Another Horizon Tilt Saga - Home Fix or Send for Repair

Reaction score
Any new ideas to fix horizon tilt drift or do I just have to send this in for repair ?
I’ve looked at the threads
– yes its in follow mode
- yes I’ve calibrated the gimbal on a level surface
(actually – horizon typically starts out pretty level to begin flight,
then drifts around (regardless of A/C yaw, or crabbing).
- Yes – also calibrated the IMU
- No - not crashed – almost new P3P ( traded in my P3A – starting to regret this move).

Film clip below – initially horizon not too bad, about 6 seconds in it’s getting awful,
at 11 seconds I adjust the gimbal role in the Go App (feature I just learned about) – then it’s lasts for a second or two and starts to wobble like a drunken sailor.

SO –

1)Anybody found a home fix or to I just have to bite the bullet and send it in for repair?
2) Anybody highly recommend where to send for repair?

As I am thinking how level my P3A was – I am also remembering that it took me a long time to make it level. Gimbal cals – fiddling with the cables – found a couple issues – not sure what really fixed it. Here’s a clip of the P3A before I managed to fix it’s issues. Is this something that has a wear in mode – gets better over time? I obviously just do not want to have to ship my current phantom in for repair.

This summer I noticed a small drift when flying other sea. Usually I have no nice horizon to check.
I went into the settings to adjust the gimbal roll and I found that it was not to zero. Setting back to zero and then all fine.
In fact I set it some times ago when there was some firmware issue with the gimbal horizon. Seems that some firmware update later, the issue was solved but the correction I made at that time remained. I was also at sea at that time.
Can you just adjust the gimbal roll to correct it ? Will it remain stable ?

This summer I noticed a small drift when flying other sea. Usually I have no nice horizon to check.
I went into the settings to adjust the gimbal roll and I found that it was not to zero. Setting back to zero and then all fine.
In fact I set it some times ago when there was some firmware issue with the gimbal horizon. Seems that some firmware update later, the issue was solved but the correction I made at that time remained. I was also at sea at that time.
I adjusted the gimbal role at about the 11 second time frame in the first video. Was level for a few seconds then started drifting again.

I adjusted the gimbal role at about the 11 second time frame in the first video. Was level for a few seconds then started drifting again.
Sorry, didn't notice it. There is also something around 1:00
It looks like a big step at once. In my remembering that adjustment via the app was smooth. Did you used the + / - or directly entered a value?

Flat cable connections fully inserted in the each part of the gimbal ?
Or some screws on gimbal motors shafts ?
Is it free to move when it is powered down ?

On second video it really becomes crazy and then it just come back at the end. It is not only horizon that goes wrong.
Sounds more like a bad electrical connection or a loose mechanical part.

Check the ribbon cable all on its way and see if the connected fully everywhere.

There is a screw like in the bellow picture (red circle), it can happen that it become loose and then the controller of the gimbal can be crazy.
2016-08-06 14.29.12.jpg

You can also try to see at DJI Phantom Accessories & Tips - Phantom Help, Repair section for more info about gimbals issues.

Sorry, didn't notice it. There is also something around 1:00
It looks like a big step at once. In my remembering that adjustment via the app was smooth. Did you used the + / - or directly entered a value?

Flat cable connections fully inserted in the each part of the gimbal ?
Or some screws on gimbal motors shafts ?
Is it free to move when it is powered down ?
I was adjusting with the +/- , not too smooth on mine. Might have input a several steps before it actually processed and changed the gimbal. Cable seem connected well. Gimbal screws are tight. Camera is free to rotate when powered down. Noticed the gimbal plate is hanging a bit hard on the anti-drop pins. Maybe I should take them out and use zip ties? Might reduce jello potential a bit - but not sure it would help horizon drift.

On second video it really becomes crazy and then it just come back at the end. It is not only horizon that goes wrong.
Sounds more like a bad electrical connection or a loose mechanical part.

Check the ribbon cable all on its way and see if the connected fully everywhere.

There is a screw like in the bellow picture (red circle), it can happen that it become loose and then the controller of the gimbal can be crazy.
View attachment 62735

You can also try to see at DJI Phantom Accessories & Tips - Phantom Help, Repair section for more info about gimbals issues.
Thanks for your help. The issue in the second video was fixed - maybe by tightening the grub screw. I did about 5 things a once to try and fix - so I'm not sure which one worked. The current drift issue has me flustered though. I fly 90% of the time over water - tilted horizon becomes very obvious.

Good, that's the magic of fixing, sometimes you don't know why.
If the horizon tilt is fix and don't change, it is not a big issue if it is manually corrected.
Happy fly.

Good, that's the magic of fixing, sometimes you don't know why.
If the horizon tilt is fix and don't change, it is not a big issue if it is manually corrected.
Happy fly.
I should not have posted the second video - was issue I fixed on the P3A - then traded in. Now my issue is with a P3P that I have not been able to fix.

I should not have posted the second video - was issue I fixed on the P3A - then traded in. Now my issue is with a P3P that I have not been able to fix.
Ah, ok, sorry didn't understand it correctly.
What firmware version do you have on your P3P? Some old one?

...................... Noticed the gimbal plate is hanging a bit hard on the anti-drop pins. Maybe I should take them out and use zip ties?

I don't think using zip ties is the solution for what you described. It sounds more to me as though your shock absorbers are stretched out. That's what I would change.......

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note4 using TapaTalk

I don't think using zip ties is the solution for what you described. It sounds more to me as though your shock absorbers are stretched out. That's what I would change.......

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note4 using TapaTalk
Yes, check their integrity. Sorry I probably forget to push "Post Reply" before.
One or two can be cut. This gives more work to the gimbal to keep it leveled and then it can have some step when the motor heat too much.
I had that when the P3 was travelling as checked luggage by airplane. The gimbal box should be parallel to its support plate.

Yes, check their integrity. Sorry I probably forget to push "Post Reply" before.
One or two can be cut. This gives more work to the gimbal to keep it leveled and then it can have some step when the motor heat too much.
I had that when the P3 was travelling as checked luggage by airplane. The gimbal box should be parallel to its support plate.
I have spare shock absorbers - I'll give that a try next.

One mine, one was completely cut and one partially. The gimbal block was really locking tilted.

Tried all the usual remedies - thanks for all the suggestions. Finally had to admit defeat and sent it to Hunch - he indicates my drift problem could be due to bad imu inside the phantom. I'll report out if he is able to fix.
- hate missing the opportunity to fly for the next couple of weeks .

Hi guys I m new on this forum. I have same problem with horizont but also I m noticing that when I fly straight or backwards my phantom adv. Is going also little bit on side. I mean is not flying straight and it's very difficult to do nice shot of properties or thing what I m filming because it's going always off. Can someone help with this pls ? I calibrate imu, gimbal and remote. Sorry English is not my first language. Thanks for all your help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav