AMA has not changed its position. sUAS News thinks otherwise

Not True! The AMA didn't reverse position.

Read the entire article or read the below I received today from AMA.

Ronbo

Communication
AMATodayHeaderV2_03b.png
spacer.gif

spacer.gif
Monday, January 11, 2016
spacer.gif

Dear Members,

As you know, we have been working with our legal counsel and the FAA to find a solution for our members on the registration rule. To date, FAA has agreed in principle to several proposed initiatives that will help ease this process for our members. Specifically, they are:

• AMA and the FAA are working to streamline the registration process for AMA members whereby those who register with the FAA will be able to use their AMA number as the primary identification on their model aircraft, as opposed to adding a new federal registration number.
  • In addition, AMA members' federal registration will automatically renew provided membership remains active and current. We are working with FAA in negotiating the renewal fee, but in any case it is envisioned the renewal process will be provided as a member benefit.
  • In the future, federal registration will automatically be accomplished upon joining the AMA, eliminating the need to register with both AMA and the FAA.

These initiatives are a step in the right direction. However, we want to emphasize that this is not the end of our efforts to protect AMA members from this overreaching regulation. We are continuing to explore all legal and political options available, but these conversations may take time and a definitive solution is unlikely before the February 19 registration deadline.

Currently, registration is free of charge until January 19. If you would like to take advantage of this free period, you may want to register before that day. But please note that you have until February 19 to register in order to avoid violating the federal rule.

We also want to encourage our members to submit comments to the FAA about the registration rule. It is critical that all AMA members are heard loud and clear on this issue. The deadline for submitting comments is Friday, January 15.Additional instruction is available here.

Thank you for your patience as we work to find the best path forward on registration. We are committed to doing everything possible to protect our hobby and ensure that future generations have the opportunity to fly.

Sincerely,

AMA

So, does this mean for the price of admission to the AMA you can fly over 400 ft without retribution?
Just askin'
Personally, I really don't go that high anyway. But it seems to me that if you wanted to go that high without getting in trouble, all you have to do is join the AMA.
Do I got this right? Or am I just nuts.....wait don't answer that.....lol

Q: Am I permitted to fly above 400 feet? What if I had to check a box saying otherwise on the federal registration website?

A: Yes. AMA members who abide by the AMA Safety Code, which permits flights above 400 feet, are still allowed to fly and are protected by the Special Rule for Model Aircraft under the 2012 FAA Modernization and Reform Act. The federal registration box requiring agreement to only fly under 400 feet applies to individuals who are not operating within the safety guidelines of a community-based organization. We have been in discussions with the FAA about this point and the agency has indicted that it will be updating its website in the next week to make clear that this altitude restriction does not apply to AMA members.

It's apparent the AMA is trying to use this, FAA registration, as a means to an end, more AMA members.

After reading this, I did a double take and basically see it as lipstick on the same pig.

The only thing it really does is benefit the AMA in a way to grow its ranks but does not really serve the members. Well outside of the 400' rule. Now if that would impact the 30 mile SRFA and other things along that line, well, then some real progress is made, else, I see no benefit to renewing my AMA membership. Otherwise it looks like the leaders served themselves.

To date, FAA has agreed in principle to several proposed initiatives that will help ease this process for our members.

Wow how much easier do they need it to be??? I may not like this whole registration scheme but in no way shape or form is it in any way a hard or difficult process. I think even the speshial ed kids my old lady teaches could fill out the registration info with out needing any help and there are kids that are so messed up when you tell them they have to write your name on the top of the worksheet next to were it says name. They litterly write the words YOUR NAME lots of times thinking they are doing exactly as instructed to do. and need to be told no Billy your name is BILL not your name.

I think the only way they could make it any easier for the registration would be if they took paypal and if they had it so some one only had to enter there paypal email and log in and have paypal fill in the info for the name and address for them.

Its sort of weird to think of any one finding the registration process all that difficult yet they some how are expected to be intelligent enough to also safely fly an rc craft of any kind dont seem to compute right. It would seem to me that any one finding that process to be a big drawn out process that needs to be less difficult would also have a hard time reading a safety check list or even being able to tie there own shoes before heading out to go fly some place.

Reactions: WetDog
Latest notice

You're receiving this email because of your affiliation with the Academy of Model Aeronautics.

spacer.gif

Academy of Model Aeronautics
Member Communication

AMATodayHeaderV2_03b.png

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

Monday, January 11, 2016
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

Dear Members,

As you know, we have been working with our legal counsel and the FAA to find a solution for our members on the registration rule. To date, FAA has agreed in principle to several proposed initiatives that will help ease this process for our members. Specifically, they are:

• AMA and the FAA are working to streamline the registration process for AMA members whereby those who register with the FAA will be able to use their AMA number as the primary identification on their model aircraft, as opposed to adding a new federal registration number.
  • In addition, AMA members' federal registration will automatically renew provided membership remains active and current. We are working with FAA in negotiating the renewal fee, but in any case it is envisioned the renewal process will be provided as a member benefit.
  • In the future, federal registration will automatically be accomplished upon joining the AMA, eliminating the need to register with both AMA and the FAA.
These initiatives are a step in the right direction. However, we want to emphasize that this is not the end of our efforts to protect AMA members from this overreaching regulation. We are continuing to explore all legal and political options available, but these conversations may take time and a definitive solution is unlikely before the February 19 registration deadline.

Currently, registration is free of charge until January 19. If you would like to take advantage of this free period, you may want to register before that day. But please note that you have until February 19 to register in order to avoid violating the federal rule.

We also want to encourage our members to submit comments to the FAA about the registration rule. It is critical that all AMA members are heard loud and clear on this issue. The deadline for submitting comments is Friday, January 15. Additional instruction is available here.

Thank you for your patience as we work to find the best path forward on registration. We are committed to doing everything possible to protect our hobby and ensure that future generations have the opportunity to fly.

Sincerely,

AMA

spacer.gif

© 2016 Academy of Model Aeronautics.
5161 E. Memorial Dr., Muncie IN 47302
Tel.: (800) 435-9262; Fax.: (765) 289-4248
All rights reserved.

www.modelaircraft.org

spacer.gif

For problems with this email please contact [email protected]. To unsubscribe click HERE.

The title here is very misleading. They HAVE NOT changed their stance on FAA registration. Please read, this comes straight from the article...

Q: Why did AMA change its position on registration? Why are they telling members to register now?

A: AMA has not changed its position. We continue to be disappointed with the registration rule and believe it is contrary to Congress’s intent within the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, which is part of the 2012 FAA Modernization and Reform Act. We have been working with our legal counsel and the FAA to find a solution for our members on the registration rule. To date, we have achieved several concessions from the FAA that will help ease this process for our members.

However, we want to emphasize that this is not the end of our efforts to protect AMA members from this unnecessary and burdensome regulation. We are continuing to explore all legal and political options available, but these conversations may take time and a long-term solution is unlikely before the February 19 registration deadline. For this reason, we are suggesting that AMA members may wish to take advantage of free registration period, which is available until January 19.

PS - title edited

The title here is very misleading. They HAVE NOT changed their stance on FAA registration. Please read, this comes straight from the article...

Q: Why did AMA change its position on registration? Why are they telling members to register now?

A: AMA has not changed its position. We continue to be disappointed with the registration rule and believe it is contrary to Congress’s intent within the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, which is part of the 2012 FAA Modernization and Reform Act. We have been working with our legal counsel and the FAA to find a solution for our members on the registration rule. To date, we have achieved several concessions from the FAA that will help ease this process for our members.

However, we want to emphasize that this is not the end of our efforts to protect AMA members from this unnecessary and burdensome regulation. We are continuing to explore all legal and political options available, but these conversations may take time and a long-term solution is unlikely before the February 19 registration deadline. For this reason, we are suggesting that AMA members may wish to take advantage of free registration period, which is available until January 19.

PS - title edited

Thanks for the edit. As you can see, right after I posted this I agreed that this was not a position change and that I could not edit the title.

Thanks for the edit. As you can see, right after I posted this I agreed that this was not a position change and that I could not edit the title.
I saw that. I wouldn't of changed it without letting you know but since you already had mentioned you couldn't do it I went ahead and edited it for you. ;)

Reactions: B- Scene Films

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj