antenna spread

Reaction score
Ok, so I need a little clarification. In the quick start guide they show a picture of the rc antennae pointing straight up as the best position. Yet in many, many of the videos I've seen, folks point them outward like a V. On the rc itself there seems to be a stop at this "V" position. Which is best and why?
Thanks ... Ed

In a perfect world, both antennas are perpendicular to an imaginary line to the craft, wherever it is in space.

In other words, both basically pointed straight up and the rear of the TX pointed towards the quad.

The antennae being parallel is best, however in the "normal" position with them bent 90 degrees, my phone/tablet does not allow this, and I have to "V" them out slightly. Say if the quad was straight above you it would be best to have them unbent, and parallel to each other.

The antennas are linearly polarized and in a vertical orientation.

On the controller you want them vertical or plumb as some might say. These particular two have some gain in the forward direction due to a ground plane as part of their construction (they're actually formed on a PCB.). Keeping them vertical keeps them in the same orientation as the antennas on the aircraft which are in the vertical section of the landing gear.
The aircraft's antennas are a true dipole and therefor are said to be omni-directional with no favored side, sort of speak.
The notion of the slight 'V' makes no real difference in practice.

These antennas have little to no sensitivity on the tips or ends and is why when flying near or directly overhead your range and or signal quality is very low.

****! There's be some smart folk here! I've got a lot to learn.
Thanks for the info. Parallel and pointed away from the center of the earth sounds like it should keep me out of trouble.

If you need a visual, here's a good video showing how the signal works:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Mikey B

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.