Another New member with questions

Reaction score
My DJI arrived today.

I was wondering about charging the wi/fi extender.

I never received a wall socket for the usb cable.

Since battery charging is a Big deal with this thing - does it matter what rate I charge the wi/fi extender.

I have a USB 16 amp lithium battery bank that can output up to 2.5 amps!!! -

I have always wondered about the 2.5amp output. Do the devices I hook up to it only draw at the recommended amp or could I be damaging certain devices only meant to be drawing at say 500millamps?

Sorry I am not up with all this - I guess I am wondering if I should charge of my desktop PC - or will it be ok to charge off said lithium battery bank.

Thanks in advance - I best get back to watching the tutorials.

Hope you don't mind I will have more questions as they follow - if I can't find them already (and understand from another perspective) on that note ... I require responses to my own questions, not others ... if an issue - n/p - I'll ring and speak with someone else.

Cheers.
Dave.

One other thing -

the little extras package with the prop tool in it -

I take it I don't need to use anything in that package except maybe the tool for removing the props?

The little soft landing pads promoted this question as I was wondering are they meant to go over the existing ones. My train of thought here is an example of whilst others say "Derrrrr" - I still ponder the question. hahaha lol.

I think at this rate - I'm looking at a flyaway ... :lol:

I plug the USB cord into a regular cell phone charger and it works just fine at charging the Wifi extender. Yes, the stuff in the spares kit is for use later if you need it. I find I don't even need the wrench to remove the props. We look forward to hearing about your first flight. Take the time to read the manual and watch a few Youtube videos. Go slow and you should do just fine. Just don't go slow with the throttle on take off, that requires a pretty good dose of "go" to get up and off the ground and into a hover.

Davekyn said:
My DJI arrived today.

I was wondering about charging the wi/fi extender.

I never received a wall socket for the usb cable.

Since battery charging is a Big deal with this thing - does it matter what rate I charge the wi/fi extender.

I have a USB 16 amp lithium battery bank that can output up to 2.5 amps!!! -

I have always wondered about the 2.5amp output. Do the devices I hook up to it only draw at the recommended amp or could I be damaging certain devices only meant to be drawing at say 500millamps?

Sorry I am not up with all this - I guess I am wondering if I should charge of my desktop PC - or will it be ok to charge off said lithium battery bank.

Thanks in advance - I best get back to watching the tutorials.

Hope you don't mind I will have more questions as they follow - if I can't find them already (and understand from another perspective) on that note ... I require responses to my own questions, not others ... if an issue - n/p - I'll ring and speak with someone else.

Cheers.
Dave.

Amp is the flow rate. The higher the flow rate, the faster it will charge.
If you want to prolong the battery/cycles, charge at a slower rate, Ie 0.5A but it will take longer. Your PC is 0.5A.
If you are in a rush, charge at a higher amp Ie 2.1A. This will reduce the cycles/battery life.

I go in between and use a regular 1.0A phone charger.

What normally damage electronics is the incorrect voltage, usually excessive voltage.

sweet! - thanks for the quick reply and that added tip!

cheers - Good advice about going slow (I'm feeling quite antsy about now ... with the box and parts spread across the table.) Currently charging the wifi extender off my desktop pc - might check out the software I downloaded on my phone.

Thanks again.

Just caught the tail end reply on charging. I wondered on that and thanks for the confirmation - some devices feel warm charging of my USB battery bank as well - fast charges. It's good for things like pico projectors - I just wish I could control the current when charging. Long life is more important to me - so will let the pc charge that one. I wonder if one can find a replacement battery for the wifi extender. (when it slowly gives in)

I take it that all the charge information between - controller - wifi extender, phone and drone are all accounted for??? that is to say if one is lacking that you get a warning signal so as not to engage in flight with either your phone, controller and or wifi extender going flat during a run???

Sorry for more questions - I will read all about in due time I guess. I have been watching some videos - I'll be flying in GPS mode for sure! and will do so for quite some time before I mess about with the other modes.

Thanks again.

Davekyn said:
sweet! - thanks for the quick reply and that added tip!

cheers - Good advice about going slow (I'm feeling quite antsy about now ... with the box and parts spread across the table.) Currently charging the wifi extender off my desktop pc - might check out the software I downloaded on my phone.

I take it that all the charge information between - controller - wifi extender, phone and drone are all accounted for??? that is to say if one is lacking that you get a warning signal so as not to engage in flight with either your phone, controller and or wifi extender going flat during a run???

Thanks again.

All that information is on your FPV screen.

Also invest in a battery bank. Good to charge your phone or extender in an emergency. It also acts as a perfect stand. I cable-tied mine.

USB%20charger%20and%20Stand.jpg

Not quite ... What information was that again.

I was referring to the charge rates - not receiving a wall plug and does not tell me where to plug it in with regard to the information that I have now received about charge rates relating specifically to the wifi extender.

BUT YES - I will go with "I need to read more". No harm punching away some questions here in the mean time.

I like the idea of taking out my battery bank as you suggest.

I paid about $90.00 on amazon for this one: 16amps - output 5.v @2.5amps (won't charge my asus tablet as its 6V Doh!)

The only thing I do not like is not having a usb slot for lower charging rates. I have actually overheated some devices with it - perhaps this thing should have a quick guide embedded into it - lol -

I just received my new smart phone today with the drone which I thought was quite appropriate. I see the output on the wall charger for it is a wopping 2amps!!! So in that regard the extra .5 will not be so bad for on the go charges.

I got the Galaxy S5 - WOW to 2amps - these things are really becoming like personal desktops ... :) I have not had a mobile for quite some time - I hate them!!! only got it to fly the drone.

Fore sure - I think I will be keeping my battery bank on hand. Best go read up on all those updates - I went with Galaxy as recommender on the dji website (I swore a long time ago never to touch apple products "more to do with propriety cables and software limitations [have seen nothing worth note to yet make me change my mind on that - just my opinion - If I had money to burn then sure - i'd go apple]" - although that was S3 ... I note the many issues with galaxy users having to un tick some setting relating to wifi connectivity (weak and strong signals - will have to re-read that one - something about it interrupting and or not connecting with the dji wifi)

You know - there's probably gong to be a lot of telling me "thats written on your forehead mate" but I'm not the full quid with things like that - I have to learn the hard way - but lets hope fly aways are not a part of that.

Thanks for the tip on battery bank - will keep in in the phantom bag when that arrives.

What do some of you guys carry you drone in??? I just got a cheap bag of ebay - has some straps fo carry it on my back - truth is, I could not afford the $150.00 for the hard case. Definitely on my Christmas list. :)

Dar I ask about the dreaded black ribbon cable

I'm sure I am going to run into more issues - but hopefully fleabay can come to the rescue with affordable parts.

First flight a success ... went through both batteries. Only took em down to 50% - will do for the two flights then will settle for down to 30% after that.

I'm also intending to stick with GPS mode as well - at least for quite some time.

IMO - Definitely needs learning to get used to the orientation between both FPV and visual. I was impressed at how it handled in the wind. The photo compared to my friends I am not so pleased with. I am definitely hoping I can acquire the quality he is able to achieve.

My friends Photo:
Drone shot by L_Plate_Dave, on Flickr

My shot
first drone photo by L_Plate_Dave, on Flickr

To be fair though - they are two completely different shots ... it was later in the day, I was in the shade and the perspective is different was well. It too early for me to be mucking around with the camera just yet. I thought I had a recording, but must of not hit the icon or something. I am supposing I have to (hit an icon) end the recordings to finished them? will sort it all out later.

I read someone else was thinking about taking the Gimbel and camera off whilst learning to fly. I have to say after my first ever flight that whilst remaining in GPS Mode and learning to land "softly" that there is no real need to take off the camera. I think - and I can't quite remember BUT - I think I accidentally turned the drone battery on before taking off the Gimbel and camera cover - If so - I quickly took it off after that, however was watching a video where it was said, you can throw the Gimbel orientation off if powering up with Gimbel stabilizer/holder on - BUT - I worry too much and may not have done so.

I'm thinking of making a check list until I perfect the start up sequences and also my flying. I see now why my friend is so relaxed flying it over water - it really is impressive ... I also see now how those with more money than brains can rush into this setup and either crash or lose the drone.

Anyways - that's my ramble for now ... all that is left to do is to continue practice flying more and then after that play with the camera settings.

I find it amusing that in the first photo my mate is showing me his and in the next I end up showing the neighbor mine. I guess that DJI has that effect. lol

The main difference in those photos is that yours has shadow over much of the foreground and bright sky for 1/3 of the pic while his is looking down at the earth and the whole pic is approximately the same brightness. Your camera is trying adds up the dark and light and tries to come up with an average exposure to deal with everything at once.

Too much contrast between the brightest and darkest parts of the picture will always be a problem because the camera doesn't have as much exposure latitude as the human eye.

I can't wait to try again. I love photography and now having this has opened a whole new level ...

Keep practicing. It gets easier and easier with each flight as your confidence grows and you learn to trust the machine. I bought small red "Remove Before Flight" tags and attached one to the gimbal lock as a reminder to remove it and the lens cover.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers