another Phantom for me?

Reaction score
I see B&H has some sales on Phantoms. I have the Phantom 1.1.1 I got back in April 2014. Still flies fine. Not sure what to upgrade to. I'm a little afraid of gimbles althought they are nice when working but I read so many have problems. I also have a gopro that takes good video so I'm not sure I need a model with its own camera. The wifi downlink to smartphone seems like it would be nice but isn't the range very short? What else does the downlink provide? Suggestions from owners would be helpful. Some of the deals also offer a free second battery. I hear some complain about the DJI cameras. Just not sure what do do. Also, how much different is the operation with different software than my Phantom 1.1.1. I've had good luck with my Phantom 1. I also have the Fatshark fpv on 5.8 mh. I know I can't use that on 5.8 radio systems. I don't want a model that although it has more features gives me more problms. One thing that has stopped me so far is the smart batteries that so many complain about. At least the Phantom 1 batteries are simple and cheap but short fly times.

:D
Go for the new P2V + Monte55!
You'll love it.

A simple gimbal, taller landing gear and maybe the hobbyking Multistar batteries and custom battery door for bigger battery would be my choice with you current setup. $1200+ multirotors take the fun out of flying :)

Monte55 said:
Thanks for the replies but didn't get enough info to make a wise choice.

I would not buy a multirotor that uses overpriced proprietary LiPos (again). I know this is phantompilots. Just because B&H is having a sale, does not mean you have to buy a Phantom. Compare prices on batteries and spare parts and decide what you want to use you flying platform for?

I hear ya. I like the look of gimble video but I want to have fun doing this. I'm not trying to do pro video but would like it to be good. On a calm day with my Phantom 1 and no gimble, I got some nice video. I don't want to buy a pile of trouble and disappointment. Dji is taking the choices away with the new models with the smart batteries. I don't want to buy something only to have to modify it and have no warranty because I changed it. I got into the Phantoms because there is more support....not from Dji though as I hear. Smart batteries are overpriced and quirky in my opinion. It's nice to have the feedback from them but not absolutely necessary. I always have a timer on my tx and know what to expect plus the battery warning on quad. They are designing everything around smart batteries. So many are pissed at the failures and crazy feedback from the smart batteries making their quads doing autoland or crash with plenty of power left. What's next. Smart gas for cars that doesn't work properly. ?

Monte55 said:
I hear ya. I like the look of gimble video but I want to have fun doing this. I'm not trying to do pro video but would like it to be good. On a calm day with my Phantom 1 and no gimble, I got some nice video. I don't want to buy a pile of trouble and disappointment. Dji is taking the choices away with the new models with the smart batteries. I don't want to buy something only to have to modify it and have no warranty because I changed it. I got into the Phantoms because there is more support....not from Dji though as I hear. Smart batteries are overpriced and quirky in my opinion. It's nice to have the feedback from them but not absolutely necessary. I always have a timer on my tx and know what to expect plus the battery warning on quad. They are designing everything around smart batteries. So many are pissed at the failures and crazy feedback from the smart batteries making their quads doing autoland or crash with plenty of power left. What's next. Smart gas for cars that doesn't work properly. ?

Getting fed up with DJI I just built a RCExplorer Tricopter (rcexplorer.se) and added my own gimbal. Using the taranis tx I still get telemetry etc. Just a lot of fun! If you like to tinker that may be a great choice for you too?
http://youtu.be/NRJs72YOcv0

Monte55 said:
I hear ya. What's next. Smart gas for cars that doesn't work properly. ?

:lol: Ethanol.

Any more input on this? If I'm to buy I would like to do it during the sales. Are vision cameras any good or would I be better off using my Gopro. ? Is the wifi downlink to smartphone that great or just something to have? What info does it provide? I'm not going for distance or height records. I normally keep it los. But with better info, I might go a tad farther.

BTW. I am alone with my two dogs and would like to surprise myself for Christmas. I hope I don't see any of these posts. That would ruin the surprise.

I have a Phantom 2 Vision and use a Samsung S3 7" Tablet to read the camera output and telemetry and I can see exactly the % of battery left how many satellites I have linked I have had telemetry on a Rc car That was a gimick but I would honestly say on the P2v its great as you have the time and stability in the craft to read it and think I am just a guy who enjoys it for fun the camera is good enough for me and It can take a crash and not destroy the camera into a metal pole at speed and hit the floor from 3m I did have prop guards on with the string on and they helped take out the impact

mocca said:
I have a Phantom 2 Vision and use a Samsung S3 7" Tablet to read the camera output and telemetry and I can see exactly the % of battery left how many satellites I have linked I have had telemetry on a Rc car That was a gimick but I would honestly say on the P2v its great as you have the time and stability in the craft to read it and think I am just a guy who enjoys it for fun the camera is good enough for me and It can take a crash and not destroy the camera into a metal pole at speed and hit the floor from 3m I did have prop guards on with the string on and they helped take out the impact

So you have fpv on your tablet? I have Fatshark but It won't work on this ....correct? Isn't your controller 5.8 gh?

B&H has the Phantom 2 Vision with extra battery for $799 and free shipping. Doesn't sound bad at all. Are you happy with yours? Was this your first Phantom. ?
can the camera be controlled on it. Does it have a gimble thing?

I just got a PV2+. So far I think its great. I've had a phantom 1.1.1 for almost a year that I use for fpv, but I want to more into ariel video editing. The vision takes excellent video.

I just bought the V2+, the new version, and love it. I already own a hero 4 so I was torn between the one I have and the V2 with the H3-3D. Other weeks of research I went with the simpler setup. I have no regrets.

I love having the video feed on my cell or tablet. And I like how quickly I can go from the box to flying. Coukd I be getting much better 4K videos from my gopro, definitely, but in the simplicity and ease of use won out.

The only question for me now I'd durability. And one last note I kinda like the smart batteries. Having flown planes and heli I have plenty puffed up lipos. I like that I can just plug them in and they take care of the rest.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic