Any Experience w/ Modifies Prop Guards?

Reaction score
I'm thinking of modifying my prop guards to remove half of each front guard to minimize seeing them in videos. Does this work?

I know there's a debate about using prop guards, but mainly I don't like seeing them in the FOV. I'm thinking about just cutting off the half of each front guard that is the main problem. I realize it reduces the effectiveness of the guards, but less than not using them at all.

I'm concerned about affecting the balance. Does the rear weight bias cause significant problems?

Has anyone tried this and had issues?

I fitted prop guards to my P2V+ and unless I had the camera pointed directly ahead, they did not come into view. Not sure if it works, but you could try narrowing the field of view from 140deg to 120deg and see if that helps. Chopping part of the guards off defeats the purpose of having them on there!

P.S. The reason I removed the prop guards was it made the Phantom a bit unstable, particularly in windy conditions. I think they caused turbulence being directly under the props. (Only my opinion)
Having said that however, they are a good idea and save your props if you hit anything. Particularly if you're like me using more expensive Carbon Fibre props.

Phantom_Menace66 said:
I fitted prop guards to my P2V+ and unless I had the camera pointed directly ahead, they did not come into view. Not sure if it works, but you could try narrowing the field of view from 140deg to 120deg and see if that helps. Chopping part of the guards off defeats the purpose of having them on there!

P.S. The reason I removed the prop guards was it made the Phantom a bit unstable, particularly in windy conditions. I think they caused turbulence being directly under the props. (Only my opinion)
Having said that however, they are a good idea and save your props if you hit anything. Particularly if you're like me using more expensive Carbon Fibre props.
I find they don't show unless I'm headed into the wind, then the Phantom needs more power and develops more forward lean and then they always show unless I tilt the camera down, and then I see more wide angle lens distortion. Pick your poison.
I normally video at 720 and there isn't a FOV option unless you go to 1080......which I may just do and deal with the larger files. The FOV options are 110 and 85. I plan to try the 85 and see how that works.

I was mildly concerned about crashing, before I received my Phantom 3 Pro'. But after the first few flights, I realized they would be a huge waste of time and the money too. Partcularly if they aren't the quick release variety. I have plenty of flight experience with my other quads so no, I wouldn't bother using them. And I don't fly Indoors with my Phantom 3. I have smaller, less expensive quad copters for that experience. Or I could even fire up the Parrot AR Drone 2.0, with its indoor hull attached. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik