Another Cache Map question

Reaction score
Another question for cached maps. I have a ipad mini with wifi only. While I have a wifi connection, I understand that I go to my dji go app and zoom in to where ever I want to fly in order to cache my map. Do I lose this cached map once I turn off my ipad mini and go to that location, or do I need to leave my ipad on in order for this cached map to be saved?.

Did you try to cache maps?

The best way to learn is to try yourself and learn. This is such a simple thing.

To answer you, yes it will retain cache.

Did you try to cache maps?

The best way to learn is to try yourself and learn. This is such a simple thing.

To answer you, yes it will retain cache.
Once is cached. Will that always be retained or will it be deleted at some point, some don't have iPads or tablets with that much memory? Is there a way to delete the cached maps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cache can be easily cleared by click of a button on DJI GO app.

I did cache the map for the area I wanted to fly. I turned off my ipad and drove to my location, but once I powered everything back on, I did not have any map. It was just a blank screen. I did have tracks though and could have made my way back if I lost sight of my P3A. Not sure if I did something wrong or not. Thanks for the help.

I did cache the map for the area I wanted to fly. I turned off my ipad and drove to my location, but once I powered everything back on, I did not have any map. It was just a blank screen. I did have tracks though and could have made my way back if I lost sight of my P3A. Not sure if I did something wrong or not. Thanks for the help.
The iOS version of the app has an extra setting not in the Android version,
You have to set Cache Maps in Background.

I have Cache Maps In Background checked on my IOS device. I have primarily been flying around my house and always have wifi connection, so I always have a map. I did cache a map on one occasion for the area where I wanted to fly while connected to wifi at home, I left my IOS device on and traveled to that location and flew successfully with my map displayed. I flew today at another location. I did cache the map for that location, but this time, I turned off my IOS device and once I got to that location, I did not have my cached map. What goes? I have been reading posts all night and there are many different replies to this question. Majority of people say the map should be saved once the device is closed or turned off. So, to answer your question Alokbhargava, I did cache my map and I guess it is not a simple thing because this has been asked many times before.

I think this is a new (mis) behavior. Even with Cache Maps in Background, an iPad won't remember the map unless it can talk to the Internet. I've had to load the map at home, leave the iPad on and then fly. Most of the places I fly have no cell phone reception.

I've got to the point where I just don't use the map. I can see where I am and the most important screen - the radar - still works well. I have a feeling that this is part of the GeoFencing - it wants up to date information, but it may be just a bug.

I think this is a new (mis) behavior. Even with Cache Maps in Background, an iPad won't remember the map unless it can talk to the Internet. I've had to load the map at home, leave the iPad on and then fly. Most of the places I fly have no cell phone reception.

I've got to the point where I just don't use the map. I can see where I am and the most important screen - the radar - still works well. I have a feeling that this is part of the GeoFencing - it wants up to date information, but it may be just a bug.
Mine is the same, but fortunately I fly in areas that have cell service I just load up the area on my iPad mini (wifi) using hotspot. That one baffled me for a while, as sometimes maps were there then times when WTH! maps are gone.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

On a Nexus 7, I used to be able to cache maps by simply viewing - either in google maps or by opening DJI Go - on wifi at home.
Now it doesn't seem to retain the map at all, at least if you shut the tablet down.
It may work if you only sleep, not tried that yet.
Previously the maps seemed to pop up with no networking for several days after viewing.

Here there is rarely phone signal at all let alone 3G so the option to download from phone hotspot is unreliable.

Here there is rarely phone signal at all let alone 3G so the option to download from phone hotspot is unreliable.
Hmm, in your case, there is no point even having a tablet with LTE then.

I am glad so far where I have flown have decent phone signal, so I can tether my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 to my iPhone 6's hotspot to get on-the-spot mapping. I'm too lazy to cache the map before the flight :p

That's not at all related to Geofencing.
While it could be simply another example of Hanlon's Razor (never ascribe to malice what can best be explained by incompetence), I find that trope so 20th Century. It's much more satisfying to blame it on something nefarious.

Any idea why they did it?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj