Another method to balance the motors with no iPhone

Awesome, think I'll go for this approach when replacing my bearings :)

BadWolf said:
I don't see these automatic center punches being sold in any US stores, only Canada. Anyone have a link to a US supplier?

And as a bonus the center punch will come in handy to remove the stubborn prop off the shaft. It will work even better if you file the end flat.
I will search if there's a tube with 6 mm inside thread anywhere though.

Edit: Found the one below that might work with just the tight fit 6 mm hole.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/K-S-Round-Al...item53f4884a1f

Here is the auto center punch: (you can find almost anything here too :mrgreen: )

http://www.mcmaster.com/#automatic-c...unches/=m8bwj2

It is the second one that says, "aluminum handle with pocket clip".

If the link doesn't show, just click the third one on the left that says, "Automatic Center Punches" and it is the second photo.

how do you balance with an iPhone? is there a link somewhere or a you tube video.

Now THAT is an awesome tip!
Thanks!

i tried with my iPhone using Seismometer, and kinda gave up.
But this technique looks like a truly precise way to balance a motor. (I'll have to pick up some aluminum tape now!)
I suppose there are a number of other cylindrical tubes that might work for this? If anyone finds a place please post the link!

*Also for those doing so, that would be the perfect opportunity to replace your bearings with higher quality bearings.

Somehow, I don't think the threads on a cheap centerpunch are cut to the tolerances required for a procedure of this precision. If they are even a fraction of a degree out of alignment with the tube, you will end up unbalancing your motor rather than balancing it. It might work, but I would try to find a way to check it. Maybe buy two and see if they both give the same answer. Or maybe mark the top of the tube, too, as you go and make sure it isn't always pointing up for all four motors (if it is, then it suggests the tube is out of balance or alignment - not your motors).

TickTock said:
Somehow, I don't think the threads on a cheap centerpunch are cut to the tolerances required for a procedure of this precision. If they are even a fraction of a degree out of alignment with the tube, you will end up unbalancing your motor rather than balancing it. It might work, but I would try to find a way to check it. Maybe buy two and see if they both give the same answer. Or maybe mark the top of the tube, too, as you go and make sure it isn't always pointing up for all four motors (if it is, then it suggests the tube is out of balance or alignment - not your motors).

Perhaps one could balance the tube prior?
But also, because it's threaded, one an slightly unscrew it a qaurter or a half turn and see if the balancing of the motor changes

A member claimed that the handle of the X-Acto #11 hobby knife will fit but I tried to no avail. Apparently it has to be a specific model that sell in Europe with 6 mm inside thread. :(

This method won't get the result as using iPhone app but still better than just removing the motor stickers.

maybe someone can design and 3d and print in shapeways, if only I knew how to make 3d I would have lots to sell.

Gizmo3000 said:
Good news,. as posted on a reply on the youtube video, there's a few places selling identical center punches online, including Amazon. I just ordered one and hopefully it will work. (but sounds like it's the same). worse case I end up with a center punch!#@

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardw ... 487242.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Empire-Level-2720 ... B0015YPHX0

Please let us know if it's the right size.
Anyway, if you file the tip flat, you can use it to remove the stubborn prop from the shaft. ;)

For all the DIY ppl out there, just get a steel tube with a 5mm center hole, and use the m6 tool to create the <whatever the english word is> that enables you to screw on the engine and other m6 screws. :)

Hi ,

I just found the Pocket Auto Punch manufactured under the name "EMPIRE" at Menards in the USA for $7.95. You could also 'google" Empire Pocket Auto Punch and find it on Amazon or elsewhere.

Unfortunately, after taking off one of the motors and doing a balance test as shown on the video, the best balance was "as is".

Eik said:
For all the DIY ppl out there, just get a steel tube with a 5mm center hole, and use the m6 tool to create the <whatever the english word is> that enables you to screw on the engine and other m6 screws. :)

The word is tap but it is not as easy as you think because it has to be perfectly centered otherwise the whole balancing act is no use.
In fact, if you attempted to make one yourself, balance only the shaft that you just make first, if it stays in any position, then it should be fine.

BTW, the tube is best aluminum not steel which is difficult to tap the thread onto.

This is a really good find. I might take it a step further and balance the motor first w/o the prop. Then with the prop installed, balance it a second time. You might be able to do it all in one swell foop.

darkhorse said:
So, I guess you would still need to open up the Phantom and balance one motor/prop at a time, after disconnecting the other motors.

That is correct and you'll get to hear the beep, beep, beep....while you are balancing the motor. ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1