(Another) Best Starting FPV for Phantom v1.1.1 / GoPro 3+?

Reaction score
Situation: I have a Phantom 1.1.1, and I have a GoPro 3+. I'm fine at flying, I've done video and stills (used it to document our roof getting replaced, among other things). My parents will be visiting, and my dad's been getting into RC quads/helis and we're going to go flying one afternoon while they're here. His are the more indoor ones. I thought it would be pretty neat to actually SEE what my Phantom is seeing (or the GoPro, anyway), especially since we have a lot of canyons and some rivers around, so it might be cool to fly up 'em (for 5 min or less).

Research: I've looked into this somewhat, including scanning through a dozen or so threads on this forum, but it seems like there's no "best" or single solution to what I'm looking for. As in, coming at this from a world of photography, if you want to accomplish something, there is a specific lens that you use, that's it, nada más.

So ...: So, what is generally recommended? I've seen two folks link to this at ReadyMadeRC, and a few others mention the company. All I want to see is what the GoPro is seeing ... so I need some sort of viewer, a 5.8 GHz antenna from the GoPro, and a receiver for the viewer ... is it more complicated than that? And I don't really mind something like goggles versus a screen, in fact I think goggles might be preferable since it's not something additional you have to hold, so I don't think that kit would be best.

Budget/Effort: As for budget, I really don't want to spend more than $300 (I wanted to spend less, but I don't think that's possible). I'm also looking for this to be as painless as possible -- plug-'n'-play, if you will. Soldering, etc. ... not a fan, and I would think that a solution that doesn't involve that is out there somewhere.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Re: (Another) Best Starting FPV for Phantom v1.1.1 / GoPro 3

Lol. When I saw your link, suspected it was the kumba cam. I was correct. Although, the kumbacam customer service is pretty good, their product is inferior. You can spend less and get a better set up.
Btw, I own the kumba cam. Never worked to what the videos would lead you to believe, and this was on two different kits. The first one sucked bad. They replaced the entire set up without question and got a new replacement within a week. Unfortunately, it was marginally better.

I still have it, but I now use an immersion 250 vtx and a blackpearl 7 inch monitor and it smokes the kumbacam in build, quality, and display. I also use goggles, so I got my vtx in that setup. However, you can p/u the immersion 250 for about $50, the blackpearl monitor for about $250. Add a battery, but I think that's it, and you're around $310-$315.

Hmm..

Black Pearl FPV Monitor ($200)
AVL58 TRANSMITTER ONLY ($90)
Antenna for Transmitter ($10)
FPV Hub ($12)

That's all you need for basic FPV plug-and-play with no soldering or extra batteries. :lol:

I got my FPV monitor for $180 new-ish used. So it pays off to watch over eBay or classified constantly. I think you could go +/- $300 with this setup.

Errr.. wait. Just realized it's a 1.1.1. I have no idea if the setup would work. :lol:

Can you record while flying with the gopro with this stuff ?

Color me ign'ant, but how would all that work? I assume the monitor (1024 x 600 px) with SPA antenna connector would be hooked up to the receiver (monitor having an internal battery) and then somehow the transmitter is hooked into the GoPro and gets power from somewhere?

(Bold indicates cluelessness. ;) )

Do you guys not like goggles?

Anyone have experience with - AVL58 5.8ghz kit, IOSD mini, 7" Flysight 5.8GHZ Monitor? Sold on Amazon for $579.00. Whats range can you expect? Any input will be appreicated.

astroguy said:
Color me ign'ant, but how would all that work? I assume the monitor (1024 x 600 px) with SPA antenna connector would be hooked up to the receiver (monitor having an internal battery) and then somehow the transmitter is hooked into the GoPro and gets power from somewhere?

I made the mistake of linking a receiver instead of a video transmitter, see a couple posts prior. The Black Pearl monitor has the receiver built in, so need for anything additional there except for antennas for better and farther reception. I linked the cloverleafs, but I use these
http://www.getfpv.com/fpv/antennas/ibcr ... a-set.html

The video transmitter can be wired to have it's own power source, but it's heavier and not as clean of a set up. I prefer to run everything off of the Phantom's battery. I soldered up a harness and its' a pretty easy job or you can also use this...
http://www.firstpersonview.com/cables/p ... ransmitter
They're across the Atlantic, but I got my stuff pretty quick and I'm in California.

This video below is great tutorial on wiring it up. It's literally plug and play, so don't be intimidated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL8pqtEDuos

With the IOSD hooked up, you'll have valuable telemetry that will help you guide your Phantom. I was once telling a friend I didn't think it was necessary, but I was absolutely wrong. It provides valuable data. Anyway, the data is embed over your Go Pro footage as you are viewing it, but will not record over your video (you can with a seperate DVR, but that's another discussion...)

As for goggles, I totally prefer it over my monitor. I have the Fatshark Attitude V2.0. It takes some getting used to, but I think if you can fly totally immersed, you will be able to pilot better than through a monitor. There will be some attrition unless you practice in an open field. Perspective is a lot different. Things are closer than what they appear, so keep that in mind. Contrary to what I've just mentioned, I actually practice flying FPV in this park with a bunch of tight trees. I go zipping through (ok, maybe not that fast). I do it to make me a better pilot. Like I said, attrition. I've destroyed a P2, a H3-3D (the original version w/o the ribbon), and a H3-2D, but I got better. I rebuilt my P2 better than ever. The gimbals are waiting for RMAs to be sent back for repair, and I have the new H3-3D on my re-built P2. After the re-build, I took it back out through the trees and flew even better than before. I've since grounded myself - trying not push my luck for now.

Thanks, but those links won't work. I have the Phantom 1(.1.1), not 2, so many of those cables referred to don't exist (and I'd need the 5.8GHz stuff instead of 2.4 so there's no interference).

astroguy said:
Thanks, but those links won't work. I have the Phantom 1(.1.1), not 2, so many of those cables referred to don't exist (and I'd need the 5.8GHz stuff instead of 2.4 so there's no interference).

and you cant put the iosd mini on it without a pmu v2 and some soldering.

I hate being a *bumper*, but could someone possibly answer the cluelessness with respect to the version 1 Phantom, not version 2? I appreciate Diesel31's response, but I don't think it applies to my case. Parents come next Friday, so hoping to have this ordered and shipped no later than COB tomorrow.

astroguy said:

I have seen a usb that connects to the gopro and has a/v cables . Would that work ?

Okay, I've been looking more into this, basically at what's included with kits that are sold. On the receiving end, I need a monitor of some sort, either with a receiver built-in or separate, with a built-in battery or separate. On the transmitting end, I need a way to hook the GoPro into the transmitter, and a way to power the transmitter -- either from the Phantom battery or from a separate power source (the former seems preferable, the latter may be slightly easier). Seems simple enough, and we've already said as much.

And there are kits. For example, KumbaCam has a kit that'll do it. Their monitor has a built-in battery and receiver, and their transmitter is powered by an external battery. HeliPal also has a kit, but it has no way to connect to power, so I think you need this additional cable, but I don't know how it actually gets you power (can the balance plug actually carry power? I have no idea on these things).

With those things in mind, I guess that gets to my remaining questions:

1. Is it really worth it for those of us who don't know what we're doing to buy all the parts separately? Or get a kit?

2. If I were to go with HeliPal's kit, what battery would I need, and/or how do I bleed off power from the Phantom's battery?

3. If I were to go with KumbaCam's kit, does it really have everything I need, and is it worth the upgrades (i.e., cloverleaf for $50, sunshade for $20, 400mW Tx (from 200mW) for $50)?

Any other questions I should be asking? Did I screw somethin gup?

I've e-mailed three online stores -- GetFPV, HeliPal, and RangeVideo to see what they recommend in terms of all the connectors. Only HeliPal e-mailed back, but they're in Hong Kong and there's no way I'll get stuff shipped by next Friday. Hoping for either of the two Florida stores, but I e-mailed them on Thursday and haven't heard back. :(

Cool post links and pix . I want to fpv so bad

Updates ? I am considering the kumba cam kit on Amazon but 350 seems steep . If I buy it I plan on getting clover leaf antennas

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31