Amazon looking to use drones for delivery option.

Reaction score
Maybe not directly Phantom related, but important for implications to the industry. I missed the "60 Minutes" episode this aired on, but saw this link posted shortly afterwards.
Basically, Amazon is investigating the possibility of using drones as a delivery vehicle for small, as in less than 5 lbs., items purchased in as little as 30 minutes after purchase in certain areas. I had seen where someone, maybe Paypal, was using bicycle couriers for something similar, but this really ups the ante, so to speak.
This could be somewhat of a boon to our hobby with a company like Amazon and their clout championing the use of drones.
I just hope nobody gets their hopes up that they are getting a present if they see my Phantom flying around!

This story has been on the news, especially CBS who broke the story, all day. Charlie Rose, who did the story for "60 Minutes", this morning said it was a complete shock to himself and his crew when the plan was unveiled to them. Love how they seem to be using whatever flying metaphors they can every chance, such as how well this idea "will fly". :lol:

The whole thing is nothing but a holiday time publicity stunt. That pipe-dream will NEVER be implemented due to safety concerns. After all...what household doesn't have kids or a dog where highly dangerous spinning props would be forbidden? And what about apartment dwellers? Bad neighborhoods? I could go on and on. The whole notion is ridiculous - preposterous, even. Beyond impractical.

PF

PhantomFan said:
The whole thing is nothing but a holiday time publicity stunt. That pipe-dream will NEVER be implemented due to safety concerns. After all...what household doesn't have kids or a dog where highly dangerous spinning props would be forbidden? And what about apartment dwellers? Bad neighborhoods? I could go on and on. The whole notion is ridiculous - preposterous, even. Beyond impractical.

PF
It's possible the announcement is publicity related, but Amazon is known for innovation in online retailing, and has started branching out into other areas such as original video content. I'm sure there are a ton of logistical issues, and it may not be feasible in certain areas and situations.
Saw this posted elsewhere. Already taking jabs at the idea.
1OVaAQ0.jpg

LOL! Well deserved derision.

PF

Man the punch like got chopped off the cartoon. :cry:

This has to be a publicity grab otherwise the guy that came up with the idea will get fired. LOL

Could list pages of reasons why this is a hair brained scheme at this time. Hell, why not fire the five pound item out of a cannon. it would get there quicker and more reliably. Plus the cannon would likely have more range.

Or how about this ... flying monkeys. That witch don't need 'em anymore.

Amazon just got too much money, that's all.

How much load could them flying pigs pick up?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj