Antenna checking.

Reaction score
I am not convinced I am getting enough distance out of my P3P. I suspect the antenna's. I did notice ages back they were loose and I wound them back in again tight. Yes I know about the 11 & 1 position. :)

So is there some function you can use to check signal strength? Done all the usual IMU, compass calibration etc.

What sort of height upwards should I be able to get? I only ask because if I try going high I cannot blame terrain, interference etc as much. Not only that I will know where it is rather than risking it going off into the distance.

Ideas?

Legally you can fly up to 1000ft high in the uk. Many people will say no it is 400' but I saw an air worthiness directive that says 1000ft.
Remember don't go straight up to that height overhead or you need to crick your neck and point the transmitter above your head almost upside down! Go a distance away first.
Which controller do you have?

The antennas are designed and positioned for lateral exposure and vertical polarization. This means you want to 'see' the sides not the ends/tips. The antennas have little to no sensitivity on the ends. When overhead you are only exposing the ends to each other and therefore are less efficient to transfer the signal.

I was not really planning to sit it on my head for take off . ;) But I know what you mean. I usually put it in front of me 20 feet away, just in case the wind blows and the copter tries to give me a haircut.

As for the controller no mods, just the straightforward one that came with the P3P originally a year ago.

You should be able to go the legal limit straight up so 400 to 1000 feet should be no problem with no mods. How much distance are you getting currently that you're suspecting isn't enough?

Are you in a WiFi congested area? I live in NY and I get good range with my P3P. Good, steady signal as long as it's line of sight, no matter the distance.

I was not really planning to sit it on my head for take off . ;) But I know what you mean. I usually put it in front of me 20 feet away, just in case the wind blows and the copter tries to give me a haircut.

As for the controller no mods, just the straightforward one that came with the P3P originally a year ago.

20ft is still way too close! If you want to go high you need to be a few hundred feet away from you first!

Few hundred feet????????????? Never needed to do that.

The range on mine is around 1020 feet flying straight and level. But I read of guys going Miles with theirs.

It makes the angle much easier when flying very high.
I can get a distance of 15000' or 2.84miles before RTH kicks in due to low battery. That is flying at an altitude of 400'
P3P with a 300B controller totally standard not even with windsurfers.
If you are struggling windsurfers probably the best bet.

I certainly do not get anything like that distance no matter where I fly. That is why I was wondering if there was some signal strength indicator somewhere. Also tempted to send it in for a service to see if they can sort it. Been like this since new.

Thanks for the replies.

P.S I usually fly between 200-300 feet high. :)

Reactions: N017RW
I certainly do not get anything like that distance no matter where I fly. That is why I was wondering if there was some signal strength indicator somewhere. Also tempted to send it in for a service to see if they can sort it. Been like this since new.

Thanks for the replies.

P.S I usually fly between 200-300 feet high. :)

Which controller is it? People say the 300C isn't so good on range.
Have you thought of a DBS MOD? Having said that if your controller is faulty then it needs to go back.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik