Another [name removed]

Here's a wider view of the refinery, as viewed by NewsCopter 7. It could be that the pilot was simply trying to get a shot like this one:

111815-wabc-linden-refinery-02-img.jpg

I say 95% chance that is exactly what he wanted. But then he crashed it. So, I'm thinking the "moron" label is correct. :D

It is a matter of good common sense-- but good sense is not very common these days-- :(:(

Reactions: Fire Drone
I do think the pilot should have done the right thing and admitted to it.

Yet I really dislike how the news media themselves have a way of adding a negative spin when they don't approve it.

Who the f*#k thinks using a drone is a 'National Security Interest'?

Jeezuz! Are they going to subpoena the local paper?:
ConocoPhillips' Bayway Refinery in Linden one of a dying breed on East Coast

Better toss this terrorist in jail:
Newark New Jersey Aerial Photo at Night | Have Camera Will Travel // Photos

They'd better investigate ABC news, too:
Safety at refinery called into question

What about the oil industry itself?:
Phillips 66: ‘Everything’s Better with Bakken’

And all it took was a few simple mouse clicks on Google.

Do as we say............... not as we do.

I haven't seen the media story on this yet, but I'm sure it will feature stock footage of a phantom being cleverly flown wobbly as all heck. That stock footage is ridiculous.

Those News copters had Had Mode C transponder on board and were most likely talking to ATC (Air Traffic Control).

The problem is the general public and that includes a lot of reporters equate our small MRs with the Drones the US uses to kill people in the Mid East. This is one of the reasons I don't like to call these small Multi Rotor RC models "Drones".

And you have to be an idiot to fly over a Refinery, Power Plant, Military installation or a Major Port in todays highly charged paranoid circumstances. Have you read the news lately.

Lets not make it worse, be responsible and enjoy this great hobby in smart places. And don't cheer idiots on and jump to defend their stupid actions.

Reactions: bobmyers
Those News copters had Had Mode C transponder on board and were most likely talking to ATC (Air Traffic Control).

The problem is the general public and that includes a lot of reporters equate our small MRs with the Drones the US uses to kill people in the Mid East. This is one of the reasons I don't like to call these small Multi Rotor RC models "Drones".

And you have to be an idiot to fly over a Refinery, Power Plant, Military installation or a Major Port in todays highly charged paranoid circumstances. Have you read the news lately.

Lets not make it worse, be responsible and enjoy this great hobby in smart places. And don't cheer idiots on and jump to defend their stupid actions.

Methinks you missed the point of my post.

I wasn't 'cheering' anyone. I was lamenting the fact that flying a drone is now equated to being a felony simply by default.

Reactions: aka1ceman
Methinks you missed the point of my post.

I wasn't 'cheering' anyone. I was lamenting the fact that flying a drone is now equated to being a felony simply by default.
Actually I teach RC flying as an AMA instructor. And I do a lot of demo flights for groups and schools both traditional RC planes and Helis as well as the new MRs.

Most people introduced to MRs are fascinated and very interested not afraid, when introduced in a controlled environment and love to see the camera views from the MR. A lot of them get involved with the hobby because of this introduction.

But there are a lot of users out there flying these MRs irresponsibly and in dangerous ways, we need to educate them and abide by sensible rules.

If we want to keep this wonderful hobby free of draconian rules we need to fly smart and safe and help educate the public as to what these great toys/tools really are, and how they are very safe if flown responsibly.

Reactions: BigAl07

Being in contact with ATC doesnt somehow make it ok for a news heli to take the same picture of a refinery. For that matter.. Google earth has an amazingly detailed picture of the same place! Its actually fairly UNLIKELY that the heli was in contact with anyone because helis are rarely in controlled airspace.

The only thing in this story that is bad is that an accident happened causing damages that the owner is too pathetic a person to admit to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Volkhard
It's too late as its already way worse than it should be and its only gonna get more worse.
Idiots will always be idiots and there is nothing you or me can do about it, unfortunately.
^^^ This ^^^ ........... those who want to learn the correct way will, and those who don't, wont. All our screaming and yelling won't change that fact. Save the stress, go enjoy your own flying!

It's too late as its already way worse than it should be and its only gonna get more worse.
Idiots will always be idiots and there is nothing you or me can do about it, unfortunately.
^^^ This ^^^ ........... those who want to learn the correct way will, and those who don't, wont. All our screaming and yelling won't change that fact. Save the stress, go enjoy your own flying!
Amen!!!!!

What a joke. A guy crashed his drone! THIS is the most important news the fools could come up with? The proximity to a refinery isnt even relevant! It was probably miles away!

In reality I think Seagulls, Raven and Geese are way more threat to killing innocent people than drones are, assuming the drone pilot isn't a bad guy wanting to do bad things, no different than a gun.
I was at John Wayne airport last week waiting for my flight to take off. What do I see? Literally hundreds of large Raven perched on the top of the terminal. What happens next? They all take off at once right over the end of the runway. These birds live there! Why aren't the airport officials eradicating the birds? You know there's a way to do that. You could even catch an slaughter them for dog food! You could likely eradicate them with high DB sound near these hangout areas, but NOOOOO, never could someone even think about killing birds to save a human. No way Jose. I think I'd feel more safe with a human flying a drone near an airport than hundreds of lame brain birds flying at the end of the runway. However I'm not saying flying a drone near an airport should be allowed either. I'm OK with Phantoms not capable of flying near major airports, but I'm NOT OK with lame brain birds being allowed to hang out at airports by the hundreds. What is it that draws birds to an airport?

In reality I think Seagulls, Raven and Geese are way more threat to killing innocent people than drones are, assuming the drone pilot isn't a bad guy wanting to do bad things, no different than a gun.
I was at John Wayne airport last week waiting for my flight to take off. What do I see? Literally hundreds of large Raven perched on the top of the terminal. What happens next? They all take off at once right over the end of the runway. These birds live there! Why aren't the airport officials eradicating the birds? You know there's a way to do that. You could even catch an slaughter them for dog food! You could likely eradicate them with high DB sound near these hangout areas, but NOOOOO, never could someone even think about killing birds to save a human. No way Jose. I think I'd feel more safe with a human flying a drone near an airport than hundreds of lame brain birds flying at the end of the runway. However I'm not saying flying a drone near an airport should be allowed either. I'm OK with Phantoms not capable of flying near major airports, but I'm NOT OK with lame brain birds being allowed to hang out at airports by the hundreds. What is it that draws birds to an airport?
Most likely, food supply and nesting. I saw show some years back where an airport employed guys shooting bird bombs to keep things clear.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.