Another Antenna Question..

vgt

Reaction score
This is my current setup:

2x Fatshark, and 1 of these.

8BB87F18-4FFC-403F-9EB9-20FE9EC28FDB.jpg

The maximum range that I'm getting out of these is about 300m. I'd really like to be in the 5-700 range, I have no desire to be out multiple kilometers like some of you folk, but just good reliable reception out a few hundred more. Of note, I'm only getting that 300m range when I have the corkscrew guy pointed directly at the bird - to be honest, I expected more than that just with the fatsharks.

Immersion 600mW Tx
Boscam Diversity receiver.

What do I need to swap out to get increased usable range, without breaking the bank?

I would swap that cork screw guy style antenna for something else, not one i have ever seen to be honest. If your after a cheaper directional antenna then maybe try something like the IBcrazy 5 turn helical antenna, i have heard a few good things about them. I would personally go for the FPVLR 4 1/4 turn helix, you wont get much better than that to be honest and you might end up wasting a bit of money here and there trying out different cheaper antennas.

Just been thinking, and 300mtrs is really not a lot. I know nothing about the boscam monitor but suspect someone on here will and make sure you have that set up correct with the immersion transmitter, as like you say 300mtrs is very poor. I would still swap that directional antenna you have tho.

Cant tell how many turns that helix is, but it isnt going to be getting used unless you are pointing it at the quad. Are you sure that is happening. I use a 4.5 turn helix and that still needs to point in the general direction of the TX, but it would be more forgiving that the one in the picture.

300m could just be what you are getting from your spironets alone, and the diversity is not switching to the helix because it is not well enough positioned to get a stronger signal that the spironets.

Also relevant is how the vTX spironet is positioned and how much visibility it has.

Cant tell how many turns that helix is, but it isnt going to be getting used unless you are pointing it at the quad. Are you sure that is happening. I use a 4.5 turn helix and that still needs to point in the general direction of the TX, but it would be more forgiving that the one in the picture.

300m could just be what you are getting from your spironets alone, and the diversity is not switching to the helix because it is not well enough positioned to get a stronger signal that the spironets.

Also relevant is how the vTX spironet is positioned and how much visibility it has.

The Antenna on the P2 is pointed straight down, below the landing gear. Should not be obstructed regardless of orientation.

I think you have an 8 turn ultra cheap left hand polarised antenna off ebay. As others have indicated, you wasted your modest investment. A decent quality 5 turn will give you what you want, right hand polarised to match the fatshark TX cloverleaf.

I think you have an 8 turn ultra cheap left hand polarised antenna off ebay. As others have indicated, you wasted your modest investment. A decent quality 5 turn will give you what you want, right hand polarised to match the fatshark TX cloverleaf.

Ahh. That makes sense.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.