AMA membership

Reaction score
I just got my Academy of Model Aeronautics membership ^_^
For me in Nashville, TN, I have to get RC Permit to fly in parks around here. To get my permit, I need to have AMA membership to have:
Liability Coverage for the Operation of Model Aircraft, Boats, Cars, and Rockets
$2,500,000 Comprehensive General Liability Protection for model activities for members, clubs, site owners, and sponsors
$25,000 Accident/Medical Coverage for members
$10,000 Maximum Accidental Death Coverage for members
$1,000 Fire, Theft, and Vandalism Coverage for members
Primary Site Owner Insurance ‑ up to $5,000,000 each location

So tomorrow, off to get my permit for my son & i.

How about your area?

$ 29.00 and will be good up to 12/31/2014.

read the fine print..

"AMA insurance is “excess” to any other applicable coverage, such as homeowner’s"

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/Insu ... embers.pdf

This means you must first file a claim with your homeowner's insurance...anything outside of the damages they wont cover, then the AMA steps in... atleast this is my understanding. Am I wrong?

Senior Citizens $24. :)

The AMA site isn't real clear on the annual membership. The discounted, $29 is just for until the end of the year? Then the renewal will be $58 on Jan 1?

tizzl10 said:
read the fine print..

"AMA insurance is “excess” to any other applicable coverage, such as homeowner’s"

This means you must first file a claim with your homeowner's insurance...anything outside of the damages they wont cover, then the AMA steps in... atleast this is my understanding. Am I wrong?

I don't think homeowners insurance would cover you damaging someone's car, or smashing into someone's face.

tizzl10 said:
read the fine print..

Well, without AMA, I can't get Metro RC Permit :(
And when I fly my P2V+, I'll more chance of losing it in the trees than hitting a person since there isn't much place I can fly outside of metro parks

Homeowners insurance CAN cover you away from home. Similar to if your dog gets out and bites someone down the street. You'd need to check with your insurance provider to make sure you're covered.

I've also read that AMA only covers supplemental at AMA fields or possibly places you have permission.

ryanhoelzer said:
I've also read that AMA only covers supplemental at AMA fields or possibly places you have permission.

AMA insurance is active anywhere you fly as long as you fly in accordance with the Safety Code. Having formal permission is not a hard requirement, but it would be better to have it than not to have it.

I went to the park office today & I totally forgot it was Saturday. When you're self-employed, sometimes you forget lol
I guess I'll use "I didn't know I couldn't fly here without park permit." excuse today. >_>

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl