Angling antenna/wifibooster for distance

Reaction score
Good morning all.

This post is about the best way to angle your wifi booster/antennas to get long distance.

I have had issues with getting the distance that I see you all talk about on the forum. I have a stock setup accept for FPVLR stage 2 receiver side.

Today I had my longest flight, 3100 feet. I noticed that when I got to 2500 feet the FPV starting getting grainy. I adjusted my wi fi booster with the antennas on top and was able to get it to go another 600 feet, and I still didnt lose FPV.

Is it possible that the angle of the booster makes that much difference? the more I mess around with it, I think I am finding the sweet spot of the radio signal.

Is this something you all have experienced? Could you guys give me some tips that you have learned for distance regarding angling the wiffi booster/antenna?

Thanks

The flat top surface should face the quad. There is some other things you can do. I wont share them in case you want to figure them out on your own. I know exactly where you are at with the distance game. I have been there myself and it is a awesome rush when you are near the limit, and when you break your own personal best. But if you know the secrets, the fun wont last as long. So that's why I say I wont share..... Good luck and have fun!

Well, I would like to be able to go a mile personally. I was told that my setup could sometimes reach 7000 feet. stage 2 FPVLR

FlyNFrank, thanks for the response. Please do share the tips secrets, when you say last as long, do you mean that I will lose my copter?

Getting me a little nervous now.... How far do you think is safe with my setup? I have only had my phantom vision plus for 2 weeks

Parrottvision said:
Well, I would like to be able to go a mile personally. I was told that my setup could sometimes reach 7000 feet. stage 2 FPVLR

FlyNFrank, thanks for the response. Please do share the tips secrets, when you say last as long, do you mean that I will lose my copter?

Getting me a little nervous now.... How far do you think is safe with my setup? I have only had my phantom vision plus for 2 weeks
With my Stage 2 setup I was able to reach 8,000 feet. But, I had to have the right side of quad facing me to hit the camera antenna on that side to keep FPV.
Have gone more since adding the other antennas on quad.
Since you have only had yours for a short time, I would suggest just flying around without going too far away and have fun and learn everything your quad can do.
If you are still in Phantom mode this is another reason to stay close and not go to far away. After you switch to Naza mode and have home lock then venture away from you.
Remember: NEVER fly your quad without a tracker installed.

The best I got was 4900 feet with stock straight out of box P2V+ w/o any hardware or software booster. I did have to fly side way to get that last few hundred feet.

What altitude do you fly out to get that distance?? I havnt gone over 500 feet... should i fly a little higher?

Pylar, how long have you had your unit? dude I promise you have nothing to worry about. you are more then safe at 2000 feet or less

Happyflyer said:
Remember: NEVER fly your quad without a tracker installed.

That is probably some of the best advice someone could give, right there. I use to finish all my post with the same advice, but you find out quick that pretty much don't want to listen to you until after they took things for granted and lost their quads one way or another. It took me losing 2 quads before I learned a lesson. And I lost those quads doing the same thing you are doing now. Only difference is, our quads are way better now then they what they use to be. Btw, I'm wide open to help you out. You can start by setting your limit feature.

Only have 10 sorties. Lost it yesterday for the first time. Scary. And flew it up and lost sight of it. I've got a ways to go to get above 200!

that is great advice Frank... but I am doing alot of flying over water. I live in West Palm Beach Florida... I just crossed the intercoastal today ... So if it goes down its most likely gone forever in the water....

I see that you live in INdiana, I used to live in Carmel Indiana outside of Indianapolis.. Good people from that area!

I did another flight and got to 3400 feet.... still nowhere near what Tony at FPVLR says I should be at. I lost FPV connection. However I didnt try flying sideways yet. I flew at about 600 feet altitude.

I really wanna get this sucker to 1 mile... any other suggestions?

Thanks

The FAA does not allow flights over 400 feet above ground level.

why only 400 feet?
Their is a safety margin from 400-500 ft as small manned craft can fly from 500 to1200 ft. You don't want to be crashing youf quad into someone's face in a para sail plane or through the cockpit windshield of a small pane or a helicopter flying at 500 ft.. Set your maximum altitude to 400 ft and enjoy. Be safe my friend!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31