Another Phantom Vision Review (Best one yet IMO)

Re: Another Phantom Vision review

I'm getting new phantom envy. No mention of using the NAZA software upgrade on the computer ( the NAZTY upgrade). If DJI has done a major upgrade on the old Phantom, and it looks like they have, I hope they've taken their IT department and shot them or whatever they do in China. The illogical and unintuitive upgrades ranged from bizarre to maddening.

Re: Another Phantom Vision review

I have to say, I was expecting my reaction to the Vision to be "meh" but I'm actually excited to get one. Even more so after that review.
But Rilot, why would you bother when you have an F550, a GoPro H3B, a gimbal and a V1 Phantom? I hear you ask.

Well, it's just so portable. I can chuck the whole Vision rig in a box in the car and just fly whenever I see something I want to photograph from the air. No setting up the gimbal, no making sure the GoPro is charged and in the right mode, no forgetting to hit record on the GoPro. Just get it out and fly.

Awesome. I can't wait to get one.

I agree, that the information is getting much better. Since I assume that most of us have the original Phantom, that it will be much easier to work out the problems and get the bird in the air. Looks like the flight stability is great.

Got mine on pre-order with Dronefly. Says they will ship on October 28. Just have to wait :(

But nobody has seen your unedited footage have they, so lets see how good your set up is JSG.
You don't claim to be a pro not that ive seen, but quick enough to slag ANY VISION footage pro or amateur.
I think you have issues with your set up, and trying to defend your tat and compare it with the vision.
The vision is not aimed at pros like your self, dji rep evan said its not going to get you ZENMUSE quality.

Sent from a GS4 using tapacrap

I have to give credit to DJI for advancing the platform's out of the box capabilities, but watching that video does not make me want one at all. A few things are readily apparent to me that others may have overlooked, so let me point out just a couple in as constructive a manner as possible.

First off - did you take note that the pilot is, at all times, standing in the DEEP SHADE. That's not just an accident nor done for the purpose of the video. I bet the view of the smartphone is horrid in sunlight. I prefer to fly with the sun at my back - pretty sure others have this habit too when they fly, whether they realize it or not. Your FPV will be shitty in the sun. Period.

Next up: Proprietary battery. That means all your current $$$ tied up in batteries is out the window. :evil: DJI could have left the XT60 connectors and just given us a bigger bay and an on/off switch and let consumers pick and chose the best battery for their application. Now when you need additional batteries you are DJI's *****. As battery prices are competitively priced when you have a choice, and NOT when you can claim a monopoly, I bet you will pay more per minute of flight than necessary.

Thirdly: Self-tightening props. Have 'em on my Phantom v.1.1.1. No ability to balance and keep your motor bearings healthy and happy. BAD. Can't wait for my new carbon-fiber blades so I can chuck those OEM props.

Lastly: What about when you just want to go out and FLY. Now you are lugging around the weight (for flying purposes not for transport) all around the sky. So you are flying a brick with shortened flight time by comparison to what it COULD be if the camera were removable (which it doesn't appear to be, but I could be wrong). Anybody have firm info on this?

That's just for starters...

PF

Phantomfan, I feel your points aren't really valid.

Firstly, modern, quality smartphones are fine in direct sunlight. I can much more easily see my iPhone screen in the sun than I can my dedicated FPV monitor.

Proprietary battery: Yes, I agree it's a pain but, It's a battery at the end of the day. It's not going to be too hard to modify the Vision with some fly leads to an XT60.

Self-tightening props: So ditch them. You don't HAVE to use them.

When you just want to fly: That's not what the Vision is for. That's like saying about an iPhone; "what about when I just want to make calls and text today, I'm carrying around a smartphone I don't need"
The camera looks to be removeable anyway.

rilot: Thanks for the thoughtful and respectful reply. I see your points as well. It's a clean, complete package, no doubt about it. And a logical next step in development. I'm happy to give credit where credit is due, and DJI will likely have hit a marketing home run with this product. Still, I think people need to consider both our points when making the decision to plunk down their ever-harder to earn cash.

I see how my objections can be overcome IF you are willing and able to take the machine apart to solder up a standard battery connector, and you don't mind chucking the props. I'd be fine with both those things as my old R/C modeling days were mostly self-built kit planes. [Confession: I did have a couple of ARTF pattern planes (Bud Light) in my day.] I have a high confidence in soldering, re-balancing and stuff like that - not sure everyone who is in the market for a Vision would be happy doing it, though.

The one thing I still think is problematic is the bright daylight visibility of the screen. That I'd want to see to believe before plunking down big bucks. Making that decision on the basis of a video? Eeeks. :eek:

PF

Phantom Fan, you bring up a good point about the glare from the sun on the iPhone or Android screen for FVP. That lead me to do some research and so far (10 min) I found this for 5 bucks on amazon that might be a good investment:

http://www.squarejellyfish.com/sun-shield.html

http://www.amazon.com/Square-Jellyfish- ... sun+shield

Basically it looks like you need a bumper or similar case to use it. I already have one of those.
Anyway I ordered one and I will put up some pics when it arrives and later if it works to use with the Vision.
Need my vision first!!!

I am sure there are some other ones out there too. I am hoping an iPad app comes out so I can use a chest harness with the Phantom. I'll look like a tool but I think it will be easier than the smaller interface of the iPhone.

I agree about losing my investment in many 2200 and 2700 batteries. Maybe I can sell them to a Prius owner? In terms of quality video the Phantom has always been on the wrong side of the equation as a practical video platform. Zenmuse is too much money, batteries too small, ESCs too small for a serious lifter, and if you went with the stock tx you always had the nagging concern of losing the whole **** thing. think we all agree that the same money going into a F450 is way better if video is your game. I think the logic is the same with the V2, serious videography requires a 450 or 550. And you can use all your old batteries, gimbal, camera. One issue I see with the V2 is someone messing with their phone controls, taking hands off the tx and getting mixed up. It's hard enough concentrating on the simple controls for a noob let alone throwing on an awkwardly sited iPhone. Although the display on the phone can be pretty good in the sun, it still takes a minute from staring at white clouds with a phantom up there somewhere to looking at small phone controls and carefully selecting what you want. Hopefully there is nothing on the screen that can upset the flight as you cackhandedly fumble for a gimbal slider.

I view the Phantom as an entry level FLYING platform for those who are (or have) flown flying R/C heli's in the past, or have NEVER flown any R/C airship ever. It is a perfect platform from which to learn and hone flying, hovering, and take-off and landing skills. I was just out flying in a pretty good wind and I was still able to take off and land from a resin tabletop. The V2 is an entry level VIDEOGRAPHY platform.

For pure flying enjoyment (what I'm all about) I can already see I'm going to outgrow my Phantom pretty quickly. I ordered and await delivery of a brand-new OFM ("Oh **** Me" or "Only Flying Machines" - your choice!) Jumper 600 kit I snagged from the manufacturer for $700 total to my door after some dickering. (Regular price is >$1,800). Interested parties can see: http://onlyflyingmachines.com/product/j ... escription

I got it at that price because I have a brand new, in-box Futaba T8H already, so that came off the price, and that fact also saved Ali the costs of shipping that item as well. It left Hong Kong yesterday. I figure it'll take me a day to put together and a day to get all the software squared away. Maybe another day or two to tweak the controls.

As between the Phantom and the Jumper, I'll continue to fly the Phantom completely stock until my carbon fiber props arrive, and that will be the last money I spend on the Phantom except for the two extra battery packs I already got. After that, whenever the wind is up like today, I think the Jumper will be the quad of choice.

PF

PhantomFan you are spot on there. The Phantom and Vision are entry-level products that just happen to appeal to novices and seasoned fliers alike. DJI are going for the entry level with this. People just getting interested in it tend to want turn-key solutions. The Phantom was nearly there but the Vision takes it to the next level.

Then they can sell them an S800 EVO Zenmuse kit once they've outgrown the Vision.

IMO, the more people that get involved with this totally awesome hobby the better. Well, as long as they don't fly like a **** and give us all a bad name.

rilot said:
IMO, the more people that get involved with this totally awesome hobby the better. Well, as long as they don't fly like a **** and give us all a bad name.

I agree with your whole post, but I wanted to capture this quote because I think it deserves notice. You are absolutely right. The more folks (who fly responsibly) the better our lobby will be when the legislators try and limit our activities to account for the few that don't. It's ALWAYS the irresponsible few that compromise the rights of the many. That's why I'm hoping when someone posts a video or creates a post bragging of chronic, absurdly dangerous flying that the community let that individual know the downside to engaging in that behavior.

Accidents happen. I have seen many an R/C airplane auger-in and get atomized from interference, engine quitting, pilot error, and just plain hot-dogging. I've had it happen to me. One time I crashed behind the flight line (the no-fly area where spectators and cars are located) because some chuckle-head in our club turned on his Tx on my same frequency to do a radio check without the clothespin we would take from the frequency board and wear on our jacket while flying. That was the whole purpose of the frequency board - to prevent two radios being on the same frequency at the same time. No clothespin in your possession, NO Tx. Period.

Crashing is a part of learning, as is re-building and repairing. I've done plenty of all that. Avoidable loss through irresponsibility, or failure to read the manual, or follow the rules and guidelines is a whole 'nuther thing. That incident cost me a plane that took me 40 or so hours to construct. Narrowly missed someones car. Destroyed a .60 OS engine. Scared the **** out of me, and made for a near altercation with the offender who turned my plane back into a kit. :lol:

Some real personal or property damage could have occurred. The stars were in my favor that day, and luckily, only a plane died. :cry:

PF

Flydogs, I have the app loaded on my IPAD. Shouldn't that work?
I am waiting on my Phantom Vision to arrive this afternoon, so I have not tried it yet.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj