Antennas

Reaction score
On my 5.8ghz black pearl monitor I have a spiro net anntena and on the left a patch antenna.
On the video tx another spiro.

What is the correct orientation these should be facing?
The aerial on the 2.4 ghz controller which way should that face also?

Also ordered some 90° SMA connectors in case I need to use them, let me know which way guys so I can adjust them up! :D

No idea. At the moment I just pointing towards each other. I'm not sure what the correct way is

Avoid the adapters, they will degrade the signal. Typically you do not use 2 patch antennas, which is what you describe that you have. I use one patch and one clover leaf style. A patch antenna must be pointed towards the UAV at all times. A clover leaf style gives you a broader coverage range but weaker than a patch. Using both together covers you for most situations.

PS - NEVER power on a transmitter without the antenna attached or you could burn it up.

Take a look at this video and when its done you will understand how they work.
He does an amazing job at explaining it.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx7gMUw1MGw[/youtube]

Uav? If i can't point it in a certain direction do I still not use 90° connectors?

Brilliant video!

What about the aerial on my controller should I point this towards the Phantom? Where is the aerial for the receiver on the Phantom? Is it the wires running down the legs?

U.A.V. = Unmanned Aerial Vehicle

There are two antenna wires on the legs of the Phantom, they are fine in they're original positions. The controller is a dipole antenna that does not need to be in a particular position, just tilt it up a little. The FPV antennas are the ones you want to concentrate on having in the right position.

LuvMyTJ said:

There are two antenna wires on the legs of the Phantom, they are fine in they're original positions. The controller is a dipole antenna that does not need to be in a particular position, just tilt it up a little. The FPV antennas are the ones you want to concentrate on having in the right position.

Dipole? It looks like a vertical antenna to me, if we are talking about the supplied controller antenna. Dipoles are center feed, with ladder line or coax, with stranded antenna wire on each side of where the coax is. Both sides are the same length, tuned to a specific frequency.

PhantomFanatic said:
LuvMyTJ said:

Dipole? It looks like a vertical antenna to me, if we are talking about the supplied controller antenna. Dipoles are center feed, with ladder line or coax, with stranded antenna wire on each side of where the coax is. Both sides are the same length, tuned to a specific frequency.

My bad, I meant omni-directional.

LuvMyTJ said:
PhantomFanatic said:
LuvMyTJ said:

My bad, I meant omni-directional.

Boy, I'm going to save this one! :) (A vertical is omni-directional.) If you had a helper, a beam antenna on a high pole and turned manually or via an antenna rotor, always aimed at the UAV, would give you (us) very long distances! (If you had the payload ability for a huge battery!)

I know of the perfect UAV for that and it is on my want list! Flight distances of 18 miles is easily acheivable with the standard antennas!

:roll: Erm I just want to know which way to point it...

Crikey you can get18 miles on standard antenna or are you talking about something else :shock:

Turbazz said:

Crikey you can get18 miles on standard antenna or are you talking about something else :shock:

I answered you on the first page, the same post as the video.
A patch antenna must be pointed towards the UAV at all times.

You said you had 2 patch antennas so point them at the Phantom at all times for the best signal.

LuvMyTJ said:
Turbazz said:

I answered you on the first page, the same post as the video.
A patch antenna must be pointed towards the UAV at all times.

You said you had 2 patch antennas so point them at the Phantom at all times for the best signal.

YOU didn't answer me unless I'm missing something :?:

Question was which which way to point the video transmission and monitor aerials and the radio control...

You answered the first two.

Where have I written I have two Patch anntenas?? I only have one dude!

Sorry, but I'm a little lost in regards to your remaining question. Please ask just that question. We are trying to help you. :)

Re-read your fist post. So you have a spironet and a patch.
Here is a photo to consult for positioning.

A4-Flysight-Black-Pearl-7-Fpv-Monitor-with-5-8GHz-Diversity-Receiver-for-Dji-Quadcopter-Dji-S800-Dji-S1000.jpg

The RC controller has the omni directional, AKA vertical antenna. Keep it vertical.

I need to say that a Spironet is sorta like a top-hat vertical, but still omni-directional. But, without knowing how the wires are wrapped in the patch antenna, I can't be certain. But, it may be Bi-Directional, somewhat like a dipole. That was hard to say! So, depending on which antenna you were referring to, you were either correct or wrong. If you meant both, you were half-wrong and half-correct! That does cancel out each other! :)

Turbazz said:
I have these

http://www.quadcopters.co.uk/immersion- ... -464-p.asp VERTICAL

http://www.quadcopters.co.uk/immersionr ... -757-p.asp VERTICAL

http://www.immersionrc.com/fpv-products ... t2g4patch/ POINT AT QUAD

They call the 1st link Spiro as well in the description that's where the confusion is lying.

Anyway which way should everything be pointing
Just like the photo I posted. The first two links/antennas go vertical, the third link, or patch you face the flat front part toward the Phantom.
If your monitor is mounted to the controller it is much easier to keep the patch antenna pointed in the right direction.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1