cellular.
Videos about “rod pad” on Vimeo

This one was my last attempt to look for my missing P2V+
Last I tried to get up there still to much snow.
Since this plays here, here was the description.
Phantom 3 Standard, Looking for missing PV2V, Got rained out
The tall trees (Old Growth is about 200' tall, the newer trees are 15' to 50' tall. I have 5 of us looking for over 40 hrs.
It could be any where on this hillside above the paved road, from this picture the next section of old growth has been my focus. Takes 50 minutes to drive from my house and 20 mins to hike to that location.

Don't know if this would help but Maplins in the Uk do a key/mobile/item finder which works by Bluetooth but from what I can gather you can also go onto the app on your 'phone and show its position on a map. Not sure how big the actual item is (TILE) but it should be pretty simple to attach to the Phantom if it was suitable.
Also spotted something very similar, a MYNT I think where you can change the internal battery, not possible with the "TILE".

Last edited:
Don't know if this would help but Maplins in the Uk do a key/mobile/item finder which works by Bluetooth but from what I can gather you can also go onto the app on your 'phone and show its position on a map. Not sure how big the actual item is (TILE) but it should be pretty simple to attach to the Phantom if it was suitable.
I have used the DJI Vision app two times to find my drone. First I ran out if battery auto land about 900 ft away. The other was auto land also. About 1200 ft. But if your drone loss GPS this will not work.

Remember - insurance companies are in business for profit. It's best to self-insure unless you can't afford it.

Reactions: RodPad
Remember - insurance companies are in business for profit. It's best to self-insure unless you can't afford it.
Good Point, Wife and I fed up with health insurance a few times thought about putting that monthly money in a separate account. Do the same for your flying toys, if you don't loose it or crash it, buy a new toy or something else (3D Printer)!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20