Another P2 battery clone to consider

GearLoose said:
I just had a PM from "will3d4food" suggesting this P2 clone battery:

http://nukerc.com/phantom-2-clone-li-po-battery.html

Has anyone tried this battery? Any experience with "Nuke RC"?

There's supposed to be a shipment of the "Nukes" sometime soon according to them. (There's another thread here also) I've been in contact with Nukes to see if they could make a 4S version of the P2 battery and they're considering it. Long story short - you'll get 30mins + from a 4S version.

If 30 minutes is actually attainable I hope they do more than consider creating a 4s. That kind of flight time on a Phantom would be a genuine breakthrough.

EMCSQUAR said:
GearLoose said:

There's supposed to be a shipment of the "Nukes" sometime soon according to them. (There's another thread here also) I've been in contact with Nukes to see if they could make a 4S version of the P2 battery and they're considering it. Long story short - you'll get 30mins + from a 4S version.

Is this company reputable? I have never herd of them and looking at their site the only thing they have for sale is the P2 Batteries. I hate that the OEM batteries are $150 but I would also hate myself if my $1300 P2 fell from the sky because I tried to save a few bucks on a battery. If people try them and they work good I may consider a few but I dont plan on being the test dummy. Hopefully they are good alternative batteries.

I appreciate that you're willing to be our beta tester on this battery. If it turns out to be a dud, please send me a PM. I'll offer a contribution for your sacrifice. :)

FASTFJR said:
So I bit the bullet and bought one. I'll fly the 2-3 flights a few feet above the ground.

FASTFJR said:
So I bit the bullet and bought one. I'll fly the 2-3 flights a few feet above the ground.

Weigh the legs down and try some extended full throttle runs as well, near the beginning, middle, and end of the charge. The banggood batteries would fail completely when when power was applied.

FASTFJR said:
Please keep us posted and thank you for beta testing!. Like I said if they are good batteries I will buy a few.

EMCSQUAR said:
GearLoose said:

I'm trying to understand this statement "you'll get 30mins + from a 4S version".

First- What mAh capacity 4S pack is needed to give you "...30mins +..."?
How did you determine this?

Here's what I'm thinking...

The current, 3S2P-5200, pack configuration is 11.1v x 5200mAh, or a wee bit under 58 watt hours.

To achieve the with same watt hour capacity with a 4S pack, you would [only] need about 4000mAh/cell.

Easy enough, 1S-4000 cells are available, but have you seen the size of a 4000mAh LiPo cell?
Remember- that just gets you even in the watt hour capacity specification.

So in order to increase flight times, you would need to also increase mAh capacity beyond 4000mAh, further increasing the size of the cell(s).

How will this fit in the existing compartment?

It seems the 3S2P configuration hit the sweet spot with size/weight, voltage, and capacity... No, Yes?

(Is 'watt hour' the proper metric for comparing P2 battery performance?)

Having said all this, I welcome any discussion or explanation of where I might have made a mistake.

Thanks in Advance.

It depends on what you're carrying, too. I've gotten over 30 minutes on a phantom 1 with a 5400mah 3s pack, and I've also strapped 10,400mah to the same bird.

I think it would be really tough to hit 30 minutes with a typical gimbal +gopro +FPV load out with the stock motors. But I'd love to be proven wrong about that :)

N017RW said:
EMCSQUAR said:
GearLoose said:

I'm trying to understand this statement "you'll get 30mins + from a 4S version".

First- What mAh capacity 4S pack is needed to give you "...30mins +..."?
How did you determine this?

I flew one of my P1.5 conversions over 30 mins on a Turnigy 4s 5000 mah/30c battery to first battery warning (I was getting bored). This one has E300 propulsion set up, IOSD, and 2.4 ground station mounted - note no gimbal just static mount GoPro. Same bird w/P2 5200 battery gets 22 mins until 1st warning, 24 to 2nd warning.

I originally spoke to Alex at DJI about a 4s and he said they'd consider it after they did more tests. But he did confirm original Phantom motors & ESCs will run 4s no problem. I then emailed Nuke RC and they said they'd speak w/their mfgr about it. That was June 5th.

I bit, ordered a nuke battery. Will post my thoughts up once it arrives and I have a few flights.

Captain Salty said:
I bit, ordered a nuke battery. Will post my thoughts up once it arrives and I have a few flights.

That will make two of us. I should have mine in 7-10 days. Hopefully we won't have any issues. FYI everyone, it was almost $90.00 with shipping.

I've already alerted Nuke to tell them I would be giving a report to "Phantom Pilots" on their battery performance. Hopefully I / we won't be disappointed.

EMCSQUAR said:
I flew one of my P1.5 conversions over 30 mins on a Turnigy 4s 5000 mah/30c battery to first battery warning (I was getting bored). This one has E300 propulsion set up, IOSD, and 2.4 ground station mounted - note no gimbal just static mount GoPro. Same bird w/P2 5200 battery gets 22 mins until 1st warning, 24 to 2nd warning.

That is an awesome test :)

I was almost tempted by their "we're the good guys" sales pitch so I emailed them to ask for an assurance that DJI wouldn't be able to block the use of this battery with future firmware updates. They couldn't give me one so I decided I didn't want to risk ending up with a great value battery that in a few months time would be neither use nor ornament

WessexWyvern said:
I was almost tempted by their "we're the good guys" sales pitch so I emailed them to ask for an assurance that DJI wouldn't be able to block the use of this battery with future firmware updates. They couldn't give me one so I decided I didn't want to risk ending up with a great value battery that in a few months time would be neither use nor ornament

At least they're honest about it. AFAIK, the current SMB smart battery system implementation identifies the Phantom battery in clear text, and there is an available encryption/authentication mechanism that isn't being used. DJI could potentially activate this with a firmware update anytime, cutting off authentication for all 3rd party smart chips. Frankly, after the whole banggood recall issue, I'm kind of surprised they haven't done so already.

ElGuano said:
WessexWyvern said:

At least they're honest about it. AFAIK, the current SMB smart battery system implementation identifies the Phantom battery in clear text, and there is an available encryption/authentication mechanism that isn't being used. DJI could potentially activate this with a firmware update anytime, cutting off authentication for all 3rd party smart chips. Frankly, after the whole banggood recall issue, I'm kind of surprised they haven't done so already.

That would be a good reason not to upgrade if they are going to do something like that. Especially if these batteries turn out to be as good as the originals.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1