Any other P2V+ owners lost FPV?

Reaction score
Has any Phantom 2 Vision + owners lost their live video in the DJI app?
Mine has been out for two weeks and nobody, including DJI tech support can fix it. DJI says it is the app and that they are working on it but that is all they can offer.
I have tried installing the older versions of the app, emptying out my phone so that I have more then 3gb free space, installing the app on another phone, rebinding and checking connections.
Camera records video and stills fine. Telemetry information is correct and visible and wifi connects fine. Just black FPV.
If anyone knows a fix I would be very grateful.

Yes, I've lost FPV. I lost it when I started using the new app with GS functions. Found that I can sometimes get FPV if I swipe into the GS section of the app then swipe back to the FPV section - this sometimes allows FPV to work for a whole flight, sometimes only a few minutes. If I don't swipe over to the GS screen then all I get is black screen with working camera controls and accurate telemetry data. Hopefully they will have an update to the app soon which will fix this.

jspad said:
Mine has been out for two weeks and nobody, including DJI tech support can fix it. DJI says it is the app and that they are working on it but that is all they can offer.
I have tried installing the older versions of the app, emptying out my phone so that I have more then 3gb free space, installing the app on another phone, rebinding and checking connections.
Camera records video and stills fine. Telemetry information is correct and visible and wifi connects fine. Just black FPV.

Yes, I always get live video initially but on one of my Phantom Vision+ the video cuts out after a few minutes. The only way to restore it is to power cycle the aircraft. I even bought two Phantom Vision+ running on the same software and one has the issue while the other doesn't. I'm even running the software prior to the Ground Station support and the video fails.

I suspect it is a hardware issue with the video compression system feeding data into the WiFi system on the aircraft. My dealer is replacing my second Phantom.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404759690_432748.jpg

If you dont have warranty, open her up and check if the antenna is plugged in.
This was RPA's Phantom. He had FPV issues but now is fixed.

Mako79 said:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404759690_432748.jpg

If you dont have warranty, open her up and check if the antenna is plugged in.
This was RPA's Phantom. He had FPV issues but now is fixed.

Very good tip if that is the problem. Body is pretty easy to open up. 4 screws per arm. You will mess up the red stickers though. There are more in the box.

I would like to see if that's my problem but I don't even see the signal from the repeater consistently. I don't have any telemetry and phantom connection broken screen. Not sure I want to open it up in fear of getting a voided warranty. I'm not sure they can tell since I can always use the diff stickers to replace the old ones.

I use to be able to get 700m from my FPV but I modified my range extender to allow using higher gain antenna.

I took my shell apart (screwed my warranty I think) and everything is connected OK.

DJI tech says it is the app but I am not buying it because when i uninstall the new app and install 1.0.38 it still has no FPV. BUT I STILL GET TELEMETRY!

jwwgold said:
I would like to see if that's my problem but I don't even see the signal from the repeater consistently. I don't have any telemetry and phantom connection broken screen. Not sure I want to open it up in fear of getting a voided warranty. I'm not sure they can tell since I can always use the diff stickers to replace the old ones.

What is our warranty? I've never seen a copy of it anywhere, and knowing DJI customer service sucks, I wonder if it has any value?

Finally reached someone who seems to have an idea what might be causing this.
Sam at the new York service provider, listed on the dji site, believes that the video signal from the camera isn't making it to the transmitter. Might be bad board in top of gimbal. He gave me an RMA# so I am shipping mine to him. He said first is swap out the camera/gimbal assy. This is only available for replacement as an assembly and costs 679 if you have to buy one.
More to come(I hope)

[quote="Hovtech" You will mess up the red stickers though. There are more in the box.[/quote]

Don't mess up your red stickers! Tip: Take Exacto knife and slice them at the seam where the shell halves join. You'll hardly notice it when she's together.

Dirty Bird said:
[quote="Hovtech" You will mess up the red stickers though. There are more in the box.

Don't mess up your red stickers! Tip: Take Exacto knife and slice them at the seam where the shell halves join. You'll hardly notice it when she's together.[/quote]

+1000

As DB, just slit. Easy.

Blackouts in FPV usually means the transmitter is too hot or the heat sink isn't working properly.
Also, there was mention on youtube about powering on FPV transmitters without the antenna and causing it fry the board. They mention also that if you use an undersized antenna, can also lower the life of the transmitter. (I cant find it because I cannot access youtube @ work).

http://www.fpvpilot.com/Pages/GettingStartedinFPV.aspx

"** Video Transmitters can get HOT and need cooling like good airflow or a heatsink or fan. Never power a wireless video transmitter for more then a couple of minutes without proper cooling as doing so may ruin the range of the transmitter causing it to be much shorter....but it will still work so always range test if there is a chance it has been overheated."

I noticed the wifi transmitter in the phantom rely on the props downwash to cool. I don't think that is sufficient.
Another thing I noticed is that some say this seems to be happening when they upgrade firmware. Could it be that some person has increased the power output and cause a wifi-fry on the transmitter.

I might look into using a 12v CPU fan to extend the life of the transmitter.

Mako79 said:
Dirty Bird said:
[quote="Hovtech" You will mess up the red stickers though. There are more in the box.

Don't mess up your red stickers! Tip: Take Exacto knife and slice them at the seam where the shell halves join. You'll hardly notice it when she's together.

+1000

As DB, just slit. Easy.

Blackouts in FPV usually means the transmitter is too hot or the heat sink isn't working properly.
Also, there was mention on youtube about powering on FPV transmitters without the antenna and causing it fry the board. They mention also that if you use an undersized antenna, can also lower the life of the transmitter. (I cant find it because I cannot access youtube @ work).

http://www.fpvpilot.com/Pages/GettingStartedinFPV.aspx

"** Video Transmitters can get HOT and need cooling like good airflow or a heatsink or fan. Never power a wireless video transmitter for more then a couple of minutes without proper cooling as doing so may ruin the range of the transmitter causing it to be much shorter....but it will still work so always range test if there is a chance it has been overheated."

I noticed the wifi transmitter in the phantom rely on the props downwash to cool. I don't think that is sufficient.
Another thing I noticed is that some say this seems to happening when they upgrade firmware. Could it be that some person has increased the power output and cause a wifi-fry on the transmitter.

I might look into using a 12v CPU fan to extend the life of the transmitter.[/quote]

I have also read that. In fact, when I installed a 600mw transmitter on my P1.5 it warned against powering up without an antenna.

However, in my case (with P2V+), I am still connected because I have full gimbal control and am receiving telemetry. I can even control the recording and take stills with the camera.
My issue is solely with the live video portion of the display in the app.
I hope to know whats going on next week.
By the way, DJI people in LA only say that the new app is defective and there is NOTHING they can do for me!
Can't accept that! Especially because I uninstalled the app and installed 1.0.38 and it still dosent work. Told them that but it dident seem to register.

HunterSK said:
jspad said:

Yes, I always get live video initially but on one of my Phantom Vision+ the video cuts out after a few minutes. The only way to restore it is to power cycle the aircraft. I even bought two Phantom Vision+ running on the same software and one has the issue while the other doesn't. I'm even running the software prior to the Ground Station support and the video fails.

I suspect it is a hardware issue with the video compression system feeding data into the WiFi system on the aircraft. My dealer is replacing my second Phantom.
I think it's some sort of software bug on the encoder side, considering:
1) If it were thermal, power cycling the aircraft wouldn't fix it for an extended period of time, and sometimes I've landed, power cycled, then immediately flown for 10 minutes without issue.
2) If it were the app, then closing the app and restarting it would fix the issue, but it doesn't.
3) Like others have commented, if I recall correctly all other wifi functions worked - it was ONLY video that was problematic.

Like yourself, when it happens (maybe one in every 4-5 flights?), power cycling the aircraft fixes it and that is the ONLY way to fix it for me.

Hovtech said:
jwwgold said:

What is our warranty? I've never seen a copy of it anywhere, and knowing DJI customer service sucks, I wonder if it has any value?
It's commonly known as the 'Driveway' warranty... As soon as the delivery van pulls into your driveway and you sign for it, it's out of warranty!!!

I found what I hope to be a fix. It has worked for the 2 batteries and 40 minutes that I flew today. I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 which worked flawlessly today. I even upped the resolution of the app to the highest (640x480 30fps I think). Think the new GS app used too much resources on my iPhone 4S with IOS 6.1 that it was not able to update the screen with the FPV view, telemetry was okay but just didn't have enough processing power and memory for the video. Once the cache is filled after a few minutes it just blacks out. Hopefully they will update the app so that the iphone 4S with older IOS will work.

No need to mess up the stickers when opening the body. Just cut the sticker (razor blade, exacto knife etc) along the parting line of upper and lower body shells before separating. I don't know if that affects the "what warranty" though.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj