Any Advantage to P3P Camera if filming in 1080P?

Reaction score
I don't have any interest in 4k at this point, and don't want to deal with the big files (and more complex editing software, I use Adobe Elements 13 which doesn't do 4k).

Are there any advantages if your recording in 1080p in the camera on thie pro?

I know this sounds like a dumb question, but I am buying a second P3, and if there is an advantage to the pro camera I will buy a Pro

No advantage other than a fan on the processor and 4k will be there when/if you decide to utilize it. For 250 bucks more I don't see why you wouldn't get the pro. jmho.

I have the Pro and love shooting in 1080p. Though I must admit if I was shooting lower quality I am not sure I could tell the difference.

Less compression in HD over 4k. 4k on the phantom has pretty heavy compression compared to 40mbps in HD. You will see less artifacts on high detail and movement.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I went with the Pro. I don't know exactly how this video was done but the Pro does look better all around. I would think with the higher data rate supported by the 4K, it would also support a bit higher frame rate at lower resolution than the Advanced.

Very important that you have a computer to ingest the 4K.

I would like to have a side by side comparison of both shot in 1080P. Guess there may be a difference in chargers?

I don't have any interest in 4k at this point, and don't want to deal with the big files (and more complex editing software, I use Adobe Elements 13 which doesn't do 4k).

I know this sounds like a dumb question, but I am buying a second P3, and if there is an advantage to the pro camera I will buy a Pro

Reading the details page on DJIs website from what I can gather the optics on the 4k version is different and maybe improved. Also a 4k camera would require some more processing power as well. I am thinking that there may be some improvement in 1080p footage shot on the P3P camera vs the P3A camera based on the different optics alone. Tho how much of a difference? I wouldn't know without seeing a direct comparison of the raw uncompressed footage from both cameras of the same scene.

Thanks Chuck Young and BenDronePilot, that's what I am wondering, if you shot in 1080P with the A vs Pro, would there be any difference,,is the processing any better on the camera in general,,,well I guess I have to just continue to wonder,,i have an A now, and want a backup,,,I might get the Pro to just see if there is any difference at 1080p

I'm wondering if you shoot in 4k, how much can you zoom in on that image and still come out with a 1080P video... I'm assuming I would have more editing power shooting in 4K and zooming in when needed, and still be able to produce a 1080P movie.

Thanks Chuck Young and BenDronePilot, that's what I am wondering, if you shot in 1080P with the A vs Pro, would there be any difference,,is the processing any better on the camera in general,,,well I guess I have to just continue to wonder,,i have an A now, and want a backup,,,I might get the Pro to just see if there is any difference at 1080p

I would love to answer your question but only have the Pro model. When I searched youtube for the difference it seemed the Pro shot better all around so that was the one I got. I also have an extremely powerful computer that easily consumes 4K. Much of the footage I shoot is simply to "see" what I can see and more pixels means I can see more. I also want really nice video and it has always been my experience the better the video you start with the better the video you end up with post-processing. To top it off I typically want the best I can get my hands on so...

Given all those factors and the paltry sum between the two, the decision to go with the pro was obvious to me.

resolutions-ultra-hd-4k-1080p-720p-dvd.png

Kind of like that.

Reactions: Andy Collins
Chuck, what program are you using to work with the files, I have Adobe Premiere Elements 13, which I'm not sure if it supports 4k. My computer has a i7 chip with 12G ram, but I can increase that in a few minutes...what do you use and what do you recommend?

The CMOS sensor on both advance and professional are the same so both are scanning at 4K and scaling to record 1080p. Whether the processing is the same is the question. I have both advance and professional and when recording in 1080p they look identical. In 4k the only issue is the relatively low bit rate of 60mbs. It's just not enough and with movement can cause artifacts. In 1080p the bitrate is relatively high at 40mbs. I work in broadcast and 50mbs is the golden number but that does depend on the codec.

Due to chroma subsampling 4K even when viewed on a 1080p monitor can give a better picture -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIf9h2Gkm_U.

To put it in prospective the Sony F55 4k broadcast camera records upto 800mbs for 4k!

Chroma sub sampling is how colour is processed or retained/ditched. It has no barring on detail, luminance or encoding artifacts.

It's all down to how well the hardware scaler built into the camera works. Often not as well as software scalers but from what I see the phantom cameras are pretty good.

Reading the details page on DJIs website from what I can gather the optics on the 4k version is different and maybe improved. .. I am thinking that there may be some improvement in 1080p footage shot on the P3P camera vs the P3A camera based on the different optics alone.
That's the first suggestion I've seen that the cameras are different in more than the extra chip and fan.
I can't see any indication in the specs to support this and would be very surprised if there is any optical difference.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers