Another group is suing the FAA on registration

If you are so sure they will win, then why hasn't the AMA sued them yet? Perhaps they know something that these other small fries do not.

If you are so sure they will win, then why hasn't the AMA sued them yet? Perhaps they know something that these other small fries do not.

Maybe the AMA is more concerned with hanging on to their cash for salaries? I have no idea.
If they are correct, it boggles the mind that noone has.

Reactions: Apilot101
It seems to me MOST people who are AMA members stick to the airfields and fly together. I know a few of them. It's a slightly different shade of hobby with heli's & larger scale craft that need runways, etc. Most of the UAS guidelines would never apply to the vast majority of them since they fly 'to be seen' if you will. Perhaps we need a multi-rotor specific organization to stand up for drone users.

Reactions: The Suburban Hippie
It seems to me MOST people who are AMA members stick to the airfields and fly together. I know a few of them. It's a slightly different shade of hobby with heli's & larger scale craft that need runways, etc. Most of the UAS guidelines would never apply to the vast majority of them. Perhaps we need a multi-rotor specific organization to stand up for drone users.

The second to last sentence is absolutely correct.
These groups fly at locations or in situations which pose nearly no risk to non-participants.

However to think that that 'shade' of the hobby would not have faced similar scrutiny and regulation in the past or now if they fly/flew their aircraft in the places, manner, and numbers that we see the consumer/beginner sUAS operators doing lacks objectivity and seems naive.

I am sorry. I do not mean to be disrespectful, but i think what you said above is a silly point.

If everyone thought like you do, we would have nothing.

We would't have the western united states, we wouldn't even have the united states.

."Why go west, everything is here where we want it." "Why travel to the colonies from England, we are comfortable here"

I am registered, but the rule is illegal.

I don't know why the AMA hasn't sued them, and neither do you. You claim to know it is "because the AMA knows something", but it could just be because the AMA is made up of old people, who no longer have the fight left in them to try a lawsuit...Maybe they are just afraid of a corrupt government..

Who knows beside the AMA? Not you. Not me.

I know I will support people and organizations that press the government to ensure our liberties. Both verbally, and monetarily.

Reactions: JKDSensei
These groups fly at locations or in situations which pose nearly no risk to non-participants.

However to think that that 'shade' of the hobby would not have faced similar scrutiny and regulation in the past or now if they fly/flew their aircraft in the places, manner, and numbers that we see the consumer/beginner sUAS operators doing lacks objectivity and seems naive.

But the fact is they did not...so they should not have faced the same scrutiny....but they did.

It seems to me MOST people who are AMA members stick to the airfields and fly together. I know a few of them. It's a slightly different shade of hobby with heli's & larger scale craft that need runways, etc. Most of the UAS guidelines would never apply to the vast majority of them since they fly 'to be seen' if you will. Perhaps we need a multi-rotor specific organization to stand up for drone users.

I am an AMA member, but I was thinking that the other day. There is the DC Area drone users group on Meetup. I belong to it.

You are getting off topic here. AMA has not much incentive to fight UAS rules that most of their hobbyists don't deal with.

Clearly they have had issues in decades prior hence the formation of the AMA with dedicated fields. BUT, scale planes don't hover, nor do they take quality aerial photo as compared to a drone. You don't see a P-51 scale replica taking off down your street because they simply CAN'T. So, why would AMA fight against a set of guidelines that don't apply to most their members? I wouldn't either...they should probably hang us out to dry even though their craft are covered under this.

Sometimes I wonder if some of the posters on here even like their drones. SMH.

Reactions: JKDSensei
Like it or not, Camera drones are the wave of the future. NOT rc airplanes. The industries for drones are taking off! DJI is a billion dollar company. Drones are here to stay, and it makes sense to organize, and fight for whatever rights we can, before companies like Amazon come in and commercialize the airways to their advantage. Companies like Amazon and others have the federal government bought and payed for.

The only thing us little guys have, is if we step up, and stand up, we might insure the future of the only thing I care to do, which is take pretty pictures and videos to share with people.

If not, we will be stuck doing nothing in the smallest areas the government can confine us to for flying, taking all the functionality out of this.

You are getting off topic here. AMA has not much incentive to fight UAS rules that most of their hobbyists don't deal with.

Clearly they have had issues in decades prior hence the formation of the AMA with dedicated fields. BUT, scale planes don't hover, nor do they take quality aerial photo as compared to a drone. You don't see a P-51 scale replica taking off down your street because they simply CAN'T. So, why would AMA fight against a set of guidelines that don't apply to most their members? I wouldn't either...they should probably hang us out to dry even though their craft are covered under this.

Sometimes I wonder if some of the posters on here even like their drones. SMH.

How long have you been an AMA Member?

In other words: How long have you supported them?

Full disclosure: I'm not currently a member (but was for 2 decades) as I no longer have a need since area [flying] locations are Public with space set aside for model aricraft and boats.

How long have you been an AMA Member?

In other words: How long have you supported them?

Full disclosure: I'm not currently a member (but was for 2 decades) as I no longer have a need since area [flying] locations are Public with space set aside for model aricraft and boats.
I am not but I know several people who are into RC and AMA and a few private pilots too. I thought about joining but am not so sure I want/need to go to fields to fly and the insurance is supplemental to your homeowner's apparently anyway (that was a big selling point for me).

One AMA guy I know admits he doesn't really know much about drones at all. My fear is one day the FAA or states will regulate ALL places we can fly now (over open fields, parks, etc.)

I will need to read this article about FAA registration. Looks like their main beef is the double registration requirement (AMA & FAA).

BTW, just flipping through this mag from AMA I saw about 700-800 (avg of 5 per page) planes, about 10-20 helis and about 5-10 drones. That ought to tell you who their membership consists of.

0611c1b9640b6e3734a2090166ed395f.jpg
8a4a4c67f7c4633b796f82576576e41d.jpg

Last edited:
I am not but I know several people who are into RC and AMA and a few private pilots too. I thought about joining but am not so sure I want/need to go to fields to fly and the insurance is supplemental to your homeowner's apparently anyway (that was a big selling point for me).

One AMA guy I know admits he doesn't really know much about drones at all. My fear is one day the FAA or states will regulate ALL places we can fly now (over open fields, parks, etc.)

I will need to read this article about FAA registration. Looks like their main beef is the double registration requirement (AMA & FAA).

BTW, just flipping through this mag from AMA I saw about 700-800 (avg of 5 per page) planes, about 10-20 helis and about 5-10 drones. That ought to tell you who their membership consists of.

0611c1b9640b6e3734a2090166ed395f.jpg
8a4a4c67f7c4633b796f82576576e41d.jpg

When I get my AMA magazine, it makes me wonder if I should apply for my AARP card.... I am not disrespecting these people, it is just makes me wonder two things.

One,
Is this the group I really belong in? A bunch of over weight, older people, who don't look like they would ever walk anywhere to use a drone to take a picture of something pretty?

Two,
Although I am sure these people had the fight in them in their days to fight for their hobby, I am not sure if these older people are more into comfort these days rather than putting themselves in the uncomfortable position of fighting for the rights of people they really don't understand, or respect.

AMA needs to really make some changes if they want to survive in the future. Younger, more aggressive leadership, and more embracing of camera drones over airplanes and such.

As proof of this, I will talk about brick and mortar hobby shops. I have visted these places quite a bit in the past when I was into nitro airplanes, and race cars. These were places of cliques, statuses and strutting about. It was utter nonsense. What happened? They weren't drawing new customers, so they all started going out of business.

My point is just that things change, and if you aren't willing to adapt and change with them, than your company, organization, etc dissolves.

AMA better start making some real changes. Land is becoming more and more sparse, and less and less people care about airplanes, while more and more people are newly getting into camera drones.

We will need a group to push forth our interests, and will gravitate towards those organizations that meet our needs.

If AMA wants to be that group, they better change NOW, and largely people want them to fight the AMA.

LOL (the AARP thing), I nominate you to be our leader.

I have no doubt these groups will win.

Well... here's the wording of the bill that was signed into law. It's the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012.

"(2) CONTENTS OF PLAN.—The plan required under paragraph (1) shall contain, at a minimum, recommendations or projections on— (A) the rulemaking to be conducted under subsection (b), with specific recommendations on how the rulemaking will— ... and (iii) establish standards and requirements for the operator and pilot of a civil unmanned aircraft system, including standards and requirements for registration and licensing;"

This is the legal basis for the FAA's registration rule.

So I am not banking on these two suits to prevail. Perhaps there's a loophole in the number of days their rules were open for public comment or some other legal angle but I doubt it–the FAA isn't new to rulemaking. I'd bet that this new registration rule was well-vetted through the FAA's legal department before it was ever thrown up on Regulations.gov.

Sagebrush

The IRS is not new to enforcing tax law either. Yet, they WERE targeting specific groups, and the director PLEAD THE 5TH like any common criminal....

For the government, it is all a matter of what you can get a way with.... Not what is right or wrong, or legal or not, but what the public will let go.

Your argument of "...the FAA isn't new to rule making" amounts to the argument of "that is the way it has always been done", which is a poor argument in and of its self.

Not that you aren't well informed, just that just because the faa isn't new to rule making doesn't mean they are right.

I am sorry. I do not mean to be disrespectful, but i think what you said above is a silly point.
I didn't mean to be silly. And, I mean no disrespect either... but, you're constantly posting these silly "let's make a stand" threads. Why not take all of your energy and go make that stand if you know you can win this battle?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20