Amsterdam, University campus

Yeah... sure... I understand it is hugely tempting to shoot such footage.

However...

What if a prop breaks or a motor fails and it falls from the sky on the head of one of the cyclists or pedestrians in the Wibautstraat or the Mauritskade below bashing his/her head in? Or it falls on the windscreen of a car and the driver loses control and hits a bunch of cyclists/pedestrians killing them or just hits another car? We'll all be f*cked and these multicopters will be banned before you can say "irresponsible".

It's a flying machine! Aviation is HUGELY regulated for a very good reason. It has potentially great risks if people don't behave in a VERY responsible way. All rules and regulations and procedures and checks in aviation are there to prevent accidents and deaths.

As I have flown hang gliders and gliders in the past I'm acutely aware of many safety aspects that come with flying. Even though I won't be in a situation where I can fall to my death flying the Phantom I still approach it with much of the same attitude as I did flying myself. I have known three people who died in flying accidents. Two from hang gliding and one from gliding. The last one was even an instructor.

I have formulated it for myself as follows:

Flying is a NON FORGIVING activity! If you make a mistake and you live to tell it YOU HAVE BEEN VERY LUCKY!!!

THAT's why there are trainings and exams and checks and double checks and procedures and rules and more rules and whatnot. All intended to keep matters safe.... and still things go (horribly) wrong from time to time. That's why I often went home not having flown my hang glider when I found the wind conditions too dangerous after arriving at the site. Others did fly but I didn't. That's why I am still alive. It's a matter of attitude. Take flying very serious! Don't underestimate the risks and don't overestimate your skills.

RC model flying is in many ways an equally unforgiving activity as real flying! If you make a mistake or equipment simply fails (a Phantom is NOT made to civil aviation standards) and no damage to things or harm to people or animals occurs as a result YOU HAVE BEEN VERY LUCKY!!!

So please... behave more responsibly. Don't just fly anywhere you fancy. Especially not at such great height. Do not underestimate the considerable and potentially deadly kinetic energy of a falling Phantom with a weight of around a kilogram.

The first thing that went through my mind as I watched your video was this is high risk. I certainly don't trust my Phantom to fly it above people. Anyway that aside your video started well but I thought my computer had broken with the abrupt way it finished.

Big Ben said:
As I have flown hang gliders
What did you fly?... Let me guess... an Airwave magic?
Me... a Firebird sierra and later a Firebird laser.
Did a lot of flying in Scotland, Austria and France!

First a Dutch made 'Shadow' and later a (large) 'Storm' made by Solar Wings in the UK. I have flown along the dunes in the Netherlands and a few times in Wales near Abergavenny where I jumped off the Blorenge (cliff launch :shock: ) and flew over Abergavenny (just made it to the landing area on the other side of a small river :p ). Rhossili was a bit of a drive but offered excellent ridge soaring. That was nice. Also have flown in Austria. Because of 'lack' of nearby hills and mountains eventually I switched to gliders. Gliding is much less dependent on geography and weather conditions, at least... where I live.

I remember soaring the Dutch dunes (I'm like you Dutch too).
Did also some winching (lier). Even behind trike. Never liked it..

Gliding is nice, but I can not handle the need to be a member of a club part.

Although I'm Dutch, I lived in the UK (Scotland) for most of the time.

Anyway.. We are way off topic here :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik