Another-- It doesn't hover like it used to, problem

Reaction score
I'm having almost the same problem as a previous poster.. I've taken about 8 flights, so far, since I got my vision 2 new.. The first 3 or 4 flights, I could climb up to about 50', and the copter would hover, almost perfectly still.. Now, with the last few flights, I notice it goes into about a 10 foot circle, which is very visible on the videos... If I climb to 100 feet, it'll go into almost a 25' circle.. At 6 feet, it hovers within about a 1 foot area-- very stable.. I'e recalibrated the compass, even though my specs were well within range.. All my controls are properly adjusted, and my firmware is up to date.. I tried rotating the props -- (they have no damage).. No change.. I have 9 gps satellites, prior to lift off. Also, if I fly a distance away, and turn the copter, so it's facing straight towards me, it'll slide to the right (as viewed from above), as I fly back.. Also, if I fly a distance in a straight line, then let go of the controls, it'll steer left, then go into the circle. Would appreciate any help..

Also you might want to get to the tools tab and select the Basic/Advanced Cali. Make sure your Phantom if level then in both the X and Y axis then recali.

I recalibrated yesterday, in an attempt to correct the situation.. It's almost getting worse.. 5 minutes ago, I tried lifting off, and even though I had green flashing lights, the copter went into about a 12 foot circle, after lifting off to about 8 feet up.. Even during the landing, the copter kept trying to back towards me, and I had to keep pushing the right toggle ahead.. I read on the other site about possible motor problems.. However, changing the motor didn't correct his problem.. When I shut the motors off, the one on the front left is the last one to quit spinning (by a second or so).. I never bothered checking to see if they're all supposed to stop at the same time.. I took the props off, and tried different settings, but couldn't hear any weird sounds or anything coming from the motors

Something you might think about is how the blades are flimsy with movement. And I would think the more flying done overtime the more flimsy they will get with wear. Whats mentioned here might be part of what you may be experiencing overall? I guess testing with a set of carbon fiber blades would be a tell all in this situation.

Motors not spinning evenly when on even ground might be a sign that the IMU doesn't think it's level. It then tries to correct for level and moves laterally, the GPS then says "woah there" and tries to bring it back, but the IMU wants to "correct" to level. The two of them fighting can produce that circling. You can also get circling when the compass and GPS aren't playing nicely.

I would definitely plug her in and run an Advance IMU Calibration, even if the software says it's not required. As has already been said do it on as level a surface as you can find and away from any vibration whilst it's running. After that take it outside into a wide open space away from anything remotely metallic and do a compass dance.

With those two things done let us know how it flies.

Another thing to look at: is the controller antenna (not the wi-fi extender) pointing at your P2V? The signal coming off of that antenna radiates in a cone, and should be pointing straight up to the sky rather than at your quad.

The wi-fi extender on the other hand needs to be pointing directly at the P2V for maximum range.

Well that didn't work out too good.. I did the advanced imu calibration, then recalibrated the compass.. everything green flashing.. took off, and it was like I had no control.. started heading towards the highway.. had to shut the motors off and crash.. broke 2 props..

Have you changed the props recently? If so... are they DJI props or knock offs?

-slinger

I did the basic and advanced recalibrations.. My compass is well within the coordinates.. I have 10 or 11 gps satellites.. I have green flashing lights.. I lift off to head height.. Instantly the copter start going into wider and wider circles.. I have to control it steady.. It's almost like the gps system has quit working completely.. And both s1 and s2 switches are both in the upwards position.. Any ideas?

After watching your video I really think your compass in not getting calibrated correctly. Don't feel bad though cause I'm guessing that a large percentage of pilot's do not take calibrating the compass very serious. As well as not knowing the correct procedure.

Did you know...... You really should consider recalibrating anytime your compass gets near anything metallic. Even if it's a screwdriver, a set of car key's, nails or screws in a attached deck on the house, the top of your vehicle, ect and so on.

Also try to have some passion with your method of calibrating. Like don't have much expectations if you do a calibration inside your vehicle, house, workshop, basement, or in the middle of a automated car wash. I personally use what we call a lazy susan. Can be referred as a turntable as well. Anyway you can find these with 10 inch diameter pretty anywhere. It also helps to keep the process cleaner with less concern on scratching the ends of the body or breaking blades.

You should also recalibrate the compass if the place you are flying at is different from the last of flying.

Here are my thoughts. I have a house with a steel roof. A big steel roof. Of course when I did my compass dance I was in front of my house. This is a Phantom FC40 (1.1.1). It acted the same way as you. When I pushed it farther away of the house it seemed much better.

Finally it clicked. Do the dance 100 feet away from the house. Much better! However, whenever I try to hover near the house about 8 feet high or so, large circle, and drifts.

One poster also explained he does the compass dance every time, he was getting odd behavior from his everywhere, and he noticed something. Whenever he was doing the compass dance at a new location, he was doing it near his truck. Since then, he does it 50 feet away, flies great.

Something to think about.

Thanks, but it's not the compass calibration.. I've done that to the book.. I've gone into the controls, it's all well within the proper coordinates.. I even compare my readings to a friends, whose copter is working right.. After each flight where I've had problems, I've connected the copter to the pc, and turned on the associate program, and found the x, Y, and Z, and the mod. were well within the limits

Connect to Vision Assistant and enter NAZA mode. Assign your switches for GPS and ATTI and whatever else you like. Exit, Power-off, go fly. Power-Up in GPS mode, go for a test flight: Does it circle? If yes, switch to ATTI mode: Does it stop circling

If yes, I'd say you're compass & GPS aren't playing together well. Have you recently crashed or moved the Compass sensor on Vision's landing gear? If so, this may be contributing to the problem. If not, I'd say possibly a bad compass, possibly a bad GPS.

iDrone

obiwan_pierogi said:
Thanks, but it's not the compass calibration.. I've done that to the book.. I've gone into the controls, it's all well within the proper coordinates.. I even compare my readings to a friends, whose copter is working right.. After each flight where I've had problems, I've connected the copter to the pc, and turned on the associate program, and found the x, Y, and Z, and the mod. were well within the limits

Hi just to make sure that you know what Eric is talking about. The Compass dance is NOT the Compass calibration you do with your computer. I'm sure you know it, but just in case. The Compass dance is the one you do out in the field.

They are DJI props.. But here's the thing.. An earlier poster got me thinking: I've been relying on the compass reading in the associate download diagnostic, and all my readings are good.. But could the compass take into consideration that say, for example, you did calibrate near a to a potential disrupting thing like a metal vehicle.. Would the compass readings then be normal for that situation ('cause that's where you calibrated).. but then when you fly, it now becomes off kilter, because it was calibrated with the metallic interference? I'm just guessing here, as after the few mishaps I've had, with the large circular hovers, I connect my copter to the computer, and it still says the compass readings are all within the proper parameters.. Also.. if I fly in one direction, the copter will steer to the left, rather than in the direction the cameras viewing.. this deviation is about 50 feet, over a 300 foot flight.. ..In other words, when I aimed the camera right at me from 300 feet away, and pushed the right stick dead forward, the copter ended up approx. 50 feet to my right.

In a word, yes. Calibrating the compass (compass dance) will "zero" everything to what local conditions are. Move to different conditions (like across a time zone or two, or into/out of an area with ferromagnetic interference) and the aircraft doesn't know things have changed. Compass thinks north is that way a bit, GPS thinks it's not. Circling ensues whilst they duke it out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20