Antenna Mod

Reaction score
Now that I have my FPV finally working like I should I am considering doing the 8dBi TP-Link antenna mod and replacing the stock DJI Tx Controller antenna.

Has anyone tested the reliability long term of this mod? I know that DJI uses silicone glue to secure the pigtail ... should I?

I don't really need the extended range but I do want the security of the range and signal strength now that I can fly 2km.

I use a blob of hot melt glue over the u.fl to stop it moving.

I was using a Horizon 2.4GHz 6dBi Black Hawk but also what to test with the TP-Link 8dBi Omni. Came in the post today so will test over the weekend :D

xgeek said:
I use a blob of hot melt glue over the u.fl to stop it moving.

I was using a Horizon 2.4GHz 6dBi Black Hawk but also what to test with the TP-Link 8dBi Omni. Came in the post today so will test over the weekend :D

Cool. Post here when you can. This 8db antenna is huge !!!
Did you Drexel out the top?

How do you keep the pigtail from spinning ?

I just drilled a pilot hole and used a reamer.

What do you mean by spinning?. The RP-SMA connector is held tight via a lock washer and a nut and the u.fl end clips on the transmitter PCB and I put a blob of hot melt glue over the u.fl connector just in case :D

I had to move my RP-SMA connector from the location I had it for my helical so the TP-Link will clear my BP monitor :(

Attachments

• photo 1-5.JPG
    photo 1-5.JPG
    319.1 KB · Views: 484
  • photo 2-4.JPG
    photo 2-4.JPG
    262 KB · Views: 463
xgeek said:
I just drilled a pilot hole and used a reamer.

What do you mean by spinning?. The RP-SMA connector is held tight via a lock washer and a nut and the u.fl end clips on the transmitter PCB and I put a blob of hot melt glue over the u.fl connector just in case :D

I had to move my RP-SMA connector from the location I had it for my helical so the TP-Link will clear my BP monitor :(

Oh ok. I see. I like that setup similar to mine. Where did you buy the pigtail? I bought a crappy one from eBay. Thank god I didn't install it. It fell apart.

OH and what size drill bit did you use?

The pigtail came with the 2.4GHz helical from Horizon antennas. I just used a 1mm drill for the pilot hole and then reamed it out.

Is this really a good idea?

There's no magic inside this thing.

It is designed for 'ground' use meaning the Transceivers or WiFi devices are at about the same height as this antenna.

In order to obtain the gain they limit the vertical angle or beam width and in this case it's 15 degrees making it more directional laterally where you would expect to find WiFi devices, not up and away where your a/c is.

In many cases a high gain antenna is a detriment to the system performance because the system needs to have coverage over a large area.

It's also rated in dBi which tends to exaggerate real-world performance.

Who said there was magic inside? and I am well aware how they work. I like tinkering, tweaking and testing different setups. Will do some tests and if I don't like it will switch back to my Helical.

Just pointing out some potential risk for those not as 'well aware' as you are.

I noticed you made no mention of that.

N017RW said:
Just pointing out some potential risk for those not as 'well aware' as you are.

I noticed you made no mention of that.

No mention of what?. d4ddyo asked a question and I answered him. I was not aware I needed to preface my post with qualifications :D

At the moment I am testing long range setups. I normally test at 120m high. At that height and at a distance of 4km the vertical angle is only 1.72 degrees. Well within spec of this antenna.

Can't argue with Pythagarus :lol:

Your application is fine.

But others flying outside the triangles area may actually see a reduction in range.

You answered my questions.

Cheers!

I would love it if the iOSD mini showed vertical angle from take off. It's not hard for them to do as they already know height and distance.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic