Angle of View for Collision Avoidance

Reaction score
Let's say I want to fly just barely over the top of something with my P4.

As I approach it, I misjudge the clearance and my landing gear is about to hit the top of the object—will the collision avoidance engage and stop the aircraft?

In other words, does the field of view or angle of view of the visual sensors see down toward the landing gear?

Let's say I want to fly just barely over the top of something with my P4.

As I approach it, I misjudge the clearance and my landing gear is about to hit the top of the object—will the collision avoidance engage and stop the aircraft?

In other words, does the field of view or angle of view of the visual sensors see down toward the landing gear?

yes, it should in most cases unless its too small to be detected by OA

Reactions: SoCalDude
I'm sure the specs are out there but it's about 30 degrees in each direction. In my experience that equates to about 12" below the landing gear. Not much.... but enough.

Try it out with something where you have visual observation of the P4....maybe a fence or a flat topped building. Fly over it, and keep reducing height until the sensors kick in.

(I don't know if the sensors are the same as the P4Pro, but the spec for those is 60 deg. horizontal and 54 deg. vertical).

Last edited:
The camera on P4 makes the object you are flying over look a lot closer than it really is. So you probably do not need to get as close as you might think to get a great flyover clip. That said I seem to always activate the OA sensors when I felt I was plenty far away.. Another trick is go slooww...take time and watch the sensors respond on screen with distance updates and adjust up accordingly as you go over and then speed up the footage in Post. Good Luck.. it takes practice for sure to get great at it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using PhantomPilots mobile app

The camera on P4 makes the object you are flying over look a lot closer than it really is. So you probably do not need to get as close as you might think to get a great flyover clip. That said I seem to always activate the OA sensors when I felt I was plenty far away.. Another trick is go slooww...take time and watch the sensors respond on screen with distance updates and adjust up accordingly as you go over and then speed up the footage in Post. Good Luck.. it takes practice for sure to get great at it.
Thanks for the tips!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan