Analyzing crash

Reaction score
I just had my first crash with a Phantom 2. While flying over a field the Phantom made a sudden move and headed down at an angle towards the ground. We found it in said field still powered on and attempting to dig itself a nice hole. The damage:

• 3 broken props
    Bent gimble
    vTX hanging off
    Minor crack in frame near motor
    Lots of dirt

2:25 I was nearing my limit for FPV, started backing up
2:50 everything was normal and I was returning back to my starting position
2:58 motor noise changes
3:04 sideways dive into the ground begins

I opened it all up and cleaned it up. The rear left motor makes a beeping noise and it tries to spin, but is stuck.

I watched some videos of motor failures and didn't see this behavior. So far I've ordered another motor and ESC and will try replacing the motor first.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Here's the video:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kuP4MWo9sg[/youtube]

Beep sounds like an ESC just before it pops into a puff of smoke.

It may just be the way the camera picked it up, but it looked to me that the right motor slowed down and then the crash.
This is an example of a needed update that tells the quad when on the ground and upside down to turn off motors.
Also for all of us to think about if/when a crash happens to remember to send a "motors off" command to the quad.

Happyflyer said:
Also for all of us to think about if/when a crash happens to remember to send a "motors off" command to the quad.

I tend to disagree with that. Sometimes the noise help to find the quad.I crashed once in high trees, I couldn't see it but I could hear it. Then I stopped the engines... and spent 1 hour (with 2 other peolple) locating it :( , plus another one recovering it. :evil:

Happyflyer said:
It is the first thing I do I don't want any more damage .
At the end of his vid you can see all that dirt flying around now how much of that went into the motors . Very posable to burn parts up/overheat the way it was trying to fly agin .
I agree with ya :)

I lost video signal before it went down, so I wasn't sure what the circumstances were. After a few minutes I went into FS and waited a few more minutes. After a few minutes we set out to recover it. Didn't want to kill it in mid air, but the damage was already done.

fish said:
I lost video signal before it went down, so I wasn't sure what the circumstances were. After a few minutes I went into FS and waited a few more minutes. After a few minutes we set out to recover it. Didn't want to kill it in mid air, but the damage was already done.
Well that makes a difference when you did not see it go down. Shut down when in air not good idea. ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj