Am I the only idiot here?

Reaction score
Let me begin by saying that I'm not stupid. In fact, I'm extremely intelligent (and modest ;)). My IQ has been measured somewhere above 70 in fact. Anyway, today after flying, I put one of my two batteries on the charger (the cooler of the two). An hour or so later I returned and was surprised to see no lights flashing on it. It had apparently charged much faster than I expected it to. I removed it from the charger and hooked up the second battery. As I did so, I pressed the button on the first battery to verify a full charge. Only one light came on. It was my oldest battery so I thought it must be dying and could no longer hold a charge. It was at that moment I noticed the second battery on the charger wasn't flashing at all! Crap! My charger must be bad or.....yep! The charger wasn't plugged in to the wall! As I said earlier, I'm not stupid but I can be quite an idiot sometimes. Anyone else care to embarrass themselves by admitting to some bonehead thing they've done? Don't leave me hanging here by confirming I'm the only idiot!

I had a dumb moment when I flew my phantom for the first time and landed it then a phantom appeared over the trees looking down so I rushed and put my second battery in and forgot I loosened the props. It threw one prop and it danced upside down violently. I hope who ever was watching dose not post the video to embarrass me haha. I returned the phantom to bestbuy and told them the truth. The manager was extremely helpful and swapped the bird for another. I felt like a complete dumb a**. Live and learn.

I had a dumb moment when I flew my phantom for the first time and landed it then a phantom appeared over the trees looking down so I rushed and put my second battery in and forgot I loosened the props. It threw one prop and it danced upside down violently. I hope who ever was watching dose not post the video to embarrass me haha. I returned the phantom to bestbuy and told them the truth. The manager was extremely helpful and swapped the bird for another. I felt like a complete dumb a**. Live and learn.
Wow I can't believe they exchanged it.

Reactions: Sky Architect
Anyone ever ""accidentally"" turn off their controller while flying? Yup that's my dumb*** moment about had a heart attack!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

When you're a new drone pilot and you are so cautious of everything. You tend to make a goof of yourself. I read the manukau a lot specially in the bathroom (I don't know why either)! Anyway, when I bought my phantom 4, i didn't realized that it was the start of the rainy season. So naturally I can't fly them outside. I did try and use the flight simulator though just to learn a few things about flying and for me not to kill myself in frustration for not flying it. Did my preflight check list so when the sun finally appears even for a mere 5 minutes, I can take off and land just so I can physically fly my new drone... because it has been three weeks since I bought it and it was raining almost every single day since I got it.

27 days later!!! The sun was finally out! So I ran outside, did the preliminary checklist! And lastly put the propellers on... fire the iPad and DJI go! Everything looks great! Pushed the left joystick up... and there you go! The propellers flew alright but not with the phantom 4! I was apparently so gentle (it was my first drone and I'm just really being careful, alright?! [emoji13]).. apparently I placed the props but didn't tighten it that well for fear that I tighten it too much, I'd break it. There you go... embarrassing! And I saw my neighbors chuckling while staring at me... I'd say it's rude but I think I made his day. Cheers everyone!

When you're a new drone pilot and you are so cautious of everything. You tend to make a goof of yourself. I read the manukau a lot specially in the bathroom (I don't know why either)! Anyway, when I bought my phantom 4, i didn't realized that it was the start of the rainy season. So naturally I can't fly them outside. I did try and use the flight simulator though just to learn a few things about flying and for me not to kill myself in frustration for not flying it. Did my preflight check list so when the sun finally appears even for a mere 5 minutes, I can take off and land just so I can physically fly my new drone... because it has been three weeks since I bought it and it was raining almost every single day since I got it.

27 days later!!! The sun was finally out! So I ran outside, did the preliminary checklist! And lastly put the propellers on... fire the iPad and DJI go! Everything looks great! Pushed the left joystick up... and there you go! The propellers flew alright but not with the phantom 4! I was apparently so gentle (it was my first drone and I'm just really being careful, alright?! [emoji13]).. apparently I placed the props but didn't tighten it that well for fear that I tighten it too much, I'd break it. There you go... embarrassing! And I saw my neighbors chuckling while staring at me... I'd say it's rude but I think I made his day. Cheers everyone!

I'm still laughing! Thanks for making me feel better with that story.

My favorite story on myself involved a visit to an attorney's office. After a consultation, I started to leave. Not knowing if I was going to be charged or not AND not knowing if one pays as they leave like it's done at a doctor's office, I began to mentally form the question I was going to ask the receptionist. My questions were "Is there anything you need from me?" and "Is there anything I need to do for you?" (meaning, fill out paperwork, etc.)

In my haste, I walked up to the desk and blurted out, "Is there anything I need to do to you before I leave?"

Fortunately, she had a good sense of humor and replied with, "Wow! That's the best offer I've had all day!"

I'm still laughing! Thanks for making me feel better with that story.

My favorite story on myself involved a visit to an attorney's office. After a consultation, I started to leave. Not knowing if I was going to be charged or not AND not knowing if one pays as they leave like it's done at a doctor's office, I began to mentally form the question I was going to ask the receptionist. My questions were "Is there anything you need from me?" and "Is there anything I need to do for you?" (meaning, fill out paperwork, etc.)

In my haste, I walked up to the desk and blurted out, "Is there anything I need to do to you before I leave?"

Fortunately, she had a good sense of humor and replied with, "Wow! That's the best offer I've had all day!"

I bet she was flattered haha

What happens does it drop?
No, it does not drop. When working correctly, it should go into GTH or hover mode, whichever it is setup to do when it loses signal.

Reactions: gvsukids

That is awesome, to bad that wasn't recorded!
Wow I got to try that and film it!

Rod

Yep, I've turned off the controller thinking I pushed RTH. Wondered why it hesitated so long, then panic when I need to regain control and the remote does nothing!

LOL yes the moment you realize what you've done and that feeling of dread washes through you!

In Iceland, just completed a surprisingly harrowing drive in the rented 4x4 to visit a famous waterfall. After wandering around and taking conventional photos I decide to get some drone footage...

The grass was too long and the gimbal wouldn't be able to move properly, so I used a paved footpath as the launching site, which was nice and flat, checked for home point recorded, checked direction of wind, checked sun angle, checked remote battery, checked Fanny's battery, checked my phone battery, checked I had green 'Safe to fly, GPS', and took off.. wheeee!

All was good, got a nice view, came back, smooth but rapid descent so I wouldn't disturb some other tourists nearby - and darn near gave a haircut to a passing pedestrian! Came within inches of boinking her on the head..

Happily I spotted her at the very last instant, so was able to rise Fanny up again. The lady was entirely oblivious, looking at the waterfall until Fanny was about 6 inches from her head, where even the roaring falls couldn't hide the angry swarm of bees (ASoB) noise that Fanny makes.

Lesson learned - while checking everything, make sure nobody has wandered into the landing area (especially if you're daft enough to use a public footpath as a launching pad...) and don't presume they will see/hear you descending.

Happily the lady in question was cheerful about it and actually apologized to me, as most Icelandic tourists are naturally adventurous types :) The incident passed with us both saying "Sorry, sorry!" to each other and no harm done.

Last edited:
Let me begin by saying that I'm not stupid. In fact, I'm extremely intelligent (and modest ;)). My IQ has been measured somewhere above 70 in fact. Anyway, today after flying, I put one of my two batteries on the charger (the cooler of the two). An hour or so later I returned and was surprised to see no lights flashing on it. It had apparently charged much faster than I expected it to. I removed it from the charger and hooked up the second battery. As I did so, I pressed the button on the first battery to verify a full charge. Only one light came on. It was my oldest battery so I thought it must be dying and could no longer hold a charge. It was at that moment I noticed the second battery on the charger wasn't flashing at all! Crap! My charger must be bad or.....yep! The charger wasn't plugged in to the wall! As I said earlier, I'm not stupid but I can be quite an idiot sometimes. Anyone else care to embarrass themselves by admitting to some bonehead thing they've done? Don't leave me hanging here by confirming I'm the only idiot!
I really hope you are just kidding about being just over 70. That is on the borderline of intelligence.

I really hope you are just kidding about being just over 70. That is on the borderline of intelligence.
Haha. Yes, just kidding. I'm afraid if I really take an IQ test, my score will be lower than I think it is. My wife says I sometimes remind her of the guy that said his most precious possession is his faux Salvidor Dali painting of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to draw a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch.

Last edited:
Reactions: makokiller

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj