Another bent gimbal thread/question

Reaction score
I have just read a dozen bent gimbal threads but none seem to address my question really. I had my first crash yesterday where I clipped a tiny branch while flying straight ahead. I was only about 50' away and killed the props as it was falling...about 15'. I picked it up and immediately noticed the camera was tilted. I didn't think much of it as it did take a fall. I was eager to fly again to make sure everything was ok so I could forgive myself. I went back up and recorded some crooked footage. Aside from the tilt the video seemed fine and the gimbal performed normally in every way I can think of looking back on it. As soon as I returned home I made myself the most level surface imaginable and calibrated the gimbal. When done, it looked good, nice and level. I turned it on, picked it up and mimicked some flying angles and again, everything looks fine. It wasn't until 10 minutes later from across the room I noticed the main "L" is bent to the left. Now what makes this different from all the other threads I've seen is that I think it's ok. Has anyone else bent their gimbal and successfully had the P3 compensate for a full recovery after calibration. It's going to drive me crazy I bet that I bent it but do you guys think I should try to bend it back or will that only make it weaker?

Attachments

• IMG_20160118_232741.jpg
    IMG_20160118_232741.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 465
Last edited:
A member named hunch is the #1 gimbal guru bar none. He is who you really want answering any questions you may have.

We could be twins. My first and only crash was identical to your event. The only difference is my bent part is the roll arm vs your yaw arm (as described by you). I too was upset and ready to pay the price for a DJI repair and or buy the parts and fix it myself. That being said, my equipment is working 100% with no video flaws. To date I have concluded that it's not that bad and aside from a tight fitting gimbal clamp, I can live with it. My advise is, let it be. If it works, like mine, why bother spending the coin for what could easily happen again. If you can't live with it, you can buy the parts on line. Some are 3D prints while others are aluminum or like. I have not been able to find a supplier of original parts. Good luck and please let me know if you find better advise.

Stupid trees!

So I shot some video today of my garage door which has level horizontal lines on it. At quick glance I think the gimbal is still off a degree or two. I might try a few more things.

You can make some adjustment in the DJI app for that. Look at "adjust Gimbal Roll". It should tilt in either direction depending on you need to make corrections.
Good luck

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

So I shot some video today of my garage door which has level horizontal lines on it. At quick glance I think the gimbal is still off a degree or two. I might try a few more things.
T-bock on the forum here made me a printed arm. Took 20 min. To change, works great,looks cool & will prob survive a crash better than the cheap a** potted metal DJI uses

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pitchpost