Another Drone Hampers Brush Fire - Sick and tired of this..

Reaction score
Stupid people like this are going to ruin it for the rest of us. What part of "Fly responsibly" don't they understand..

Here is the story:

Firefighters Wednesday made quick work of a quarter-acre brush fire near the eastbound 134 Freeway in the Eagle Rock area, despite being hampered by the presence of a drone.

The non-injury blaze was reported about 10:25 a.m. in the 7500 block of Figueroa Street, which is just south of the freeway, and was extinguished in 40 minutes, said Brian Humphrey of the Los Angeles Fire Department.

“Though no helicopter water drops proved necessary, the presence of a hobby drone restricted the option of LAFD to use helicopters for fire attack, and limited their abilities for command support,” Humphrey said. “This hobby drone issue is being looked into by LAPD.”

Los Angeles police officers were then sent to the 1500 block of Loleta Avenue to help the fire department find a possible drone.

Late Wednesday morning, the drone was found and the person who turned it over to police was being questioned, said LAPD Officer Aareon Jefferson.

Humphrey urged people to fly drones only in appropriate places.

"You fly - we can't. So because of that drone that was identified by one of our ground resources, all of our air assets were grounded for the duration of this incident," Los Angeles Fire Deputy Chief Phillip Fligiel said.

“It’s a big planet,” Humphrey said. “No drones in fire zones.”

I have ZERO sympathy for anyone pulling a stunt like this. Lock a few UAS operators up, fine them heavily, and take away their ability to register/fly UAS and other "might" learn from it.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
I have ZERO sympathy for anyone pulling a stunt like this. Lock a few UAS operators up, fine them heavily, and take away their ability to register/fly UAS and other "might" learn from it.

I agree. Maybe mandatory jail time would help deter some of this. It won't stop it all though. Some idiots will still try it no matter what. It still makes us look bad, and that's hard to recover from.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: BigAl07
Stupid people like this are going to ruin it for the rest of us. What part of "Fly responsibly" don't they understand..

Here is the story:

Firefighters Wednesday made quick work of a quarter-acre brush fire near the eastbound 134 Freeway in the Eagle Rock area, despite being hampered by the presence of a drone.

The non-injury blaze was reported about 10:25 a.m. in the 7500 block of Figueroa Street, which is just south of the freeway, and was extinguished in 40 minutes, said Brian Humphrey of the Los Angeles Fire Department.

“Though no helicopter water drops proved necessary, the presence of a hobby drone restricted the option of LAFD to use helicopters for fire attack, and limited their abilities for command support,” Humphrey said. “This hobby drone issue is being looked into by LAPD.”

Los Angeles police officers were then sent to the 1500 block of Loleta Avenue to help the fire department find a possible drone.

Late Wednesday morning, the drone was found and the person who turned it over to police was being questioned, said LAPD Officer Aareon Jefferson.

Humphrey urged people to fly drones only in appropriate places.

"You fly - we can't. So because of that drone that was identified by one of our ground resources, all of our air assets were grounded for the duration of this incident," Los Angeles Fire Deputy Chief Phillip Fligiel said.

“It’s a big planet,” Humphrey said. “No drones in fire zones.”
Your first two words explain it all

I can't stand it when I hear stuff like that on the news. This is not going to stop until they throw a drone pilot in jail for couple of years or until somebody gets seriously hurt.

As drivers, what are we supposed to do when an Ambulance / Fire Truck / Emergency vehicles are on the road with lights flashing?. To me this same principle applies when there is an emergency situation such as brush fire.

Drone owner sought for possibly hampering Eagle Rock firefight

Reactions: BigAl07
As drivers, what are we supposed to do when an Ambulance / Fire Truck / Emergency vehicles are on the road with lights flashing?. To me this same principle applies when there is an emergency situation such as brush fire.

Great analogy!

Some idiots will still try it no matter what. It still makes us look bad, and that's hard to recover from.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I hope they catch "some of those idiots" and throw them in jail for a couple of years, maybe they will learn.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Common sense seems to be lacking here!I was flying at a beach fort and noticed the coastguard cordoning off an area close to me, I asked what was happening and he said a lady and dog was stranded on a sand bank and the rescue heli might be called in, I said I'd bring my drone straight in, he said I could keep flying and he would give me the nod to bring it in if it was called. Turned out the rescue was done by the local lifeboat crew, I stayed well back with the drone but still got some footage of the rescue, I now regularly film for the lifeboat crew .

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl