And for that reason, I'm out.

Reaction score
So I joined this forum because I was considering buying a DJI since it's one of the major players. Once I started reading about the issues owners were having with the new updates and DJI making the decision where you will and more importantly, NOT fly your drone I'm going to have to rethink my purchase. As a commercial pilot, I know where I can and cannot fly. I don't need the manufacturer to force me into my decisions.

Interesting read:

DJI to offer data privacy option - AOPA

Whilst the NFZs can be a pain, they are there for a reason. The majority of forum members fly responsibly, but sadly, there are a lot of people who don't. The NFZs, whilst not perfect, at least go some way to stopping idiots doing things with their Phantoms which result in politicians and press making knee-jerk blanket rules that make flying more difficult.

Reactions: DocDiggler
So I joined this forum because I was considering buying a DJI since it's one of the major players. Once I started reading about the issues owners were having with the new updates and DJI making the decision where you will and more importantly, NOT fly your drone I'm going to have to rethink my purchase. As a commercial pilot, I know where I can and cannot fly. I don't need the manufacturer to force me into my decisions.

Interesting read:

In which country are you located? DJI doesn't regulate anything.

So I joined this forum because I was considering buying a DJI since it's one of the major players. Once I started reading about the issues owners were having with the new updates and DJI making the decision where you will and more importantly, NOT fly your drone I'm going to have to rethink my purchase. As a commercial pilot, I know where I can and cannot fly. I don't need the manufacturer to force me into my decisions./QUOTE]
All these "issues" are hugely overstated.
Most users have no issues at all.
DJI is not "one of the major players", they are the major player.
AS a commercial pilot, I'd be most concerned about the quality of the drone and its camera and I'm not aware of any competing equipment that comes even close.

Interesting read:

Being that you're a commercial pilot, I'd think you would be grateful the NFZ laws are in place. I've owned both of my P3's for over a year now, and have never had any issues with NFZ's.

Reactions: N017RW
@Goldsaum82, and all who shared,

It was actually on this forum that I learned of professionals using their dji for commercial work who followed the proper channels, got their waivers, but when arriving on their job site, the drone update would not allow them to fly into the area and therefore puts them at risk of losing a client.

As a commercial HAA pilot, no, these restrictions do not necessarily protect my aircraft since the majority of flights are to pick up people outside controlled airspace. A nice, open LZ on a farm for a tractor accident doesn't currently provide any protection at all from a uav. In fact, with agricultural drones booming, it could be even more hazardous.

I'm not trying to fire anyone up or offend, I am merely educating myself on the future of the industry. In fact, I will be attending a conference in Las Vegas, NV for that purpose. I appreciate everyone's honesty and maybe I'll even change my mind on the purchase.

The future of uavs and their regulatory status are really still up in the air. (^^^This is why I'm not a professional stand up comedian)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen