Any useful tips in building confidence in flying FPV?

Reaction score
Still mainly relying on line of sight and checking orientation on Pilot App. Perhaps I am over cautious as well as being blind as a bat..lol. Anyway, would appreciate views from much more experienced P3 pilots how they "let go" of the safety net of visual and reliance on the app.thanks in advance

Reactions: Peterhenrybarnard
Incidentally, I have to be careful as I am surrounded by MATZ and ATZ airspace.

Incidentally, I have to be careful as I am surrounded by MATZ and ATZ airspace.

Start out by practicing in the beginner mode and flying at low level 20 ft to 40 ftor so, any learning the controls and how they react in FPV. Until you are very familiar with all the controls and buttons on the controller. don't venture out very far. Start flying with the app while close in until you gain the confidence
While you are doing this watch the drone and then watch the screen so you can see has the controls react on the bird. When you are comfortable at close range, FPV, venture out 500 meters or so using FPV and then try to fly back--Pretty soon your confidence will increase with FPV-- it is actually easier, because the Phantom is flying exactly like you see it on the screen. You are sitting on top with a great birds eye view.:):)

Start out by practicing in the beginner mode and flying at low level 20 ft to 40 ftor so, any learning the controls and how they react in FPV. Until you are very familiar with all the controls and buttons on the controller. don't venture out very far. Start flying with the app while close in until you gain the confidence
While you are doing this watch the drone and then watch the screen so you can see has the controls react on the bird. When you are comfortable at close range, FPV, venture out 500 meters or so using FPV and then try to fly back--Pretty soon your confidence will increase with FPV-- it is actually easier, because the Phantom is flying exactly like you see it on the screen. You are sitting on top with a great birds eye view.:):)
Thanks very much. I shall do just as you have suggested. Cheers!

I found that the quickest way to learn is to film a one-off event, or a moving subject, or something non-static.

For me, I had been playing around in a big field, flying through goal posts, around trees and so on. Enough fr the basics. However, a cruise ship (albeit a small one) was coming into our port for the first time, and I decided to document that. It had to be done as it was a one-off. I soon learned very quickly and it was much better than practising solo.

Another thing that I did recently was to film an actor for a short film my friend is making. It was just a guy walking up various roads at all sorts of angles. Great practice at close up work. I did some fishing boats recently too. All clips available to see on my sig.

If something has to be filmed and you only have one shot at it, you'll soon learn!

I fly over 5kms fpv regularly, I suggest practicing just using the screen at a height well above all obstacles in the vicinity. Get some practice in and then take it out in the direction you have best chance of vlos. If you lose fpv feed but still have rc signal you can either bring it back into range via stick control, ioc or just hit RTH and let the p3 head back to you until it comes back into range. If you lose all signal the p3 will return automatically after 3 seconds. Anytime you lose signal be sure to check your compass bearing and antennas making sure they are trained accurately in the direction of the p3, this will ensure you get signal back asap. You can always buy a third party gps tracker too in case you have to go looking for your p3 if it flies away but only real pilot error or malfunction will cause that. The gps on your p3 is pointless if you already lost signal before the fly away because it will only show the area contact was lost. Keep the video transmission setting on auto so it can swap to cleaner channels. Also make sure your RTH height is set at a height well above all obstacles in the area you're flying in, 100 metres is good. Make sure the failsafe is set to return to home and NOT to land, you don't want it landing kilometres away from you or in water! Test the RTH feature when a few hundred metres from you to test everything works as it should, remember you can use Atti mode if the p3 starts behaving erratically.

Stay calm if you lose it temporarily, it will even return home if you turn your RC off.

Enjoy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31