AMA membership

If you haven't already done so, check out the AMA Insurance Summary. Their insurance likely won't be of any benefit to the average Phantom owner.

There are other advantages to joining the AMA, such as you won't be able to join most model aircraft clubs with out an AMA membership. Not a problem for those with access to wide open countryside for flying. But for those who live in congested metropolitan areas with towns, counties and parks banning the flying of drones, joining a club may be one of the few outlets in a region where you can actually fly legally. Also, the FAA just came out with a ruling that AMA members are not required to adhere to the 400 ft altitude restriction if they follow all AMA guidelines.

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/amagov/files/2016/07/FAA-400feet.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr2lando
I've been an AMA member for "several" years now and am a firm believer in the benefits of membership. For a mere $75/year it's a great investment.

BigAl07, what can you tell us about the liability insurance? Is this is good buy if someone intends only to buy the membership for the insurance?

msinger I've not personally spent the time to research it lately but . . . It used to ONLY apply at your dedicated flying fields but then they offered "Park Flyer" designation (before quads were on the board). This would cover flying just about anywhere so long as you were flying within AMA guidelines. I don't imagine it would have gone backwards with the recent EXPLOSION of MultiRotors to the market.

I know that many moons ago (20 years or more) we had a legal issue with our flying site and the AMA came in riding on a big white horse and handled it for us. Not only would we have lost our field but the lady was suing our club which would have busted us completely.

This would cover flying just about anywhere so long as you were flying within AMA guidelines.
Isn't that the problem though? It seems you almost need to be flying at an AMA field in order to follow their guidelines. I'm guessing a lot of Phantom pilots are breaking at least one of their rules each time they fly.

Isn't that the problem though? It seems you almost need to be flying at an AMA field in order to follow their guidelines. I'm guessing a lot of Phantom pilots are breaking at least one of their rules each time they fly.

Not really. They are pretty simple to follow for the most part. I'd guess busting one of them occasionally wouldn't be a big issue so long as that isn't the cause of the crash/incident. It's like speeding down the road. Speeding isn't that big of a deal unless speeding leads up to the accident. All of this is very subjective so YMMV but I still maintain my AMA insurance even though I haven't flown from my "membership field" since last fall. For just $75 it's well worth it just in case.

As a side note many people feel like the AMA isn't on their side... but they really are they just take their time making changes to their "legal framework" to encompass this new 'area' for model aircraft.

Not really. They are pretty simple to follow for the most part.
They certainly are super simple to follow if someone is attempting to follow them. However, after reviewing countless flight logs/videos that people have posted here, many of them have broken at least one of the following rules:
  • All pilots shall avoid flying directly over unprotected people, vessels, vehicles or structures
  • At all flying sites a safety line(s) must be established in front of which all flying takes place
  • Under no circumstances may a pilot or other person touch an outdoor model aircraft in flight while it is still under power, except to divert it from striking an individual
  • Maintain control during the entire flight, maintaining visual contact without enhancement other than by corrective lenses prescribed for the pilot
  • The flying area must be clear of all nonessential participants and spectators before the engine is started
Perhaps I'm being a little too pedantic about it though. I'm just thinking the AMA would have an easy out if someone did a colossal amount of damage and they did not want to foot the bill.

Picking the discussion on this. Do we have any example or story of the AMA insurance helping a drone pilot? Or the opposite, the AMA using their guidelines as a way out to avoid supporting a drone pilot?

I have been a member of AMA for many year when I was more active on R/C. I stopped the mebership few years back. Considering joining again, mainly for insurance coverage when I fly the Phantom (for recreational purpose only).

While I strictly respect all FAA rules, I'm concerned with inability respect the AMA guideline at most flying sites. Many of the terms are so losely defined that it would be easy to argue the pilot didn't respect all provisions.

Appreciate the feedback.
Thank you,

I've been an AMA member for many years....

1903GasGasAffinityCard.jpg

Oh wait...

:rolleyes:

Also, the FAA just came out with a ruling that AMA members are not required to adhere to the 400 ft altitude restriction if they follow all AMA guidelines.
This is 100% incorrect. Anyone can fly over 400' if done in not violating any regulations and flying in a safe manner.

It's been discussed to death. It's where the post above comes from... the AMA obtained a letter from the FAA confirming that is was a recommendation, not an actual regulation. The FAA has put out a _lot_ of bogus information and mis-information.

Where is that post? I'd love to read it

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik