Another day, another flight- no crashes! just a red led

Reaction score
After checking the calibration and this time not disturbing the Phanton during start up it seemed more reliable.
I choose a bigger field so I could fly it around with more confidence. Still a few questions. While hovering it tends after a while to fall some what - fairly gradually. So you do need to use the sticks to correct it. I guess given the lightness of the craft that is normal? It was not windy but quite calm.

Also towards the end of the second flight I started to get two red blinks every so often, and them green for a while. This seemed to particulary occur when I moving the craft. Is that the GPS warning? I landed it and on the ground you just got all green blinks. On taking off it again got two red flashes between green ones and them quite soon after constant red flashes. These I took as low voltage warning so I landed the craft soon afterwards. As I still only have the one battery that ended that session. Grrr!
Is it likey the occasion 2 red flashes was a warning of reduced GPS satellites or the start of the low voltage warning? If it was because of the GPS would it on two flashes switch to ATTI mode or stay on GPS? I would assume that it would not safe carrying on in GPS with the 2 flashes. Also why was it ok on the ground and seemed perhaps in flight until I did something with the sticks. Would that put more drain on the battery and it was in fact a voltage warning!

I am still getting my head around all these led flashing codes. And if you miss the start of a change of code you might think it was a different code. And certainly cannot see how you could observe any warning flashes when the craft is some distance away from you! So much to learn!! Still it didn't crash on this occasion with three reasonable flights- so thats good! :)

Sorry for such a lengthy post but I do really want to learn and get MUCH better!

cheers

bill

You will get there in the end Bill. Glad it seems a bit more stable.

To answer your questions - yes my Phantom will sometimes require some element of adjustment when hovering. Wind affects it, down drafts at low alt etc. The Phantom is by no means a 'hands off' craft even in GPS.

The red LED's will be the early stages of Batt warning. You can be hovering along and drawing a certain amount of Voltage out of your batt and then you give it a boot of throttle and suddenly the NAZA says 'crap more power to the engines'.... if that voltage lowers the current voltage below the safety range it will flash red. You then come off the sticks and it goes back to using less voltage which is, at that moment, in the safe range and hence the lights flash green again.

Personally I tend to land shortly after the first signs of Red. Often after i've landed the LED will be happy on Green.

I advise using a timer and setting it for 8mins If you see these Red LED's before 5mins of flight it is likely GPS but should only happen if you are flying low behind trees or buildings. At about 6-8 mins (depending on how agressive you are flying) expect to see the first signs of Red flashes. When it hammers out only red lights you are getting close to an autoland situation so be midful of what is below you!

Cheers DeweyAXD,
Just did another couple of flights which I timed at about 12/15 mins from first putting the battery in till I got constant red LEDs. No GoPro at moment only the mount fitted and the prop guards. Again got the brief red flash near the end usually when going upwards. Tried a bit of ATTI mode to see the effect as on the DJI videos and them kicked in the GPS. I fear I am now 100% addicted!! :lol:

No crashes and quite smooth landings. Must admit that yesterday apart from not doing a IMU calibration (at first) and totally disturbing the craft after powering up. I was flying low in my front garden- not a good idea until I am far better! Still no damaged done.

Do these slightly more powerful batteries (2250 as against 2200) help with the flight time?

cheers

bill

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20