Any angry confrontation stories to share?

Reaction score
So far I have been lucky as I have not had any encounters with an angry neighbor or bystander regarding my drone flying. It seems to be pretty common though judging by all the stories and YouTube videos. Do any of you have any confrontation stories? If I were confronted, while legally operating a drone, and the person was nice I would probably try to respect his wishes as much as I could. That is, as long as it wasn't an unreasonable request such as never fly here again etc. however, if it was a belligerent ahole like I have seen in so many videos I would simply tell him to go get stuffed and continue flying.

engage.gif

If you fly where you are supposed to fly and fly in a safe, responsible and legal manner, you will have people supporting you. There are plenty of people out there that don't understand this hobby.... Show them what you see so they don't have to ASSuME that they know what you are seeing and doing.
You can do a few searches on this forum to find others experiences.

I try to fly responsibly in general, however I also try to stay out of sight when I fly.. I don't mind if people see me, I just prefer to not attract unneeded attention. That said I can also see how this approach might make some think that I had something to hide.. so if anyone approaches and makes inquires I always respond politely..

I also try to fly respectfully and would always be very polite. It just seems there is no reasoning with some people though

Everyone has been cool so far. I fly in a field in town and the landowners are fine with it. The guy did show up drunk on his tractor one day and just asked me not to fly "over there" and pointed vaguely toward the back edge of the lot. I have not gone over there to check out the pot plants he is surely growing back there but may take a peak in the Fall when things are getting ripe :)

With all the critique of the 'media' fixating on the negative and allegedly wanting to 'ban drones' and similar nonsense... I'm glad to see so few mentions of hostile confrontations here.

I kinda think the thread itself is unnecessary but... TEHO.

With all the critique of the 'media' fixating on the negative and allegedly wanting to 'ban drones' and similar nonsense... I'm glad to see so few mentions of hostile confrontations here.

I kinda think the thread itself is unnecessary but... TEHO.
They haven't seen the thread yet :)

I haven't scoured the internet for drone news, but the news I keep seeing is all negative in reference to drones. Other than them killing the enemy and non-combatants in far off places, they collide with jumbo jets, crash into the heads of ladies and spy on people. I'm not going to say what we should all do, but I like it when other droners act politely and even show them what they are doing.

I really really don't want this hobby of mine and potential business opportunity to be ruined by the boneheads out there.

On one occasion, while taking some video of a golf course (GC), I crossed paths with a very angry man. He was on his condominium patio facing the GC when I followed my bird to the number one green. I had a permission to be there and the GC was closed for aeration.
He was rude beyond belief, said he would shoot it down, said I was invading his privacy, blah blah blah. I was polite with kindness and tried the usual effort to educate, until the threat of being shot down. I informed him; you do as you see fit, but make no mistake, you will be jailed for discharging a firearm into the air and firing at an aircraft." Following my replies, he shut up and apparently simply decided to phone his complaint to the local GC Pro.
Later I spoke with the Pro, whom I known for 20 plus years, and he said that he did have a voicemail from the jerk. He said, "He's an idiot, he's on a patio, on a golf course, and he complaining about privacy."

Nice to have someone of authority have your back, and for the record, the Pro was the person who authorized my flight, and he didn't bother to call the jerk back?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: liketogethigh
I have never had an issue tho I live in the ghetto. This whole town is a ghetto. It's the rich snobby people who always seem to think they own everything.

Reactions: Lifted Chevy
I have never had an issue tho I live in the ghetto. This whole town is a ghetto. It's the rich snobby people who always seem to think they own everything.
I live in the ghetto too and nobody says a word. I do fly in from different directions to hide where I'm landing to not show everyone the house to rob lol.

I live in the ghetto too and nobody says a word. I do fly in from different directions to hide where I'm landing to not show everyone the house to rob lol.
lol I built a forest around my yard, so hard to make out where it went. Plus I have a park in front of my house and live on a corner.

I have done the "How much does it cost?" (oh you can get them from 100 to 1500 depending on what options you want.)

lol I built a forest around my yard, so hard to make out where it went. Plus I have a park in front of my house and live on a corner.

I have done the "How much does it cost?" (oh you can get them from 100 to 1500 depending on what options you want.)
Hahahaha yeah I've used the " it's the cheap one " I doubt they could tell it's a P3P lol.

Reactions: LordEvil
I have been flying in my neighborhood for over a year and a half. Most of my neighbors are fascinated by it and ask the usual questions such as "how much" and "how far" and so forth. But on July 4th, some angry ahole walked straight onto my driveway where I was flying from and started to ***** me out. He told my not to fly over his house. I asked him where he lived and he responded "it does not matter". So I told him that if I do not know where he lives then how can I not fly over his house. He went on to tell me that I better be registered because it is a new law. He was yelling the whole time so I did not get a chance to say much. Finally he just walked away. About 15 minutes later he started lighting illegal fireworks. I am pretty sure setting of fireworks and trespassing onto my property is more illegal than flying 400 ft. above my neighborhood.

Reactions: liketogethigh

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20