AMA for Insurance

Reaction score
Does anyone know if AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) membership which provides insurance would cover us during our activities with the Phantom. I would think so, but have not read through the fine print. If not what do others do for insurance ?

If you follow the AMA safety codes while flying, their insurance will cover you.

Chances are that you'll never need the insurance, but it's helpful to be able to show the card and honestly tell people that you have insurance.

-- Roger

I have an AMA for the purpose of insurance and something to show, just in case. I also find their magazine nice to read.

What I didn't read though was that the membership is seasonal. So 2014 membership is for 2014 only, not 365 total days. So if you bought it today, it expires New Years 2015.

Yep, just checked mines.. says expires 12/31/2014.

That makes sense. I checked before I posted how much it costs and I don't remember paying $29 for it (it was more like $40-ish a month ago).

Just renewed my membership. It had been expired for a number of years. It was $29 through the end of the year.

Here is the AMA Safety Code. Flying in accordance with this is the most important thing when considering if your flying is covered.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.pdf

Keep in mind that AMA does not cover anything other than pure hobby/recreational flying and it is secondary to any other insurance you might have. If you have none, then it is primary. But even being secondary is meaningful since most liability claims will easily exceed most home owner's policy limits.

Here's the insurance summary:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/Insu ... embers.pdf

I suppose it depends on how/where you fly..... it might help you out

Be aware:

No FPV
below 400 feet
within LOS (line of sight) at all times
Don't be doing anything commercial (filming for real estate or whatever)

These are just a few of the limitations

CactusJackSlade said:

Be aware:

No FPV
below 400 feet

No FPV? Where does it say that?!

UrAwFuL said:

The AMA safety code doesn't say "no FPV." In fact, it describes the requirements for FPV flying. Specifically, a "spotter" is required to keep line of sight with the aircraft that is being flown by FPV.

https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/550.pdf

But, what most of us call "FPV" isn't what the AMA safety code is describing. When I fly my P2V, I use the "FPV" to see what the camera is pointed at and to control the camera. But, most of the time I'm flying watching the aircraft. So, I'm not really flying by FPV. A few Phantom pilots do fly solely using FPV (some use goggles), though.

-- Roger

CactusJackSlade said:

Be aware:

No FPV
below 400 feet

Well actually the first two are NOT AMA limitations. They do require LOS but do allow FPV and goggles. I previsouly noted they do not cover commercialflying.

Just wanted to thank you for posting this. I just signed up. It's just another ace up my sleeve to be able to pull out my card and tell people that I am insured. I still don't necessarily believe that they would pay out a claim... but that's a different story. At a bare minimum, I can enjoy the magazine.

sidebox said:
Just wanted to thank you for posting this. I just signed up. It's just another ace up my sleeve to be able to pull out my card and tell people that I am insured. I still don't necessarily believe that they would pay out a claim... but that's a different story. At a bare minimum, I can enjoy the magazine.

Follow the Safety Code and there is very little chance that a claim will not be paid.

UrAwFuL said:
CactusJackSlade said:

Be aware:

No FPV
below 400 feet

Well, OK, kind of to FPV but limited: Must have spotter and must never leave line of visual sight, must use approved FCC frequencies. Many of the popular downlink frequencies or probably more rather the power levels are not approved, also need a Ham radio license... so if you can live with that then maybe... but if you are using goggles for FPV, even with a spotter, then you will go against the FAA's most recent interpretation of the current "rules".

I would suspect that if you went looking for an insurance claim on an FPV incident you'd need to have your T's crossed and your i's dotted or they would wiggle out of covering you.

More info here:
AMA FPV info
https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/550.pdf

latest FAA FPV info
http://02b954f.netsolhost.com/docs/model_aircraft_spec_rule.pdf

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4