Any South African drones out there?

HOBBY REGULATIONS
NEW REGULATIONS A WIN FOR HOBBY DRONE PILOTS
Drones were made legal for the first time in South Africa from 1 July 2015 and it is actually a big win for hobby drone users!

UNDER THE NEW REGULATIONS HOBBY DRONE PILOTS:
  • Do not need an RPL (Remote Pilots Licence).
  • Do not need to register their RPAS (Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems) aircraft.
  • Do not need an aviation medical.
  • Can fly RPAS up to 7kg weight.
  • Can fly at night (previous not allowed for any RC aircraft).
  • Can fly up to the height of the highest object in 300m of the drone (up to a max of 400 feet).
  • Can fly up to 500m away from the pilot, while maintaining direct line of sight (RVLOS).
  • Need to keep more than 50m from people.
  • Need to keep more than 50m from roads.
  • Need to keep more than 50m from buildings.
  • Need to keep more than 10km from airports.
  • May not fly in No Fly Zones.

Reactions: Magicmanp4
Operating commercially

Note: Getting your Remote Pilots License (RPL) does not entitle you to operate commercially just yet. It's the first step forward in developing a licensed drone pilot with the right knowledge, flight skills and most importantly understanding the safety elements involved when flying within manned airspace.

The South African African Civil Aviation Authority (SACAA) views any drone flying in the sky as a aircraft and must abide by the same law as manned aircraft. As a commercial pilot, a commercial drone pilot must also go through their own certification and exams. The first step would be getting your Remote Pilots License (RPL), second would be your Air Service License (ASL) from the department of transport and then your Remote Operators Certificate (ROC) from the SACAA. Only once you have these certificates can you operate commercially.

For anyone even considering commercial drone work or needing inflight drone insurance your RPL is a must have!

Reactions: Magicmanp4
Where is the best flights school for RPL licence, I still have my PPL books covering most subjects, want to fly commercial in the next few months, thanks guys,!!

Sent from my 2014817 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi SA... I'm in Pretoria. RPL does not allow you to fly commercial!!!! You basically have be get a license the same as SAA and Kulula.(ASL) Have to write manuals for operation and have a lot of personnel that must be with you with each flight. The RPL is easy ti get but then you will need a company with SOC and ASL

In November I almost payed R32000 to do my license. Now Prowings does it for R18999excl

I wanted to use a drone for inspection of warehouse and building roofs, so I will be flying not higher than 50m and on private property with the owners permission. Now to get all the licenses I will never recover my money.

The 5 Phases required

RPAS Operators Certificate

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.