An antenna ???

Reaction score
I noticed in the specs of a company that sells boosted antennas that one is 10 dbi the other at 14 dbi I looked in the specs of the P4P but didn't see what the stock antenna is, I'm not a scientist like some of you folks :) but I'm assuming thats the power of the signal its emitting ..

dbi-visual-png.77378

Reactions: lickitysplit11111
The previous info was given to me some time ago when inquiring of Phantom 2 vision + TX stock antennae, I never did find the stock specs.
Higher # distance & lower # wider coverage

Last edited:
When considering antenna changes it's important to understand the chart above. You cannot get something for nothing and a higher gain antenna achieves that gain by concentrating the signal into a narrower radiation pattern. This may result in more signal where you want it... or less... depending on circumstances.

Yep, that's what I thought too, ya either have distance or wider coverage, but not both..

Omni's are usually around 2.2db gain, you add that to the transmitter output for total power. But as mentioned above that doesn't mean you have the same power all around. An Omni has a pattern like a donut with almost no power where the antenna end points, it is instead all around the sides of the antenna. One aspect of this is if you have the antenna vertical you have little power if the drone is directly above you. Things like the windsurfers focus the power in a particular direction but you need to keep them pointed at the craft. The higher the antenna gain, the more narrowly focused the beam will be. 3db increase is twice the power, 6db four times, the scale is not linear.

Reactions: lickitysplit11111
Omni's are usually around 2.2db gain, you add that to the transmitter output for total power. But as mentioned above that doesn't mean you have the same power all around. An Omni has a pattern like a donut with almost no power where the antenna end points, it is instead all around the sides of the antenna. One aspect of this is if you have the antenna vertical you have little power if the drone is directly above you. Things like the windsurfers focus the power in a particular direction but you need to keep them pointed at the craft. The higher the antenna gain, the more narrowly focused the beam will be. 3db increase is twice the power, 6db four times, the scale is not linear.
Wow thank you for your very detailed explanation, now it makes sense

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl