Another Death Drop

Reaction score
Just had a friends Phantom fall from the sky. Flying in the park full battery and out of nowhere it just dropped. Flight beforehand was over water so have truly lost faith in these things. This issue is a huge problem and DJI need to address it if it is their fault. Going to pursue a full replacement and hopefully get a new one. Phantom wrecked and gimbal broken :(

Has anyone had any luck in getting DJI to replace them?

Here is the proof. Fail at 1:25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4lgq2Nj1Z4

Re: Another Death Drop - Battery FAIL

Several things, you were over land, close to trees and close to a human, combined it must have been to much for the quad to cope with, when a boat sinks it better be a sub when these fall out of the sky ...

That was a terrible loss and the cost of a "moment" is unacceptable, its only job is to stay in the air, it's what it was designed to do we don't ask it to do much else. If it doesn't do its job it should be replaced with another that does.

Doono said:
Just wondering.......how come you have to take on DJI and nor your friend?

He doesn't go on these forums so I thought I would post for him and see if anyone else has had any luck with a replacement.

Just trying to get some info together for him to help get a replacement. Has also made me lose a lot of faith in my Phantom, I haven't flown mine since.

gmbn.inc said:
Ouch! Some people have had joy obtaining replacements from dealers & even DJI. However, if you have to send it to DJI expect lengthy delays. They've had my 1st P2V+ for 7 weeks now. It also fell out of the sky after an apparent power failure (Since bought a new one)
Good luck, keep us posted!

Bought it from a seller on eBay so may have to go straight to DJI for a replacement. They can't really deny that it is their fault when we have video proof proving it was not user error. Sucks that it takes so long though. Just so lucky that it didn't hit anyone or go into the water.

Joel_t said:
gmbn.inc said:
Ouch! Some people have had joy obtaining replacements from dealers & even DJI. However, if you have to send it to DJI expect lengthy delays. They've had my 1st P2V+ for 7 weeks now. It also fell out of the sky after an apparent power failure (Since bought a new one)
Good luck, keep us posted!

Bought it from a seller on eBay so may have to go straight to DJI for a replacement. They can't really deny that it is their fault when we have video proof proving it was not user error. Sucks that it takes so long though. Just so lucky that it didn't hit anyone or go into the water.

You would probably have more luck getting a refund from eBay than DJI ?

Perhaps I'm not understanding but you appear to say that the quad's proximity to land, trees and a human was "to (sic) much for the quad to cope with." Can you elaborate? I fly near those things all the time.

steveeds said:
Several things, you were over land, close to trees and close to a human, combined it must have been to much for the quad to cope with, when a boat sinks it better be a sub when these fall out of the sky ...

That was a terrible loss and the cost of a "moment" is unacceptable, its only job is to stay in the air, it's what it was designed to do we don't ask it to do much else. If it doesn't do its job it should be replaced with another that does.

Too bad about your friends quad. I had a similar experience, but noticed three of the props were spinning as it came down. One prop had stopped. After shutting it off I turned it upside down and carefully exercised the frozen prop. Dirt or sand, maybe a bug, ground out of the motor. When the motor was free I was able to continue to fly. When this happened I was flying at about 200 meters. I have no idea how I picked up dirt or anything else at that altitude. The strangest things happen and it does make you nervous about flying.

Couple of things.

I can really empathise with your loss of confidence. However, these things can and do happen and it totally sucks when it does. You say your friend acquired your quad from a seller on ebay. I can't see how you even think DJI have any responsibility towards you other than to offer to repair or replace at a cost. Your argument (if there is one) is with the person whom you purchased the Phantom from. It is for them to argue the points with DJI. It probably sounds harsh but DJI have no obligation or responsibility to you whatsoever. Sure it's their name on the device but you didn't pay them anything for it so why so they give your claim the time of day? They struggle (or rather can't be bothered) to service claims from customers and dealers who purchased directly from them. They will probably suggest you return it and pay for a repair.

I'd pursue the ebay seller as they've possibly sold you something that isn't fit for purpose or has/had a defect. They could argue that you've done something or flown it in such a way as to cause the failure. Unless you've properly documented (and heaven knows what would constitute that) and evidenced all your previous flights to show that you have flown it in such a way to not cause a problem.

It's quite a can of worms. I truly wish you luck in getting it resolved.

Bmews

I have to disagree some. If you bought a newer used car from a person and had a brake failure due to a mfg defect, and had a serious accident, you would go after the car mfg...not the person unless they modified the car somehow creating the failure. Now you know Dji will claim the second hand unit was tampered with. Hell, they won't back up first owner new ones it seems.

This was not a battery failure.

One motor momentarily lost power and caused the Phantom to invert. Been there, done that crash.

You can clearly see the LEDs are lit after the Phantom inverts. The battery did not fail.

Monte55 said:
I have to disagree some. If you bought a newer used car from a person and had a brake failure due to a mfg defect, and had a serious accident, you would go after the car mfg...not the person unless they modified the car somehow creating the failure. Now you know Dji will claim the second hand unit was tampered with. Hell, they won't back up first owner new ones it seems.

interesting analogy. But, you'd have to prove beyond reasonable doubt the manufacturing defect (not sure how you'll do that with the Phantom), actually existed/exists. You've already stated a caveat relating to possible car modification. Brakes fail for more reasons than just manufacturer defects. However, there would be plenty of competent and verifiable authorities who could prove one way or the other the likely cause in relation to motor vehicle defects. That can't be said of quadcopters.

The point i'm making is that (as you've pointed out) DJI are barely able to relate to customers who have paid money directly to them (and thus have a legitimate argument direct with the supplier). To use your own analogy. It would be like me buying a car online and then going direct to the manufacturer when the engine seizes. You honestly think they'd offer to replace my vehicle, once they'd stopped laughing? :D

It's just a personal opinion :D.

I was talking about know failures like recalls and such in cars. I do believe that all rc suppliers of equipment state you are responsible for any mishap and can not be held liable. Can't say that I blame them with all the mods people do without asking the mfg...or the crazy chances guys take. Now, we all know that no matter what we do with our quads...not setting them up properly, taking wild chances, not reading the manuals and understand the birds...that when they have a flyaway or crash, it certainly must be Djis fault

Interesting - if you watch the video frame by frame, the front lights remain on and the front props continue to spin at similar speeds, which does mean that it's not a battery shutdown. Also odd is that after a very slight pitch up, the aircraft pitches nose down, completes one rotation on that axis and then rolls right into a spin. Nose down suggests loss of lift at the front, but the front props do not appear to have a problem. The aircraft was moving forwards at the time however (elevator stick forwards), so if it had inadvertently switched (or been switched) to manual that might have caused such a reaction.

Monte55 said:
I was talking about know failures like recalls and such in cars. I do believe that all rc suppliers of equipment state you are responsible for any mishap and can not be held liable. Can't say that I blame them with all the mods people do without asking the mfg...or the crazy chances guys take. Now, we all know that no matter what we do with our quads...not setting them up properly, taking wild chances, not reading the manuals and understand the birds...that when they have a flyaway or crash, it certainly must be Djis fault

Ahh, not sure DJI will ever advertise anything as a "known" issue/failure. Too many opportunities for litigation in their primary market (US). Nor can any supplier just state that the user is responsible for any mishap. That's a bit of a cop out. If you can prove that the quad is at fault then you at least can make a claim and let the courts make the decision based on evidence.

It's just another reason to know who you buy from. Use a credit card if you can as these all give you an element of protection and recourse should something go wrong. I think regarding the OP. If you've bought from ebay, then go to ebay. They do have quite a comprehensive set of policies for protecting purchasers. Trying to take it back to DJI (in my humble opinion) would just be a waste of time. :D

Bmews

I will have to disagree some again. There are many products in the marketplace that can be dangerous if not used properly and if you screw up...you're screwed. No recourse against mfg. Pencils, steak knives, muratic acid, super glue, screw drivers, paper cuts from licking envelopes and on and on. You buy, you assume all risks. May sound silly but people are stupid and sue happy. Think about the gal that spilled hot coffee on herself. Just for the hell of it, I'm going to run with scissors later.

Monte55 said:
I will have to disagree some again. There are many products in the marketplace that can be dangerous if not used properly and if you screw up...you're screwed. No recourse against mfg. Pencils, steak knives, muratic acid, super glue, screw drivers, paper cuts from licking envelopes and on and on. You buy, you assume all risks. May sound silly but people are stupid and sue happy. Think about the gal that spilled hot coffee on herself. Just for the hell of it, I'm going to run with scissors later.

Actually, I think you'll find we're in agreement. Anything can be dangerous if not used correctly (sometimes even when being used correctly). You made my point for me. In that case, there is and should be no recourse against the manufacturer :) The unusual thing about common sense is that it isn't particularly common. ;)

Bmews

I feel sorry for the lady that got burned...but, there is a reason they put lids on coffee cups. I just watched the video. I'm not sure if there was a max temp coffee was to be at that time legally but after all the hype they did lower it 10 degrees. Wouldn't make much difference imo. Years ago I got a cup of coffee at Dunkin Donuts. They were still using paper cups at the time. It was so **** hot, I could not hold it without napkins. I knew to not remove the lid and let it cool. This was way before this lady's event.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20