Any real aircraft pilots out there and how to interpret aviation maps ?

Reaction score
I have been advised that even flying outside of the DJI no fly zones is not permitted if inside ATC airspace (basically zero and up).

I am well away over 5 miles from airport and even outside that area its not allowed.

See aviation map, everything inside box surrounding blue of ALC is out of bounds.

Is this correct ?
Screen Shot 2016-05-07 at 17.33.31.png

Drones don't have a chance at affecting planes. Be serious. U can't hit a bird and not fall out the sky

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

All airspace differ. A lot of airspace are represented like an upside down wedding cake. Many ATC areas overlap. From ground level where the airspace is positively controlled from the ground up you are prohibited. Many times you can fly under the controlled airspace . Would have to see more of the chart to determine is this airspace is also controlled by another TCA.

All airspace differ. A lot of airspace are represented like an upside down wedding cake. Many ATC areas overlap. From ground level where the airspace is positively controlled from the ground up you are prohibited. Many times you can fly under the controlled airspace . Would have to see more of the chart to determine is this airspace is also controlled by another TCA.

You see pretty much the whole chart.

Web site is this

AD - Aerodromes - ENAIRE - Air Navigation

and AD is the pdf file with chart in.

The DJI fly zone only shows a B airport but obviously the official information takes precedence.

If the airspace is so big and controlled, then does that also then mean kites or wind surf kites are not allowed ???

SE spain, Alicante airport.
Thanks, the Spanish threw me off. I don't fly internationally other than corporate service to the Bahamas and Caribbean, so as a US pilot I am not familiar with the airspace restrictions in another country. Rather than give you false information or advise you incorrectly, I defer this answer to my international pilot counterparts. But I do recommend you visit your local airport in that area on the chart and talk with the tower personnel about your intentions. You may just find the answers you need. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks, the Spanish threw me off. I don't fly internationally other than corporate service to the Bahamas and Caribbean, so as a US pilot I am not familiar with the airspace restrictions in another country. Rather than give you false information or advise you incorrectly, I defer this answer to my international pilot counterparts. But I do recommend you visit your local airport in that area on the chart and talk with the tower personnel about your intentions. You may just find the answers you need. Good luck.

Thanks

ALC is an international airport so just walking upto tower to talk to staff there is not an option.
Police with guns etc. Cant get within 1/2 mile of tower due to security etc.

I fly locally well outside the DJI no fly zone but was told today that is not permitted as well.

I guess the maps are fairly universal does anything on those charts suggest to you that ground zero is also a no fly zone inside the big rectangle around the airport.

Thanks

ALC is an international airport so just walking upto tower to talk to staff there is not an option.
Police with guns etc. Cant get within 1/2 mile of tower due to security etc.

I fly locally well outside the DJI no fly zone but was told today that is not permitted as well.

I guess the maps are fairly universal does anything on those charts suggest to you that ground zero is also a no fly zone inside the big rectangle around the airport.
Well, LED66 (pink square) is a definite no fly zone- surface to 12,800 feet. The blue rectangle is Alicante ATZ, which is a no fly zone also- surface to 2500 feet. If you can travel north or south of the ATZ I would think you'd be ok, if no airports are too close. If they are, then do the 'visit or call the tower thing' and see what they say. But definitely stay out of LED 66 and Alicante ATZ.

Thanks,

LED66 is a huge hill with a load of radio transmitters on so I guess that is crucial for airport.

ATZ do you mean the smaller rectangle over the airport ?

Screen Shot 2016-05-07 at 22.07.06.png

Or the larger one covering the full area ?
Screen Shot 2016-05-07 at 22.08.29.png

Just want to make sure I dont get myself into trouble.
The big rectangle goes out about 30 miles west from airport.

Ok, thanks

Looks like the DJI no fly zone is wildly off in this area.

Is the area listed with Salinas and Catral near you? That looks safe. But, be aware of the airspace south of there that is bordered in that pink lines again. That is probably a military or other airspace (LER63) with restrictions from surface to 2000 feet. Don't go in there.

Is the area listed with Salinas and Catral near you? That looks safe. But, be aware of the airspace south of there that is bordered in that pink lines again. That is probably a military or other airspace (LER63) with restrictions from surface to 2000 feet. Don't go in there.

Thanks, Yes I see the other pink area.

Surely though all these flight restrictions apply to real aircraft not sub 2kg drones ?

Even though these chart guidelines pertain to aircraft, there are still no fly zones for UAV's. Don't give up trying to contact local aviation authorities near areas you prefer to fly. Chances are if they know where you are and what you're doing they will be ok with it. Just get a NAME to go with the notification for any issues that may occur. Drones are new and unfamiliar to most people, and they get defensive if they feel uncomfortable around them. A minute or two teaching them about the hobby will go far in easing tensions they feel, and they'll want to see it fly even more than you do. Can't hurt to try. Good luck.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj