Reaction score
Anyone have this?

Full "OPEN" Membership:
  • Age 19-65 - $58
  • 65 & over - $48
  • Under 19 (as of July 1st) - Free
  • Additional family members - $30 Benefits:
  • $2,500,000 personal liability insurance coverage
  • $25,000 Medical Coverage-AD&D Policy ($10,000 Death Benefit)
  • $1,000 Fire, Theft, and Vandalism coverage
  • Model Aviation monthly magazine
  • Access to members only section of website
  • Ability to fly at thousands of AMA chartered club sites with appropriate club membership
  • Toll free customer service – 1-800-I-Fly-AMA (435-9262)
  • Always comply with the AMA Safety Code.

A bunch of people on here do. It's up for debate whether it's worth it since it kicks in only after your own liability insurance is exhausted. I guess the magazine is pretty good though.

Yes. If you are considering it for insurance purposes make sure you read the safety code. if you deviate at all from it you will not be covered in any way.

Join for the mag., sense of community, comradery, support of the hobby... but not for the insurance.

I am a member. Joining helps the hobby you love continue to thrive. The AMA is the voice of all rc pilots.
Without them working with the FAA we would probably be facing much tougher restrictions.
Join up and help everyone out, plus the free magazine! ;)

I need to have it to fly in the park.
Well, I need AMA membership to get the permit to fly in metro parks.

Probably some miscommunication.

AMA will not cover you in a park UNLESS that park has a dedicated or other special purpose location reserved for model aviation so why that is being stipulated should be examined closely.
It also only kicks-in after you've exhausted the coverage of your homeowners insurance.

ama is a waste of money. the only fields in nyc are filled with old goats that complain and have 1000 rules and u are only allowed to fly in circles. its perfectly legal to fly reasonably sized 'parkfliers' in city parks and many other places. u are better off getting umbrella insurance if u are worried, i've read ama is notorious for denying claims.

ama is a waste of money. the only fields in nyc are filled with old goats that complain and have 1000 rules and u are only allowed to fly in circles. its perfectly legal to fly reasonably sized 'parkfliers' in city parks and many other places. u are better off getting umbrella insurance if u are worried, i've read ama is notorious for denying claims.

This is not true everywhere so you should condition that statement.

AMA will not cover you in a park UNLESS that park has a dedicated or other special purpose location reserved for model aviation so why that is being stipulated should be examined closely.

That's not true. AMA insurance covers you anytime you fly following their safety codes.

-- Roger

trust me, there is no reason to get ama if u are going to be flying a phantom. ama is just a money hungry corporation that is actually trying to monopolize on rc flying. dont u find it strange that sections of public parks are blocked off from public use to a private corporation? they only lobby for themselves just to make as much money as possible and maintain control. if u really want to support the hobby, go out and fly, people will see, gain interest and join in. i even occassionally fly right next to the ama field, except that they have access to the parking spaces, and i dont. IN A PUBLIC PARK! For some reason they are allowed to gate off 1/3 of an entire park of which 1/3 is their flying field, so that 2/3 that is gated in is rarely used by the public, likely because they get confused if its part of the park or not... they have keys to the gate and can drive in, anyone else must walk or bike in...

Last edited:
That's not true. AMA insurance covers you anytime you fly following their safety codes.

-- Roger

Ok, won't split hairs with you as technically you are correct.

However the safety code requirements required by AMA Doc. #706 are not likely to exist anywhere but designated flying sites. The devil is in the details.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/706.pdf

they are almost like herbalife. they are the main controlling entity, but then u have all the clubs that are also corporations, which are in it to make money as well, off of the use of public land. because the owners of the clubs make money, ama gains a large number of people who preach ama to everyone. same exact story as herbalife.

ugh, i should also mention that its usually ama members, club owners or affiliates who keep spreading misinformation on the legality of rc flying. they even love to call cops on people who are perfectly within their legal rights and try to confuse the officers who show up. i never had any real issues, but it just goes to show how they abuse the system, and lay waste to taxpayer money for their own personal gain.

It is unlikely that you would ever need to file an insurance claim. And AMA insurance is secondary. So, few will ever file an AMA claim. Having the insurance and the AMA card, though, is useful in cases such as the one posted earlier. It shows others that you do have insurance. It can often be the deciding factor in getting permission to fly at a specific location.

-- Roger

There is much more to the AMA than insurance. They promote the hobby and fight for it on your behalf. Without them it would be a lot harder to enjoy your hobby. Without a voice like the AMA there would be many more restrictions. If it wasn't for the AMA the new FAA rules coming out would be much more restrictive. There is more influence and power in an organization than just your voice.

Reactions: jadebox
thats just the usual bs they keep feeding everyone. there is no ama in europe or asia or wherever. everyone just uses common sense. how do know that it wasn't the ama who started the whole issue with the faa? rc is a hobby, just toys, shouldn't have anything to do with the faa.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers